• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

This might be a difficult request.

I'm searching for (lack of a better description) a catch-all term to refer to the island regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Since they're all based on Japan in some way, I figure they might have general term to refer to all them and their language in universe. I know Kantonian is probably the go-to for the name, but I don't want it to be for all the regions despite it probably being the case.

I had Chouyou recommended through the Writers' Workshop Discord channel as the name to call all four as it is a form of the word Sunrise in Japanese, though I am unsure what to mutate into for the other necessary stuff.

Thanks in advance if anyone can think of anything.

This might be a difficult request.

I'm searching for (lack of a better description) a catch-all term to refer to the island regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Since they're all based on Japan in some way, I figure they might have general term to refer to all them and their language in universe. I know Kantonian is probably the go-to for the name, but I don't want it to be for all the regions despite it probably being the case.

I had Chouyou recommended through the Writers' Workshop Discord channel as the name to call all four as it is a form of the word Sunrise in Japanese, though I am unsure what to mutate into for the other necessary stuff.

Thanks in advance if anyone can think of anything.

I've seen at least one fanfiction where the country is just called "Nihon" (日本、the Japanese name for Japan). It means "land of the rising sun", which sort of ties into Chouyou meaning sunrise, so my suggestion is to use other Japanese words related to the sun.

I'm sorry if I read something wrong and misunderstood your question, but what "other necessary stuff" are you referring to?

I've seen at least one fanfiction where the country is just called "Nihon" (日本、the Japanese name for Japan). It means "land of the rising sun", which sort of ties into Chouyou meaning sunrise, so my suggestion is to use other Japanese words related to the sun.

I'm sorry if I read something wrong and misunderstood your question, but what "other necessary stuff" are you referring to?
I didn't really wanted to Nihon as my thing and the other necessary stuff is like the language name. Japanese to whatever I'm naming it (for example I renamed the canon Johtonian to Johtonese in my universe).

Last edited:
I didn't really wanted to Nihon is my thing and the other necessary stuff is like the language name. Japanese to whatever I'm naming it (for example I renamed the canon Johtonian to Johtonese in my universe).
Ahhhhh I see.

Well, that depends. If you were to use, say, Hinode (日の出, "sunrise") as the name of the country, you could use "Hinodeian", "Hinodenian", "Hinodenese", or, following Japanese grammar, "Hinodego" (日の出語). (For, say, people from Hinode, you would use "Hinodejin"—日の出人.)

Last edited:
Ahhhhh I see.

Well, that depends. If you were to use, say, Hinode (日の出, "sunrise") as the name of the country, you could use "Hinodeian", "Hinodenian", "Hinodenese", or, following Japanese grammar, "Hinodego". (For, say, people from Hinode, you would use "Hinojin".)
That might actually work, I like that. Thanks.

for future reference, here's an interesting and useful article on where real countries' names have come from.

since Kanto and Johto are linked, I refer to them collectively as Tohjo, named after the Tohjo Falls. i describe the people in them as ethnically Tohjoan, which is basically Japanese by appearance. i have not encountered the need to talk about poké-Japan as a whole so i haven't made a choice regarding it, but if i had to come up with something, i'd likely use a similar strategy as Hinode, finding the etymological root and then taking a different path from it.

for future reference, here's an interesting and useful article on where real countries' names have come from.

since Kanto and Johto are linked, I refer to them collectively as Tohjo, named after the Tohjo Falls. i describe the people in them as ethnically Tohjoan, which is basically Japanese by appearance. i have not encountered the need to talk about poké-Japan as a whole so i haven't made a choice regarding it, but if i had to come up with something, i'd likely use a similar strategy as Hinode, finding the etymological root and then taking a different path from it.
Ooooh that article has some interesting stuff.

Also hi there! I haven't seen you around in a while (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places).

Aaaaaaaand I'm back with my own question.

I need the names of sky gods/sky deities. It's not a situation where I need a list right now lest I spontaneously combust, but it would be nice to have one for future reference.

The names also don't have to come from one specific culture/mythology.

Aaaaaaaand I'm back with my own question.

I need the names of sky gods/sky deities. It's not a situation where I need a list right now lest I spontaneously combust, but it would be nice to have one for future reference.

The names also don't have to come from one specific culture/mythology.
Here’s a list of sky gods and deities from Wikipedia, though one thing to note is that some of the names listed here are from deities that moreso represent celestial bodies than the sky itself, in general. Hope this helps!

I'm planning to run an Animorphs AU oneshot event on another website towards the end of the year, and I still can't think of a catchy title.

I'm planning to write an Animorphs fanfic about a girl who has a strained relationship with her older sister. My only ideas for a title are really generic things like Sister Mine or Sister Dearest. Any better ideas?

I'm planning to write an Animorphs fanfic about a girl who has a strained relationship with her older sister. My only ideas for a title are really generic things like Sister Mine or Sister Dearest. Any better ideas?
Honestly Sister Dearest, as generic as it is, is a cliche for a reason. That being said, maybe something like “My (un)Loving Sister” or something else playing with un- and dis- or ex- or -in words?

Back
Top Bottom