• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Need advice for a battle team of 3 in S/M

tortwig

tortwig used pp up
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to competitive battles, so i don't have much (or actually any!) experience when it comes to building a team. After looking at some online guides, I have a vague idea of what i need in a team and it is from that which i built my 2 pokemon so far. Currently the pokemon i have are:

Wall: Toxapex.
IVs=perfect, save for Speed
Ability=Merciless
Nature=Bold
Held item=Black Sludge
EVs=Perfect in HP and defense, 4 in sp.defence
Moves: Venoshock, Scald, Recover, Baneful Bunker

Sweeper=Garchomp
IVs=perfect, save for Attack
Ability=Rough Skin
Nature=Adamant
Held item=not really sure what this should be
EVs=Perfect in Attack and Speed, 4 in SP. Attack
Moves: Earthquake, Dragon claw, Swords dance, some other move idk help

so as you can see I need some help please. Any tips on what im doing wrong with my team are greatly appreciated, and advice on what my third pokemon should be is also very helpful. Please only suggest pokemon which are relatively easy to obtain in pokemon S/M, and no legendaries/UBs/mythicals. Thanks!:D

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to competitive battles, so i don't have much (or actually any!) experience when it comes to building a team. After looking at some online guides, I have a vague idea of what i need in a team and it is from that which i built my 2 pokemon so far. Currently the pokemon i have are:

Wall: Toxapex.
IVs=perfect, save for Speed
Ability=Merciless
Nature=Bold
Held item=Black Sludge
EVs=Perfect in HP and defense, 4 in sp.defence
Moves: Venoshock, Scald, Recover, Baneful Bunker

Sweeper=Garchomp
IVs=perfect, save for Attack
Ability=Rough Skin
Nature=Adamant
Held item=not really sure what this should be
EVs=Perfect in Attack and Speed, 4 in SP. Attack
Moves: Earthquake, Dragon claw, Swords dance, some other move idk help

so as you can see I need some help please. Any tips on what im doing wrong with my team are greatly appreciated, and advice on what my third pokemon should be is also very helpful. Please only suggest pokemon which are relatively easy to obtain in pokemon S/M, and no legendaries/UBs/mythicals. Thanks!:D
Regenerator and Sludge bomb would honestly be better for Toxapex. I can see what you're going for though as baneful bunker will poison on contact and venoshock will deal more damage with the crit boost and the poison. It can still work but the main problem is its a rather big reliance on if the Pokémon makes contact on your Pokémon or not which can be problematic. Toxapex isn't known as a strong attacker which could play into effect as well.. If you need one with Regenerator though i should have a few of them somewhere that I can give lol. That's pretty much all I have for Toxapex.. As for Chomp.. Tbh I'm not as fond of the Nature but if you want to have more power over speed then it's up to you lol. I just like Garchomp's 102 base speed which let's it out speed all of the non scarf 100 base speed Pokémon :p. Since the addition of Fairies either either Iron head or poison jab will work well enough :p also what's the 4 evs in Special attack doing there? :thinking: the item for Chomp can be anything ranging from Yache berry, Life Orb, Groundium-Z or a few others.
As for the last Pokémon.. I'm kinda leaning towards Mimikyu since it would provide a counter to psychic types which can hit your team of 2 for either neutral damage or se damage.. For Mimi it'll at least take a hit and has generally good Sp defense so it can take a neutral special hit or two. You could also get something like a dark type for the immunity or steel since it resists psychic as well.. Just be weary that steel is also weak to ground as is Toxapex..

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely consider making some of the changes you mentioned. I was also considering a steel pokemon such as Lucario and hadn't thought about Mimikyu, so i might try mimi and see how it works out. As for toxapex, I see what you mean with its low attack stat. I hadn't really taken that into consideration, so thank you for pointing it out!:D If you could give a regenerator toxapex aswell, that would be amazing. Please let me know when you are free (i live in UK.)

Again thanks for all the support, i hope i can use it to grow as a trainer!
(side note. i accidentally said 4 evs in sp.atk for Chomp. i meant to say 4 in HP oops:p)

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely consider making some of the changes you mentioned. I was also considering a steel pokemon such as Lucario and hadn't thought about Mimikyu, so i might try mimi and see how it works out. As for toxapex, I see what you mean with its low attack stat. I hadn't really taken that into consideration, so thank you for pointing it out!:D If you could give a regenerator toxapex aswell, that would be amazing. Please let me know when you are free (i live in UK.)

Again thanks for all the support, i hope i can use it to grow as a trainer!
(side note. i accidentally said 4 evs in sp.atk for Chomp. i meant to say 4 in HP oops:p)
Np. I'll be able to trade one tomorrow since my internet that i use for my 3ds resets then. I'll let you know when it's ready :p

(Ah lol. I've made a few mistakes while making teams as well :p)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom