• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Netflix has secured exclusive rights to Pokemon Journeys/PM2019 in the US

So apparently Netflix Japan will start streaming Pocket Monsters (2019) on July 1st. Netflix Japan never got Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution so them getting the current series was never really a given.

PocketMonsters2019.png

(Amazon Prime and Hulu have been streaming Pocket Monsters (2019) since November, BTW)

I'd say this substantially raises the chances that the Japanese audio will be an option when Pokémon Journeys debuts on Western Netflix services later this week, though of course it's equally possible that it'll just be dub-only. Guess all we can do is wait.

Last edited:
I'd say this substantially raises the chances that the Japanese audio will be an option when Pokémon Journeys debuts on Western Netflix services later this week, though of course it's equally possible that it'll just be dub-only. Guess all we can do is wait.
I'm curious if they do include Japanese audio if there will still be dub edits - it seemed like Sun and Moon had a bit more censorship than normal for TPCI's run of the series (though I'd chalk that up to being on Disney XD). I can't imagine TPCI would care enough to make any distinction between "uncut Japanese, edited English," sadly, but who knows.

Likewise with the songs, given the Mewtwo movie played the American opening and closing themes regardless of which language you selected, but in those cases they were playing over the same footage anyway, whereas the Japanese opening and credits sequences for the TV series are completely different.

Either way it'll be an interesting development for the series. Even when it was under 4Kids' control and they were experimenting with releasing uncut versions of their shows (the Yugioh and Shaman King DVD releases) I figured Pokemon was always off-limits due to Nintendo/TPCI's strict oversight, but like... I just don't see the point anymore. The Japanese version is crazy accessible today to anyone just using Google, even the Alolan League results were reported by national news outlets like CNN and ESPN as puff pieces months before the episodes actually premiered in the US. It's not really this weird, obscure thing anymore. In 2006 a friend of mine just switched to the Japanese version when the voice cast switched and had zero problem keeping up with the show because even back then it was so easily available.

I suspect (fear) Netflix will just use the English dub as the base for the video and then edit the Japanese audio around it, just like they did with Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. So like, if you select the Japanese audio the cold open stuff will all be in Japanese; then switch over to English for the opening theme; then switch back to Japanese for Part A, the eyecatch, and Part B; and then switch over to English again for the ending theme. No PokeQuiz sections or Next Episode Previews, and any visual edits that are made to the dub (like all the text being erased) will be present even with the Japanese audio selected. Oh, and the only subtitles will be the dubtitles.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a better presentation that that but even if we don't then *sigh* I guess it'd be better than nothing.

I suspect (fear) Netflix will just use the English dub as the base for the video and then edit the Japanese audio around it, just like they did with Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. So like, if you select the Japanese audio the cold open stuff will all be in Japanese; then switch over to English for the opening theme; then switch back to Japanese for Part A, the eyecatch, and Part B; and then switch over to English again for the ending theme. No PokeQuiz sections or Next Episode Previews, and any visual edits that are made to the dub (like all the text being erased) will be present even with the Japanese audio selected. Oh, and the only subtitles will be the dubtitles.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a better presentation that that but even if we don't then *sigh* I guess it'd be better than nothing.
Speaking of, do you think TPCI edits those attack move names, the words in Team Rocket's motto etc. themselves, or is it just a matter of getting raw footage from the Japanese animators? I never got the impression they were nearly as high-strung about *gasp* Japanese text appearing in the show as 4Kids, especially given things like this:

devil_writin.png

Speaking of, do you think TPCI edits those attack move names, the words in Team Rocket's motto etc. themselves, or is it just a matter of getting raw footage from the Japanese animators? I never got the impression they were nearly as high-strung about *gasp* Japanese text appearing in the show as 4Kids, especially given things like this:

devil_writin.png
Is that image real?

Nope. It's a screenshot from Professor Oak's Pokémon Live Caster, a segment exclusive to Japan, with the Cartoon Network edited in. This was never broadcast on Cartoon Network.
It's from the BW episode "To Catch a Rotom."
Yup - to clarify, they played a Live Caster segment as part of the episode’s story, and TPCI dubbed it straight. It is 100% real.

Nope. It's a screenshot from Professor Oak's Pokémon Live Caster, a segment exclusive to Japan, with the Cartoon Network edited in. This was never broadcast on Cartoon Network.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Yep, there is indeed no Japanese audio track or any other foreign languages either.

It's English audio and English sub/dubtitles only.
I wonder if it’s maybe something they’d consider adding in later, as I heard they started adding additional audio tracks for some of the older seasons, though I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Just give me that sweet original score, the music replacement is basically my only major problem with the dubbed version.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom