• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Need some help in SSBU

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hi, how's everyone doing?

Anyway, ever since I got my Switch, I've been trying (keyword: TRYING) to unlock all the characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. However... I've run into many roadblocks. Namely, about 85% of the time, whenever a challenger approaches, I get my arse handed to me due to the super-elite combos or, even more frustratingly, those critical hit smashes or whatever they're called. I've managed to unlock roughly 30 or so characters (plus the original 8, giving me at least 3 1/2 full rows), but I've lost so many fights to the challengers AI that I'm getting really frustrated. I know that I'm a "causal" gamer, so my "competitive skills" are low, but the AI seems too smart. The times I have succeeded were mostly pure luck (my most recent victory, Dark Samus, was unable to get back to the ledge in time, even though she was mopping the floor with me, due to a lucky hard hit I gave her). But I've missed out on at least 12 characters because they utterly clobbered me. So, I need some help. I've figured out the "force" way of unlocking characters (play a match, fight an unlocked character, return to home screen, boot up game, repeat), which is how I got to Dark Samus within 2 days of sporadic playing, and I know that a Challenger Appears door appears every so often for rematches. But it doesn't help that I'm still getting a solid beatdown, even when I'm oh-so-close to victory (ie: my character, Pit, had taken 0% damage, and I had Luigi at 150% or so, but he got not one, but TWO of those critical smashes in the same match, the second one instantly KOing me, which felt really cheap to me).

So, what I need is this: tips. Lots of them. How do I outwit/outmaneuver this AI in those situations? Which characters are the best for beating those AI characters? I've played multiple Smash games (I own the Wii, Wii U, and now Switch versions), so I'm not a rookie (a bit rusty, maybe, but far from a novice). But I either get really unlucky with those critical smashes or get utterly demolished before I can even land one hit. So, if anyone here has tips on how to find a way to beat them more easily I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: A while after I posted this I took up another round of Smash, this time using Lucina for a change of pace. Truth be told, I've always felt she got a bit overrated over time. I won't think that anymore. She managed to win me not only Wolf in a Challenger Approaches match, but after that I got several rematches, and she OWNED them. The only two who beat her were Zero Suit Samus and Bayonetta, with the latter ending my rematch chain. While Pit won most of my previous victories (his pseudo-flight ability was very helpful), I now have much higher respect for Lucina in both Fire Emblem and Smash. I still have several more characters to win from previous failures (such as Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta, Incineroar, etc), but I think I'll use Lucina for those since, while Pit earned me most of my wins, she completely proved her worth. And in the case of ZSS and Bay, it was a very close fight. I still need pointers and other tips, but I think Lucina may end up my Challenger Approaches smasher from now on, as even Meta Knight, who has ALWAYS pounded me into the dirt, got his knightly rear handed to him thanks to her. If she's considered a top-tier character, then I can rightly see why.

Last edited:
I would just play through "World of Light", equip my strongest Spirits and just unlock them through battles, it's easier that way (especially on Easy).

Yeah the AI in Ultimate is significantly better than the other games, it's always best to use heavy hitters whenever in doubt (Bowser and Ganondorf are usually recommended). Though you seem to work best with Lucina going by your edit, and I'm assuming that you've unlocked all the characters by now.

But yes in Ultimate Lucina is considered top in most tier lists, with Marth usually being around high tier.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom