• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[NEED RUSH HELP] Pokémon Game Dilemna

Moppi

Eventual PokéFan...
Reaction score
Note: I'm really sorry for the thread title.. but i just really need some help/advice anything about this matter. Thankfully Bulbagarden didn't need some of activation of some sort for it's forums...

I am a Pokémon fan since it appeared in our country, but never have played the game in an actual handheld console (i know, very bad of me)..

So well, after trying out FireRed some weeks ago.. i decided to go buy the game (we just acquired a GBA SP) and decided to finish it on the console because it seems a bit pointless for me (IMO) to continually play it in an emulator... which i did...

The game seems to be running fine.. (i'm already at Pewter City area.. leveling) and have saved and loaded the game for a couple of times...

The problem is.. the game package itself... i dunno wether it's genuine, a good fake, or something. Here are picture reference for it:

FRONT View of Box
BACK View of Box

Add to the dilemna is the leaflet... it only consists of 10 pages (whilst inside... it says that there's a page 23) adding to my suspicion that this game i bought isn't the real thing.

Another surprising thing is that when i started the game... it has a saved game! (A male named "A" ). Shouldn't it start with NEW GAME and OPTION in it?.

Anyway.. i'm asking all of you people here because i have 3 days to take action for this coz as the saleslady said i have 3 days to either go back to them or something.

What should i do?.... Thanks for the advanced help/advice.. i'll stay tune.

Last edited:
Your back view link shows the front view.

My box looks slightly different to yours, though it may just be because mine is European.

Where did you buy the game? It sounds like you have a seond-hand version.

My bad, i edited the link... the back link shows the real back.... :p

Anyway... i bought mine on a mall near our place... it just doesn't make sense if it's second hand.. just my OP.

I'm still wondering wether i go back and ask for a replacement (an original) or my money back... i mean.. i have the right to haven't i?

It is very much NOT a Fake, however probably previously Used. So it all matters as to where you got it.

Game shops often have a section for second-hand games. If that is where you got it, then you can't get a replacement. But there shouldn't be anything wrong with the copy you have.

It's definitely used, but it doesn't look fake to me. If you paid full price for what you thought was a new copy, take it back.

@FabuVinny

Definitely not a second hand section coz the store staff got it from the main display rack...

I'm just getting paranoid over the genuinity because of the game for the long run, i mean.. I don't want to have my game corrupted after giving so much time to my critters.. TT_TT

I doubt anything is wrong with it, or anything wrong will happen but if it does you certainly have the right to return it.

I see... thanks for the advice guys... i'll see what happens if i confront the store this week.

I still have one question that wasn't yet answered..

When you start the game for the first time.. ain't it just NEW GAME and OPTIONS that are present for selection?.. I just need clarification for this one as i might use it as defense...

Yes. If it is new, then there shouldn't be a saved game already on it.

Moppi said:
When you start the game for the first time.. ain't it just NEW GAME and OPTIONS that are present for selection?.. I just need clarification for this one as i might use it as defense...

There is no need to have any defense. As a consumer you have the right to return goods you purchased that are not what you were told you were buying. You take the game back to them, with the receipt and tell them that they sold you a used game when you were paying for a new one and they HAVE to replace it.

If they even begin to question it, they're breaking the law and you should get their manager down.

BTW, i need another clarification... does all Pokemon games from 3rd generation to present... include a wireless adapter with them or does a pokemon game have a version where in there's no wireless adapter?

Later versions of FRLG did not have wireless adapters. The box art for the ones that did had in the upper right hand corner that they included one, but yours does not, meaning it was the later version. Nothing wrong in that, unless they sold it for the same prices as ones who did.

As people have said, it just seems like you recieved a used one. It could had been a store mixup. Does the store also allow trade-ins of used games and that sort of jazz?

I think not cause they don't have any sign that indicates so...

I see, so there are versions like that.... but does the box art have nicer quality?... i mean... mine seems to look totally dated... (not to mention.. the leaflet inside has 10 pages (though indicates that there's a page 20+) and the quality seems a bit... bad.. )

Again, it would probably be that way because someone else used it. Just go to the store and demand a replacement (in a nice way). It's legit, but used.

Moppi said:
I think not cause they don't have any sign that indicates so...

I see, so there are versions like that.... but does the box art have nicer quality?... i mean... mine seems to look totally dated... (not to mention.. the leaflet inside has 10 pages (though indicates that there's a page 20+) and the quality seems a bit... bad.. )
This statement ascertains my impression that your game is indeed a pirated copy.

I had the misfortune of purchasing a pirated copy of the American Ruby version, and despite the odd signs I chose to pretend everything was normal. When my legitimate copy of American Sapphire arrived, I noticed how the quality of the box did not match, as was the case with the booklet which turned out to be partial. By then I realized what had happened, and yet I decided that as long as the gameplay was not affected in any way, I had no reason to buy a new copy. However, after a few months I had suffered from several incidents of losing the save file (owing to running out of batteries when attempting to save; the pirated games do not seem to have a backup save file), and found it was impossible to connect Ruby to Colosseum. Clearly, I opted to buy a new, legitimate copy so as not to fear of having to restart, but also to connect to Colosseum.

When FireRed/LeafGreen were released, I was curious to see if the stores in my country maintained the same policy of preferring the pirated copies to the genuine games. Indeed, I stumbled upon a box bearing resemblance, if not identical to your own. The logo, seal of quality and artwork all seemed disproportionate, not unlike Ruby's box. In addition, there was no artwork on the box's side-locks, for which all American versions are famous. The shop clerk was completely oblivious to the idea of there being pirated copies, but the importer she contacted did admit I was correct. He was happy to see there were still customers interested in legitimate copies, and went to the trouble of arranging a shipment just for me (but I ended up buying Ruby, FireRed and LeafGreen in England).

My theory is that in countries where Nintendo does not operate (such as Israel), importers might find the cheaper, pirated copies more profitable depending on the circumstances. In the early era of Red, Blue and Yellow (outside Japan), the franchise was only gaining its popularity, and so pirated copies were sold. By the time Gold and Silver were released, Pokémon was more than successful, and thus importers had an incentive to sell the legitimate copies. Sadly, I am afraid that another turn of events took place towards Ruby and Sapphire's release, leaving room for pirated copies to make their return.

Last edited:
I don't think it's legit. The stamp on the back should say "Official Nintendo Seal". They changed it in 2003.

I have the American FireRed, too, and mine doesn't have that rainbow holographic effect - just a simple red holographic effect. I doubt that they changed the holographic effect when they started shipping out FR/LG without the Wireless Adapter. So if yours would be an original, it wouldn't have that rainbow-ish effect.
http://psychoboost.com/stuff/firered_holographic_effect.jpg
Oh and TK n Happy Ness is right, the Nintendo seal on my FireRed also is different to the one on your picture.

Last edited:
TK n Happy Ness said:
I don't think it's legit. The stamp on the back should say "Official Nintendo Seal". They changed it in 2003.

If you read close enough the stamp on the back DOES say "Official NINTENDO Seal of quality."

Alabaster.j.cat said:
If you read close enough the stamp on the back DOES say "Official NINTENDO Seal of quality."

Yeah, but Nintendo changed it to Official Nintendo Seal around mid or late 2003 to include the game-related merchandise.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom