• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Netflix has secured exclusive rights to Pokemon Journeys/PM2019 in the US

I really wish this wasn't Netflix exclusive. I've never used it before and never had a need for it and I'm not about to subscribe to it just for one series. Sorry, but I wish PJ was picked up by some TV channel.
Nickelodeon is the only channel who can pick the series up, but I don't think that they would be interested in Pokemon.

I guess this means it's over with Disney, huh?
And having it on Disney On Demand was such a good way to get the TV Show out there (the more people who experience the beautiful thing that is Pokemon Hunter J, the better)

Though I kind of thought something was up with the AU movies and especially the M1 remake.
Though I have to wonder if this means Netflix will get ALL the series & movies (and specials?), or just some at a time like they've been doing... :unsure:
(especially since most of them are on Pokemon.com or the Official YouTube channel anyway)

And just to warn everyone, I shall refer to this series as "Journeys" as I would the OS, AG, etc.

Last edited:
It occurs to me I'm not entirely sure how or if this will affect me. I'm Canadian but I don't have teletoon so I pretty much have to wait for whenever pokemon.com puts episodes up. I initially thought this might mean I'll be able to catch them the same time as everyone else for this series but then I remembered Netflix has regional availability so maybe not.

Few things:
  • The change to Netflix only matters to me if we finally get a Japanese audio option. MSBE makes me cautiously optimistic, but TPCI has disappointed us so many times in the past that "cautiously optimistic" is going to be the best I can muster. If Netflix does include the Japanese audio I hope they also get around to fixing the problems (not licensing the Japanese songs, lack of accurate subtitles) they had the first time around.
  • The show still sounds like a late 90s anime dub to me. Ash doesn't sound as good in the trailer as he did in Movie 22 (the LET'S SCREAM EVERYTHING I SAY AT ALL TIMES thing doesn't work for me) and Goh just sounds really off to me. And of course Meowth is as terrible as always.
  • Go, Gou, and Goh are all perfectly acceptable, legitimate romanization for ゴウ. It also seems like some of you don't realize that ゴウ is also a regular Japanese name? It's not just the word "Go" with an elongated "o" sound, it's a real, common Japanese name. Ever heard of Go Ichinose?
  • Speaking of Gou, it's super weird to me that people are upset that he's keeping his Japanese name. Oh no, now everyone around the world's going to be calling this kid the same thing, the horror. I say the more names that are the same across regions, the better.

Last edited:
Nickelodeon is the only channel who can pick the series up, but I don't think that they would be interested in Pokemon.

Nickelodeon wouldn't air an anime title, but they would put it on their Nicktoons channel. If people thought Disney XD was bad for whatever reasons, Nicktoons would be a thousand times worse. If what happened to Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V and Zexal was any indication, there would be much longer breaks between new episodes, barely any promotion for new episodes, episodes wouldn't be easily accessible on their website and On Demand sections and there would a be a good chance that they'd never completely air a series. They never aired the last chuck of Zexal for some reason and they skipped an entire season of Arc V because they were that far behind the boost pack releases by this point. Nicktoons would be a huge downgrade from Disney XD and they would treat Pokemon far in a way worse.

While I'm still kind of disappointed over the Netflix deal, I wouldn't consider it a downgrade. There is a big plus with making the series more accessible, so that will be neat. I really hope that this deal doesn't make them want to rush back into production for the Japanese version. Ideally, things will be better come September, at least enough to where the studios are able to work on the series, but I'm just hoping that the prospect of needing twelve more episodes to dub come September doesn't make them go back into production before it's safe for the staff.

• The show still sounds like a late 90s anime dub to me. Ash doesn't sound as good in the trailer as he did in Movie 22 (the LET'S SCREAM EVERYTHING I SAY AT ALL TIMES thing doesn't work for me) and Goh just sounds really off to me. And of course Meowth is as terrible as always.

JCC at times is okay as Meowth but.... he just lacks the range and energy that Maddie Blaustein had with the role. That's why I was hoping at least Meowth would have been recasted going into Journeys but... alas that didn't happen.

Something ''funny'' is happening on Netflix. I am from Portugal, and our Pokémon movies and episodes on Netflix have as audio options the English dub, the Spanish dub and the French dub (aside from the Portuguese dub).
I noticed yesterday that the Brazilian Portuguese dub was added to every episode and movie available, and I thought that maybe they did it because there are a lot of Brazilian people here in Portugal, so it made sense.
But today I was checking an episode and then I noticed something funny. Today they added a TON of different dubs, not only the dubs from other European countries but also from countries all around the world.
The Japanese version of the show is sadly still unavailable (aside from the Mewtwo movie), but I guess this means that Netflix is working to increase their Pokémon library (starting by providing different dubs from all over the world, which is neat). I hope their next step is the release of other past seasons.

Something ''funny'' is happening on Netflix. I am from Portugal, and our Pokémon movies and episodes on Netflix have as audio options the English dub, the Spanish dub and the French dub (aside from the Portuguese dub).
I noticed yesterday that the Brazilian Portuguese dub was added to every episode and movie available, and I thought that maybe they did it because there are a lot of Brazilian people here in Portugal, so it made sense.
But today I was checking an episode and then I noticed something funny. Today they added a TON of different dubs, not only the dubs from other European countries but also from countries all around the world.
The Japanese version of the show is sadly still unavailable (aside from the Mewtwo movie), but I guess this means that Netflix is working to increase their Pokémon library (starting by providing different dubs from all over the world, which is neat). I hope their next step is the release of other past seasons.
Interesting. Guess this could mean that besides America, even other countries around the world are perhaps starting to move away from TV in favor of streaming.

I wanted to know something, like the M22 released worldwide (including India and dubbed in regional language) as it became a Netflix Original!
Will the S23 be released worldwide as well, as it became a Netflix Original and therefore come to India?

Here in Canada they did the opposite. A few days ago I was watching the Brazilian Portuguese dub since it's the dub I grew up with, now I went to see a few more episodes and it's completely gone.

All they have now are the English, German, Italian, Spanish and French dubs.

But I'm talking about the first season of Kanto only. They have a few Pokemon movies and Sun and Moon Ultra Legends, not sure which dubs those have.

That opening was pretty good. Admittedly, I'm still disappointed that it's only thirty seconds long and the chances of Netflix getting a slightly longer version probably aren't that good. It's not surprising, but it's still kind of a shame. That being said, the music is pretty good, the singer sounds energetic as it progresses and there's actual buildup to the chorus. It also makes me feel more excited to watch an episode, which is exactly what a Pokemon dub opening should do and a huge reason why I wish they had more than thirty seconds to convey that kind of excitement. It still might be one of the best TPCI openings for quite sometime.

I also wasn't expecting Koharu's dub name to be Chloe. I'm so used to both Gou and Koharu's Japanese names that it might take me awhile to get used to Chloe. It isn't a bad name choice. I've just been so used to Koharu for the past few months.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom