• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Netflix has secured exclusive rights to Pokemon Journeys/PM2019 in the US

I'm kind of impressed that they didn't just move the dub to LA completely. I imagine that would be easier to manage than using two different studios from different states across the country. I guess that they wanted to keep the voices for Ash and Team Rocket given that they've had these roles for over a decade at this point, which is nice if that is the case instead of doing another total dub cast change. At least using an LA based studio can help give the dub cast some much needed variety.

I'm glad the performers didn't awkwardly shout "Pokémon!" at the end of the opening like every other TCPI opening. I'm not the biggest fan of 123 because its composition is way too hectic and all over the place, but it fit the tone of the show better then this psuedo early-2010s hipster pop song

I'm glad the performers didn't awkwardly shout "Pokémon!" at the end of the opening like every other TCPI opening. I'm not the biggest fan of 123 because its composition is way too hectic and all over the place, but it fit the tone of the show better then this psuedo early-2010s hipster pop song
Well, Walk Off the Earth is an early 2010s indie pop band.

So I just realized something.

The Japanese version of episode 1 starts with credits at the first scene, but the English version doesn't have it.

I'm kind of impressed that they didn't just move the dub to LA completely. I imagine that would be easier to manage than using two different studios from different states across the country. I guess that they wanted to keep the voices for Ash and Team Rocket given that they've had these roles for over a decade at this point, which is nice if that is the case instead of doing another total dub cast change. At least using an LA based studio can help give the dub cast some much needed variety.

Plus, the very reason TPCI was founded to dub Pokemon to the King's English. As mush as I'd like someone else to take over--if just to hear the difference--no point getting another studio when the very purpose of the one we're stuck with is to do the job...

I just wish they'd stop squeezing bad subpar performances by VAs I know can do better...

At the very least maybe they can some people from the AU specials and shorts to breath from life into the Show.

So I just realized something.

The Japanese version of episode 1 starts with credits at the first scene, but the English version doesn't have it.
The Japanese version didn't show the opening until the ending credits, so the opening credits were shown during the first scene.

For anyone interested, the new episode of Journeys has not been made available on Teletoon on Demand. This is strange since not only were new episodes of SM added a day after Canadian broadcast, so too were new episodes of YGO VRAINS which were dub premieres. I'm starting to wonder if Netflix has it arranged so Canada can only broadcast new episodes but not put them on demand.

For anyone interested, the new episode of Journeys has not been made available on Teletoon on Demand. This is strange since not only were new episodes of SM added a day after Canadian broadcast, so too were new episodes of YGO VRAINS which were dub premieres. I'm starting to wonder if Netflix has it arranged so Canada can only broadcast new episodes but not put them on demand.
Well, Broadcast Rights and On-Demand Rights are 2 different things (though who has broadcast rights usually buy the on-demand rights as well), so it's a possibility.

I'm not sure if Netflix would have that much control over how Teletoon releases the show. It would help Netflix since it probably makes it harder for people to upload the episodes before they're available on their platform, but I don't know if they could do that or if Teletoon just chose to not get the rights to put the episodes On Demand.

And doesn't Netflix have the rights for just America? So on demand in Canada shouldn't be effected, right? Or did Netflix somehow get the Canada on demand streaming rights yet Teletoon somehow got lucky and got live TV airing rights?

Its also possible Teletoon already got both rights in Canada before Netflix was involved, so Netflix and Teletoon made a deal: Teletoon could do live airings, but couldn't do the on-demand.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom