• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Re: Last Name suggestions

I usually go with a variety of surnames. I have a German surname myself, so I'm open to using surnames that aren't English or Japanese. In one of my fanfics, Morty's last name is Lenoir, which is French. Another fanfic of mine lists Hilbert's surname as Klump, which is German. And I make liberal use of Italian surnames (especially Sicilian) because I'm three-quarters Italian (for example, I gave Nate the surname Todaro - a Sicilian surname). The weirdest last name I used was on Grimsley. In my fanfics, his last name is Boros - a Hungarian last name. The same story lists his one of his two middle names as Attila, which is in reference to Attila the Hun (and it's also a common name in Hungary). I chose Hungarian because I think the language sounds cool.

Last edited:
@all the people who responded to my last question: thanks guys! Decided on a different name than what was suggested in the end, though.

Ah, names! My forte!

In a fanfic I'm planning, Hugh's mom has another baby. I don't know what the name will be. The baby is a girl. The names I came up with were Estella, Amelie, and Paige. I'm open to other suggestions, but the name must be Western - no Japanese names, please.

I already named Hugh's existing sister Jenna.

Last edited:
Perfect. This is just what I needed, really, since one of my fatal flaws it that I can't really come up with names. ^^"

Okay, so two characters here. One is a male Buizel with sort of a Napoleon complex, and the other is a rather timid female Zangoose. I'm open for suggestions on the Buizel, but as for the Zangoose, I would prefer something softer-sounding.

Thanks much to whoever helps this poor soul who can't come up with names for the life of him.

Am I the only person who thinks that maybe Grimsley isn't Grimsley's first name, but his last name?

In high school and parts of college I belonged to a few social circles where we were mostly on a last-name basis, and it certainly sounds more like a surname than a given name, even by Pokemon standards with their weird names.

Of course, that just raises the question of what his first name is...

Possible. My fanfics portray Elesa, Brycen, and Drayden as being pseudonyms of the respective characters. Elesa is a model and Brycen is an actor, so it's quite likely that they are using stage names. Drayden doesn't sound believable as a name for a man that old, so it's a good chance it's not his real name.

In need of a last name for an older guy (like, maybe around however old Alder is) with the first name Jasper. He has a job in engineering, is on the sickly side, and has a predilection for Steel-types (and one Conkeldurr), if that helps and I have a fondness for more old-fashioned names.

Would prefer something nature-related, since I'm doing a running theme in this fic where every OC's last name is some kind of plant or natural feature.

Would prefer something nature-related, since I'm doing a running theme in this fic where every OC's last name is some kind of plant or natural feature.
How about Willow?

I'm trying to think of a last name for Eusine. Preferrably something that's kinda rich and snooty-sounding.

How about Jasper Conker? After reading your description, that name sprung to mind.

I am in need of a name for a young Latina woman, around the age of 23-28. She is young, pretty, athletic, etc. and she is a police officer but I am looking in particular for a Hispanic name that shows her beauty and her strength.

Conker sounds great, but given that there's a Pokemon (not his Conkeldurr) named Conker, I kind of want to avoid confusion. Willow (or possibly Willows) would work perfectly; thanks Feanor!

I have Beaumont, Montgomery, and Eldridge for your consideration, by the way.

I need names for Morty's Pokémon team: a Misdreavus (female), a Gengar, two Haunter, and a Gastly (all male). NOTE: the Misdreavus is very young, and the Gengar is the father.

Hmmm... any specific theme or feel you're going for?

I'd say Whisper works for any of those Pokemon, but that's only one name.

Conker sounds great, but given that there's a Pokemon (not his Conkeldurr) named Conker, I kind of want to avoid confusion. Willow (or possibly Willows) would work perfectly; thanks Feanor!

I have Beaumont, Montgomery, and Eldridge for your consideration, by the way.

Good idea!

I might also look up some of the surnames of the Boston Brahmin families. In my fanfic, Eusine's family is old money. The Boston Brahmins are a bunch of rich old families in New England. The Pewterschmidts from Family Guy are supposed to be a parody of them.

Right now, the nicknames are Homestuck references. The Mismagius is Aradia and the Gengar is Gamzee. >.> I'm kinda tapped for ideas.

Right now, the nicknames are Homestuck references. The Mismagius is Aradia and the Gengar is Gamzee. >.> I'm kinda tapped for ideas.

what about naming the Misdreavus Aradia and her mother Damara? Also for some reason I saw Gengar as more of a Kurloz.

But I don't want the nicknames to be Homestuck references? I mean, they're good names, but I'd prefer something more...subtle?

AW 8P.

I still suggest Whisper, other than that, your best bet are names that sort of evoke a ghostly atmosphere without being too in-your-face ghostly. I'll edit this post (or just make a new one if someone else replies) when I think of something else, too.

Thanks for the help! I settled on Montgomery for Eusine's last name.

I need two names for a pair of jerks who Morty encounters on his camping trip. They challenge Morty and Falkner to a swimming race. One of them should have a name that sounds like it belongs to a jock.

I need two names for a pair of jerks who Morty encounters on his camping trip. They challenge Morty and Falkner to a swimming race. One of them should have a name that sounds like it belongs to a jock.

Marcus and Martin?

Ryan and Lance.

Still looking for names for Morty's ghosts?

Back
Top Bottom