• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nerfing the Fairy Type

Is the Fairy type OP? Should it be nerfed?

• Yes, the Fairy type is OP and should be nerfed.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • No, the Fairy type is not OP and shouldn’t be nerfed.

Votes: 53 73.6%

• Total voters

to have something other and interesting to use.
A Scare Crow motiv would be welcomed.
+ some birds, bugs and animals hunt for birds and rather wont take damage from them.
We have pokemon immune to fire, water, grass, electric, ground, dragon, fighting, psychic, normal, poison, ghost moves why not make immunities(abilities) for the other remaining types like
flying, bug ,ice, rock, fairy, dark, steel.
To make the game more refreshing then it is.
The pokes not need to be of the same type like the immunity.
I dont say to make and overload of pokes with that but single ones for fun and diffrent strategy use.

I could imagine a bug/psychic type with a ability that makes it immune to fairy moves.
Or a grass/ghost immune to flying type moves.

Also, dragon type on Pokemon is almost a reptile type.

dragon- folklore- they are fictional reptiles and can be other then dragon , you know that from Charizard, Sceptile and Ferraligatr.
We could argue aboud comodo dragon and if dragons really existed but why bother?
I would only like to see more interactions of them and making sense.

Last edited:
Grass really could use a resistance to Fairy. It seems like the best choice.
Since this would make Grass slightly more viable it has the side effect of discouraging Water a little, which helps actual Ice types using their STAB.
Not enough to solve the problem, but it does help.

It would also make sense thematically: Fairies need nature. Not just as a home. If nature is harmed, they disappear. The link between fairies and forests is undeniable.

I'm not sure about Ice resisting Fairy, though. On one hand, giving a key resistance to Ice feels like it goes against its concept of "ultimate offensive type"... However, Steel, the poster for "ultimate defensive type" did get a key effectiveness to Fairy, so it wouldn't be that off.
Definitely not an Ice weakness however, I feel that would break a lot of things (especially involving Water and Dragon) and not actually do much for Ice types themselves.

Honestly, if Fairy were to get a weakness, it'd fit better to also another something odd that isn't used much for offense... for which I'd almost say Grass too, if only because I have trouble of thinking anything else Grass could be effective to.

If grass starts to resist fairy then our dragon/grass friend will be very happy.
Yes this could be right, taking how strong Primarina is and that water pokes over use ice based moves.

- but what if the the sun (sunny day, drought) would allow Grass types to get neutral damage from ice type moves - and only grass types- like dark got prankster?

Why would you nerf Ice at all...?
The entire point is that Fairy overshadows Ice, which needs a niché of some sort.
That's why I would want to buff Grass.
In fact, Grass/Dragons are a perfect argument for using Ice types over Fairy or Water for once.

I wouldn't say Fairy is OP, but it could do with some slight nerfs and is in an important position that could help those two types immensely.

(It's also why I feel a SE to it would be just too much and counterproductive, even if I really want Grass to be SE on something)

Last edited:
Grass is SE on water, ground and rock...
hmm after I though it through.
What if rock or ground could resist fairy?
Think of it first and compare it to steel.
Rock could need the resistance theoretically. Then Tyrantrum could be safe.
Psychic could resist fairy good theoreticaly taking its weakness to dark and bug.
Ghost theoretically should be 2x against something else then itself and psychic.

Taking that in freeze mental powers are not the best then ice should resist psychic theoretically.
If ice could resist psychic and psychic fairy that would be a way to make it work.
+ghost resist ice and ice resisting ghost.

I also think that bugs are resisted by 7 types that is too much.
Bugs really should resist something like fairy, psychic or dark.

If only ghost could resist ice and ice could resist ghost then we could make nice things.

The only thing I agree with in balancing Fairy-types would be removing the Bug-type resistance and letting Grass-types have resistance to Fairy-type attacks. Giving Fairy-type an additional weakness to Fire or Ice-types I feel would completely ruin it's dominance over Dragon-types, as many Dragon-types can learn and make great use out of a Fire or Ice-type attack.

If less Fairy-types had access to Psychic-type attacks so that Poison-types could come and counter them properly, I would feel that it would be a proper nerf to Fairy-types. However, far too many Fairy-types that used to be Normal-types had access to Psychic-type attacks prior to their change and I think it would be hard to filter out them being able to learn them at this point, unless they do a (dumb) hard-break like they had between Gen I/II and Gen III & Beyond (prior to Virtual)

Shifting Fairy-types immunity of Dragon-type to a resistance I feel would go against the purpose of being a direct counter to very prominent Dragon, Fighting, and Dark-types throughout the pre-Fairy-type meta. Also, Fairy-types are pretty frail and slow physically speaking (low HP, Defense, and Speed stat averages) meaning that only the typing's immunities and resistances are the main redeeming quality. They can hurt a bit and take a beating, as far as Special Attack and Special Defense are concerned, but any Pokemon with resistances to Fairy-type attacks and can make a use of a Poison or Steel-type physical attack will usually force the Fairy-type to swap out.

Note: I am personally unfamiliar with competitive, but whenever my friends and I play together, these types of conversations sometimes come up.

There aren't many good Fairy types aside from Clefable, Xerneas, Mega Mawile, Mimikyu, Azumarill, Xerneas, Fairy-type Arceus, Magearna and the Tapus. I mean, Sylveon, A-Ninetales, Klefki and Primarina can be decent with the right support, but they aren't really leaving the metagame quaking in its boots like Tapu Lele is.

That said, I can't understand Fairy's Bug-type resistance and wish they'd ditch it. I mean, come on; it's not like they needed to screw over Bug-types more than they already have. Hell, maybe they should even reverse it and buff Bug by making it resist Fairy. I'm biased because I love Bug-types, but hey.

I'd be cool with a weakness against Fire-types, but Fire's already one of the best offensive types; it's already SE against Steel and the already-disadvantaged Grass, Bug and Ice-types, and adding a strength against Fairy-types would give it the most type advantages offensively.

Fairy seems okay except for the Bug resistance.

Fairy should be weak to Bug (bugs eat flowers and leaves and thus potentially destroys Fairies and their habitats - similar reason for why Bug is SE against Grass). That's the only thing that should be fixed imo. Grass resisting Fairy sounds reasonable but I don't think it needs immediate fixing.

The Dragon immunity should stay. It has to. Even with the increased number of Fairy-types on the field there's still way too many Garchomps.

Last edited:
While I don't want to nerf any types, Fairy is the one that seems the most questionable at least. They can be countered, so they're nowhere near as bad as Gen I Psychic or Gen IV-V Dragon were. But it's hard to deny that Fairy has the biggest influence on the metagame currently. The tier is currently dominated by Fairies and specially defensive Steel types. It was more balanced in Gen VI, when the number of good offensive Fairy types was low, but Gen VII gave us Tapus, Magearna, and Mimikyu. Half of the most used Fairies take neutral damage from Steel type moves, which makes blanket checking them difficult (though all save Fini are covered by Steel/Ground). I wouldn't give them a typechart nerf just yet (though I guess I wouldn't mind losing the Bug resistance), as they can be played around, and have to rely on the comparitively weak Play Rough for physical coverage. Still, I'd keep an eye on this type for sure, after all, Dragon wasn't especially problematic until Gen IV.

Fairy should be weak to Bug (bugs eat flowers and leaves and thus potentially destroys Fairies and their habitats - similar reason for why Bug is SE against Grass). That's the only thing that should be fixed imo. Grass resisting Fairy sounds reasonable but I don't think it needs immediate fixing.

maybe neutral, dark and psyhic already are weak to bug.
Or bug should resist fairy too?

Bug and Grass could/should resist fairy,
but then again maybe bug should resist dark and psychic already?

ghost are good against ghost and psychic, maybe adding fairy? but then agains mega Gengar is there.
Maybe only bugs should gain fairy resistance without taking fairies their resistance against bugs.
grass should get a fairy resistance?

poison now resists fairy and is SE against it that makes it more important then ever before.

Grass/poison and other poison type combos now gained something very interesting, a mutual enemy,
poison also resist grass, fight , itself and bugs you know?

If Ice only would resist ghost and ghost would resist ice then it would be ok with the type chart for all time.

Nope. Despite these advantages, bug is a WEAK type.
weak type, you are kidding? then why bother? bugs theoretically should resist something if you take coak roaches and other strong bug like creature than can surive many things.
I know we have daual types for that bug/poison for fairies especially.

but bugs would need something, why not a resistance?

weak type, you are kidding?

Yes. They're weak.

I was just opposing that Bug shouldn't be neutral to Fairy (what you're saying), but should be resistant as well as super effective against fairy.

but bugs would need something, why not a resistance?
They need something more than a resistance, a full advantage against fairy.

that would be too much for me, resistance against fairy is enough.
Actually, if Bug is SE against and resist Fairy it would really buff Bug, which desperately needs it. A resistance would feel like just doing the buff halfway. And it would also nerf Fairy which seems to be a problem for some.

Actually, if Bug is SE against and resist Fairy it would really buff Bug, which desperately needs it. A resistance would feel like just doing the buff halfway. And it would also nerf Fairy which seems to be a problem for some.
yes but then again fairy/psychic , 4x bug???
no, no , no

Dosen't matter. Bug needs something for itself, and I don't think we achieve anything by maintaining Tapu Lele's viability. That's a single Pokemon vs a whole Type. I'll take Bug's super effectiveness.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom