• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

I need some advice on a better name for a type of power that I created for a prototype series: Shooting Star Rider. It's a power that Obsidian, the protag, will eventually gain. It's a power based off of the various constellations of Earth, like Taurus, Scorpius, Aries, Lupus, and others. They're similar to the Noise Changes from Mega Man Star Force 3, albeit they more sense regarding the lore of the series (Constellatons, Obsidian's race, draw power from the stars, and create "Star Links" with people they're close to, and multiple Star Links create a "Constellation", hence their species' name). The power is tentatively called "Star Power" but I want a better name. I know I could've gone with "Star Force", but that would be treading too closely to this series' inspirations (MegaMan Battle Network and Star Force). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I need some advice on a better name for a type of power that I created for a prototype series: Shooting Star Rider. It's a power that Obsidian, the protag, will eventually gain. It's a power based off of the various constellations of Earth, like Taurus, Scorpius, Aries, Lupus, and others. They're similar to the Noise Changes from Mega Man Star Force 3, albeit they more sense regarding the lore of the series (Constellatons, Obsidian's race, draw power from the stars, and create "Star Links" with people they're close to, and multiple Star Links create a "Constellation", hence their species' name). The power is tentatively called "Star Power" but I want a better name. I know I could've gone with "Star Force", but that would be treading too closely to this series' inspirations (MegaMan Battle Network and Star Force). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
First thing that comes to mind is Zodiac something, but Lupus isn't a Zodiac sign :confused:. If the power comes from making connections with others, maybe something based on connections? Maybe Intercelestial Force (a play on intermolecular force, which keeps molecules together). fwiw I think Star Links is a serviceable name already.

First thing that comes to mind is Zodiac something, but Lupus isn't a Zodiac sign :confused:. If the power comes from making connections with others, maybe something based on connections? Maybe Intercelestial Force (a play on intermolecular force, which keeps molecules together). fwiw I think Star Links is a serviceable name already.

I appreciate the help but this idea was ultimately scrapped. Well, the original idea was, anyway, as I recycled parts of it and another idea I had, combined them, and turned them into a new idea. It kept the 5 form idea from the Tribal Force idea while keeping the stellar/constellation theme of this one. The result is the Guardian Star power, where the forms are based off of five constellation (namely Draco, Centaurus, Hydrus, Aquila, and Cepheus) that are also based off of in-universe "tribal" races from another world (that ultimately meets the same fate as Obsidian's homeworld because the big bad wanted their sacred treasures, which are the cores of the tribes' powers, for herself, but it ends up in Obsidian's hands instead because the treasures were jettisoned into space disguised as a comet prior to the attack). But I appreciate the help regardless.

I'm writing a Pokemon fanfic that's basically a rewrite of ORAS. The main character is named Mare Birch and she's kinda overpowered. She's got, like, super strong Aura Powers and later gains the power of Rayquaza. She starts off moody and angsty but over the course of the story gains extreme faith in the inherent goodness of humanity and a hero complex. The main theme is about how humanity is inherently good and also that being a 12 year old with the weight of the world placed on your shoulders will really fuck you up. And that's what I'm trying to figure out a title for. Feel free to ask me more questions about this if it'll help I love talking about my stories.

Anyone here familiar with My Little Pony Generation 5? I'm s l o w l y writing the third chapter of a species swap AU, which introduces the hippogriffs, the counterparts of the pegasi. All the characters in this AU have different names, which are usually thematically similar to their original ones (eg: Sunny is a changeling called Solifuge). I have Queen Eventide and Anemone Petals as placeholder names for Queen Haven and Pipp Petals, respectively, but I don't really like either. Any better ideas? I've asked this in several MLP circles and gotten no responses.

@BackSet Maybe Dragon Ascending, as a pun on Dragon Ascent?

the only character i need a name for is from a story that isn't pokemon, so probably won't be posted here. all I have is that the main character is a teenage boy and the concept is that the sun mysteriously disappears and the book is about the main character trying to survive. the story will be as realistic as possible, except for the fact that the sun in the real world could not suddenly disappear and humans wouldn't survive long enough to make a story about them surviving. any suggestions for a name for the main character? sorry I don't have more details about the story.

Anyone here familiar with My Little Pony Generation 5? I'm s l o w l y writing the third chapter of a species swap AU, which introduces the hippogriffs, the counterparts of the pegasi. All the characters in this AU have different names, which are usually thematically similar to their original ones (eg: Sunny is a changeling called Solifuge). I have Queen Eventide and Anemone Petals as placeholder names for Queen Haven and Pipp Petals, respectively, but I don't really like either. Any better ideas? I've asked this in several MLP circles and gotten no responses.

@BackSet Maybe Dragon Ascending, as a pun on Dragon Ascent?
Oh that's a good one.

Unfortunately I named the fic before I saw this (An Account of Rayquaza's Chosen or Mare Birch's Very Bad, No Good, Horribe Quest to Save Humanity, its on AO3) but if I hadn't that's what I would have gone with.

Hi, I need a name for a one-shot character that'll appear in the next chapter of Dawn of Courage.

For context, he's a knight who has lost hope that the war with Muu will end in Edyn's victory so he effectively sells his soul to one of Muu's Undead Captains in exchange for power. He'll confront the party, using illusions to try to force the party to fight each other. Kettu sees through it and exposes the illusions while Sir Reginald will fight the knight, which will also debut some new spells that Sir Reginald has learned. The antagonistic knight also uses Wind magic, which allows him to counter Sir Reginald's Earth magic, as Wind is strong against Earth, and Sir Reginald has something of an Earth element laced into him, thus he takes more damage from Wind attacks. It'll also show a more creative side to Sir Reginald, as the type of magic he'll be using in this chapter is normally a detriment unless used with certain effects like the spell Dare. But I need a name for this knight who betrays Edyn in favor of Muu because he's lost all hope. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Anyone got any ideas for this hunger games Oc I’m working on?
She’s a 13 year old girl from district 7 (I think) and she starts as an overly emotional kinda person who does not wanna be there and about Halfway through the games ro the end she’s seen enough people die that’s she just goes… emotionally numb and doesn’t care about the lives of anyone else anymore she just wants to leave. I always thought that sort of person would be really interesting in a hunger games thing so the Oc is hereee

also she wins cause of a murder spree at the end cause she does not care anymore

yea that’s kinda.. dark ish ig but thats the hunger games

Anyone got any ideas for this hunger games Oc I’m working on?
She’s a 13 year old girl from district 7 (I think) and she starts as an overly emotional kinda person who does not wanna be there and about Halfway through the games ro the end she’s seen enough people die that’s she just goes… emotionally numb and doesn’t care about the lives of anyone else anymore she just wants to leave. I always thought that sort of person would be really interesting in a hunger games thing so the Oc is hereee

also she wins cause of a murder spree at the end cause she does not care anymore

yea that’s kinda.. dark ish ig but thats the hunger games
Nvm found a name

sienna Elwood cause district 7 and trees

In the fic I'm writing, one of the protags is a Weavile, who lives in a pack with 5 other Sneasels.

Anyone have any ideas for names for the Sneasels? I'll probably just keep Weavile as Weavile.
Is there a specific theme you're looking for with the naming itself? Like, do the Sneasels have more 'animal / pet / warriorcats' like names for instance...? trying to narrow it down so i can help o/

Is there a specific theme you're looking for with the naming itself? Like, do the Sneasels have more 'animal / pet / warriorcats' like names for instance...? trying to narrow it down so i can help o/
Great question! :ayeaye:

In the world the story is set in, I'd imagine Pokémon are just called by their species name, only giving themselves induvial names in spaces where more than one of the same species are close together. (Think of when theirs two Daniels in the same classroom.) Since society hasn't developed the need for surnames yet. (At least where the story takes place.)

Maybe the Sneasels individual names were given to them based upon their individual roles within the pack, whatever those are. (The pack is focused on thieving from other Pokémon, since I think making them predators makes things a bit too weird.)
Maybe they should be loosely named after moves Sneasel can learn?

Maybe the Sneasels individual names were given to them based upon their individual roles within the pack, whatever those are. (The pack is focused on thieving from other Pokémon, since I think making them predators makes things a bit too weird.)
Iiiinteresting iiiinteresting.. wondering what exactly the 'roles' for a group of thieves would be? I guess someone could like, incapacitate a victim, and then someone who sneaks around, and someone who grabs the stuff they want to steal... etc?
Maybe they should be loosely named after moves Sneasel can learn?
I like this idea!!

I can think of names from moves like Bite, Dig, Slash, Screech, Scratch, Taunt, etc, but most of those are some variation of '[movename] er' etc, which... you'd probably want more variation from that? Maybe? Sorry I'm not being of much help ahaha..

Iiiinteresting iiiinteresting.. wondering what exactly the 'roles' for a group of thieves would be? I guess someone could like, incapacitate a victim, and then someone who sneaks around, and someone who grabs the stuff they want to steal... etc?

I like this idea!!

I can think of names from moves like Bite, Dig, Slash, Screech, Scratch, Taunt, etc, but most of those are some variation of '[movename] er' etc, which... you'd probably want more variation from that? Maybe? Sorry I'm not being of much help ahaha..
I'd imagine they'd just gang up on their target and beat them into submission, before taking their stuff leaving them to freeze in the coldness of their domain.

Maybe add the suffix "er" them? (Like Biter, Slasher and Screecher.) That way they sound a bit more like names? I guess maybe I should actually figure out what their induvial personalities actually are! :hmm:

Don't worry, discussing with you has made me think more about my worldbuilding!

Back
Top Bottom