• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

I'm looking for a name for a Wobbuffet that is a main antagonist and can control others' minds with Shadow Tag.

Mindjack, maybe? I really tried to think of other possible names, but I couldn't unfortunately, so sorry if this isn't what you're looking for.

I myself need a name for a Squirtle wearing a firefighter helmet. I'm looking for something related to firefighters, but I can't think of something, I'm afraid.

Douse? Quench? Sluice? Not really related to firefighters in particular, but it is related to 'putting things out with water.'

Also, Hydrant.

I need a suitable name for a female judoka who is also a Fighting-type trainer. Shouldn't be too serious, since she has a rather cheerful, silly personality.

Would prefer a Western name. She also has a Breloom and a Heracross, if revealing her Pokemon team gives any ideas.

I need a suitable name for a female judoka who is also a Fighting-type trainer. Shouldn't be too serious, since she has a rather cheerful, silly personality.

Would prefer a Western name. She also has a Breloom and a Heracross, if revealing her Pokemon team gives any ideas.

Marcia (Martial arts, Mars...
Bella
Minnie (Minerva)
Tory (Victory)
Freya (Freyja)
Kyrie (Valkyrie)

Last edited:

Gina (from former MMA fighter Gina Carano)
Hitomi (from Hitomi Akano - a MMA fighter)

I need a name for a fifty something, male art professor and university lecturer - intelligent, calm, somewhat strict but not beyond a normal teacher. I need an intelligent sounding name but nothing too too fancy.

Would Reginald Addlington or Denton Llane work? I was originally going to use those names for characters who fit almost that exact description for a project of mine that never panned out.

Re: Last Name suggestions

How about Hugh Richards being based on "rich hues?"

For Skyla, Angel and Brycen Lee in reference to the action star. Iris Tiamet for a Dragon reference

For Elesa, I make it her stage name with her real name being Camellia Tesla (unbenounced to everybody else)

Re: Last Name suggestions

I did make some speculations on the English names before (Most of which failed). Here are some surnames based on the my previous guesses:

Bianca Albert (Albus: Latin for white)
Cheren Nigel (Niger: Latin for black)
Cilan/Chili/Cress Trinidad (Three)
Elesa Ambrose (Amber: Greek for electron)
Clay Terrell (Terra)
Iris/Drayden Basil (Basilisk)
Roxie Stryker (Strychnos nux-vomica)
Marlon Caspian (Caspian Sea)

Caitlin Cattley (Similar to Japanese name)
Grimsley Devlin (Devil)
Marshal Batista (WWE Wrestler)
Shauntal Alma (Spanish for soul)

Alder/Benga Rhodes (Similar to red and Rhopalocera)

How does "Peppi" sound? Could be short for Pepper.

I don't need a character name right now, but I need a convention name. In our world, we say people are "24 years old" or something similar, but the setting I'm trying to create is like a whole different world. Game of Thrones did something like "Lord Frey asks for your father's presence on his 90th name day." I wanna do something kinda like that, but I wanna stray away from "name day", "birthday" or "years old".

Most of the characters wouldn't be named the day they're born. The highborn lads and lasses would go through some sort of initiation rite about a month or two later. Perhaps it could be based off of that, like... "day of acceptance"... I dunno, just something nonstandard. Obviously not day of acceptance as that sounds completely bleeping stupid.

I really don't know why I'm stressing over this as it really is a minor detail, but I like to get really, really immersed in my worlds as I write them. Every last detail helps.

What exactly is the purpose of the rite? As in, how are the newborns different between before and after? Are they already considered nobles before the rite? Knowing that would make it easier to generate ideas.

Day of ascent?
Day of avowal?

The thesaurus is your friend.

What exactly is the purpose of the rite? As in, how are the newborns different between before and after? Are they already considered nobles before the rite? Knowing that would make it easier to generate ideas.

Day of ascent?
Day of avowal?

The thesaurus is your friend.
Most people are not given a name for many months due to a high death rate for newborns. Medicine has not advanced far enough yet to help newborns survive the harsh world they're brought into, but after the first few months, things start to work out in favour of the new guys and girls. Why go through all of that naming, bonding and ceremony if the child doesn't survive (especially since it's usually a lavish and expensive affair)?

Most of the highborn are considered nobles at birth, but this time also gives people a chance to learn if the child really is of noble blood or was born out of wedlock or adultery before they are given their status.

I've decided to go with something simple, something like our own, but slightly different. Something like "I've heard of a man living until his 70th year." But this also raises another question; I have years being measured by summers rather than months, IE "I was given my first horse three summers ago". So I'm not sure how I'll tie the two together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom