• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Netflix has secured exclusive rights to Pokemon Journeys/PM2019 in the US

iu

Fans who are looking forward to seeing the further adventures of Ash Ketchum and Pikachu won't have long to wait, as the 23rd season of the iconic Pokémon animated series will launch as a Netflix Original on June 12, 2020. In Pokémon Journeys: The Series, Ash has left the Alola region behind with a new plan in mind: see the world! Ash will travel with his new friend Goh, another boy with boundless curiosity about Pokémon. With Ash as determined as ever to become a Pokémon Master, and Goh aiming to catch one of every Pokémon (including the Mythical Mew), our heroes are in for adventure and excitement as they explore the wide world of Pokémon.

Pokémon Journeys: The Series will also feature a new theme song written and performed by the band Walk off the Earth. Fans can view a new trailer for the upcoming season of Pokémon Journeys: The Series and hear part of the new theme song on the official Pokémon YouTube channel.

The first 12 episodes will be available to watch on Netflix when the series premieres on June 12, and another 12 episodes will be added every three months for the duration of the season. Remember to mark your calendars for the debut of Pokémon Journeys: The Series on June 12!

Go's dub name is Goh, and there will be 12 episodes released every 3 months.

...I mean Netflix is more visible around the world than Disney XD.

They couldn't give him a better name than Goh? I was hoping he'd at least have a better dub name.

I think the Pokemon Co REALLY wants to be clear that he's a Go adveritsement while Ash advertises the main series.

I think the Pokemon Co REALLY wants to be clear that he's a Go adveritsement while Ash advertises the main series.
Why not just spell it as "Go"? They've turned him into a Chinese character as if not to make the game reference too obvious. I almost always use English names, but I refuse to follow this weird choice.

Gou's dub name seems more strange to me than anything else. It's one letter different and I think it's pronounced the same, but Gou just look more natural to me than Goh, even though I'm also just more used to it. I've been waiting for months for his dub name since I generally prefer using those to refer to the characters, so that was a bit of a letdown in that regard. It isn't bad, but it just seems like a weird way to handle it. His dub voice sounded fine from what we heard though.

Like I mentioned in the dub title thread, I'm still disappointed that it's moving to Netflix. I don't think that the writing was on the wall for that change, at least not as much so as it was for Cartoon Network getting rid of the series. Disney XD still promotes the series, despite airing only reruns at this point, they've been consistent with airing the series and they still have episodes on their On Demand section. They haven't been absolutely perfect, but Disney XD was worlds better than Cartoon Network when it came to handling and promoting the series. Having them keep it seemingly just for one series is rather sad and disappointing for me. It might have been less depressing if they had been airing the anime longer than three years. If they had been airing the series since BW or XY, I would probably still be sad, but it wouldn't have felt like the time on the channel was so minimal.

I think that the main advantage that they were going for with this deal is making the anime a bit more widely available. As much as I like Disney XD's treatment of the series, it did have a more limited range given that it wasn't widely available. This is one reason why the past couple of seasons eventually had episodes free on Pokemon's website too. I don't know how common Netflix is compared to basic cable channels, but it is possibly more accessible than Disney XD by comparison. I don't see them including the Japanese version alongside it. That would be neat and possibly lead to some good/accurate official subs, but I just don't see it happening.

I am curious; did Disney decide not to pick up the new show (and if so why), or if Netflix just offered TPCI a great deal and there was no renegotiation with Disney at all? Or even if TPCI just wants it somewhere with a higher distribution?

Currently some of Sun/Moon and Kanto are on netflix, I wonder if this means the rest is coming too?

I'm interested to see what this means for the iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon Video releases as well as Pokémon TV--even if nothing's changed for Canada, they don't have a separate Pokémon TV service. The digital purchase releases were always tied to US airdates even if they were available in Canada, the UK, and Australia, so they might also stop being released.

Remember the Japanese production of Pokemon the Journeys is on a hiatus atm With episode 22 being the last ep aired on TV Tokyo We dont know when 23+ will air on tv tokyo

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom