• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Caitlin

Reaction score
I mentioned that I was interested in doing this awhile ago, but never got around to it as I had no need at the time. However, now...

The idea of the Need a Name Thread is to request input for the names of characters and locations in a work of fiction if you're unable to think of one. The idea is to hopefully bring the community a bit closer together and allow fans of certain works to help name something if there is a need for it. Or just a place if you have a lot of excess names you thought of but never had a use for.

Myself, I'm looking for a surname. I'm looking for something that can describe a family who's extremely wealthy, but at the same time oppresses the people around them. Any ideas?

This is a great idea for a thread! I'll probably find myself using it all the time. Don't have a name I need suggestions with yet, but you can bet I'll be back here when I have one!

Myself, I'm looking for a surname. I'm looking for something that can describe a family who's extremely wealthy, but at the same time oppresses the people around them. Any ideas?

What about Kaiser? Means Emperor in German, and I don't think it's too strange of a surname. I've met two individuals that weren't related that had this last name, so it's common enough. Just my suggestion, though.

Hmm, Roger Kaiser, Tiffany Kaiser and August Kaiser don't have quite the ring I'm looking for. I probably should have specified some first names.

There's Eric and Elsa, the mother and father of the family. Their children are Tiffany, Roger, Ashley, Summer, August and Forrest. They're just a typical tight knit wealthy family and most of them happen to be snobs.

Hmm... Right, I think I can of a fictional name that fits the first criteria, but not sure about the second: "Vanidoré"

*Looks at the name* :confused:
I'm not certain, what about you, @Caitlin;?

Makes me think of either family in the Romeo and Juliet story. Montague or Capulet would fit just fine, imo. xP

Anyway, I'm not having trouble looking for names right now, but I might in the future.

Hmm... Right, I think I can of a fictional name that fits the first criteria, but not sure about the second: "Vanidoré"

*Looks at the name* :confused:
I'm not certain, what about you, @Caitlin;?
I like where it's going. Perhaps "Vanidy", a corruption of vanity, or Vannedy, to put them in line with the Kennedy family.

Hmm, I think I have my name. Thanks guys.

I need some suggestions for ordnance names (small arms, crew served weapons and heavier things like missiles and bombs), arms manufacturers and ships for Life of the Legendaries and Poké Wars.

So far I have these:

Companies
Veekun Arms - small arms

Munitions
AA-122 "Altaria" - Gravity seeking (locks onto gravity fluctuations caused by antigrav engines) SAM missile. 176 pound HE warhead. Speed of ~ Mach 3. Maximum range of ~90,000 feet.
AGM-82 "Onidrill" - Semi-active radar homing air to surface missile with a 270 pound blast-frag warhead. Maximum Range of ~27 miles. Speed of ~ Mach 1.01
AIM-12 Spearow - Radar guided air-to-air missile with annular blast-frag warhead.
RIM-453 Koaruhie - Short range surface-to-air radar guided homing missile.
Kamex 20 mm CIWS - automated 20 mm gatling guns with integrated radar designed to shoot down close in threats like missiles, low-flying aircraft and small boats.

Small Arms
Veekun Arms 151 - 12 gauge shotgun
Veekun Arms Close Combat - .45 caliber pistol
Veekun Arms Thunderwave - battery powered ranged pokémon stunner.

----------------

Note that the "Pokémon World" exists on Earth but some places do have an indigenous arms industry.

I'm looking for names for the Pokémon world's version of these:

AIM-54_Phoenix
AGM-88_HARM
AIM-9_Sidewinder

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm... Moltres-54? Ho-Oh-54? I'm being very unimaginative here. Sacred Fire-54?

I'll stop, I'm not helping much. :p

Thanks! AIM-62 Sacred Fire sounds perfect! Though I did play with the idea of AIM-62 Rayquaza (In Life of the Legendaries Rayquaza has a lot of flight hours and he's accomplished pilot; he had a hand in its design).

Sidewinder? Serperior, Arbok, or Seviper.

AIM-04 Seviper sounds great!

Glad this exists, I have too many name ideas for my own good. Plus I don't get around to writing much, probably why I haven't posted here before (Hey, all!).

Judging by what it does, I'd go with the AGM-16 Banette. Sounds like the kind of fiendish tracking the Pokemon would do.

I need a name for a fictional city in Arizona for a project I'm working on. Anyone have any ideas?

I need a name for a fictional city in Arizona for a project I'm working on. Anyone have any ideas?

Sol (Spanish for "sun")
Desierto (Spanish for "desert")
Ciudad Caliente (Spanish for "hot city")
Ciudad de Sol (Spanish for "City of the Sun")

Last edited:
Lol. Thanks, but I actually came up with one right on the spot when I started today.

And, somehow, came up with the urban legend about how it was founded.

Yeah, my moments of genius are usually accidental.

So I need a name for a male character in my one shot, that implies that he's knowledgeable beyond his career as a Pokémon trainer, but not geeky, more like wisdom and uncommon knowledge (for a Pokémon trainer).

As for how he is as a character, he's willing to discuss things, but can be a control freak and burst out when someone suggest or tries something, from his point of view, outright foolish.

How does Blaise sound? The name harkens back to Blaise Pascal, one of the most important scientific minds of the 17th century, but also sounds like Blaze which would refer to his aggressive short temper.

I've been looking for a name for a country for a while. It should evoke both "dark" or "night" and "eyes." Normally this sort of stuff comes easy to me, so it's frustrating that a good name eludes me. Could someone help me out?

Back
Top Bottom