• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Neverending Romance -- The Shipping List Revival

Just wanted to say that I'm really glad that this thread is continuing to curate a list for the fandom's ship names! I always thought the way the Pokémon fandom named their ships was clever and made finding content for them so much easier, so the og Neverending Romance site going inactive made me sad. Thank you so much for putting in all the work towards keeping this aspect of the fandom alive!

Also, I noticed that some ships I like don't seem to have ship names yet so I came up with some suggestions:
DevotedAssistantShipping — Oleana & Wicke​
ButlerTraineeShipping — Darach & Ingo​
PunkIdolShipping — Lisia & Marnie​
TundraDragonShipping — Drasna & Melony​
TeaCeremonyShipping — Daisy Oak & Erika​
GemLeaderShipping — Gordie & Grant​
I made sure to double check the list, but if any of these suggestions present an issue, just let me know!

Last edited:
LMAO oh man, I had no idea the extent my ancient, extremely niche pairing has traveled...

I made an account specifically so I could formally apologize for the name Prof. Krane x Ivy has, as once upon a time many eons ago, my friend and I roleplayed them (me as Krane, them as Ivy) and I feel I'm half the blame here. We never actually wrote anything zesty (I'm a f2b fan myself), and it was a pairing I cared about for maybe two or three months total over a decade ago, but we certainly made jokes about them for the brief time they existed. Predictably, their personalities were more "original character dressed up as a canon character" and less actually in character, but we ran into this list on I believe FreeWebs ages ago? Anyway, I made a quip about what our pairing's name would be, we shared laughs, and I promptly forgot about it.

Imagine the slap from the past I just got perusing forums without an account, as I'm prone to doing, seeing this thread and going, "Oh man, I remember that!" and clicking through to see my old, tasteless joke... I am so sorry. XD

I don't know if ship names can be changed or anything, but a quick net search doesn't bring up anything so it's not like anyone has even used it yet? Either way, know that you have the blessing of the one who unintentionally named Krane x Ivy to either change the name, remove them, never use again, or whatever LOL. I wouldn't even begin to know what an appropriate substitution name for them would be at this point!

Last edited:
I am here to propose more ship names for ships only I ship.

LakeValorShipping - Wallace & Nurse Joy
RulanticaShipping - Nessa & Zinnia
SeaberryShipping - Siebold & Nurse Joy
HealingWishShipping - Nurse Joy & Zinnia
VioletSeaShipping - Violet (anime) and Wallace
GoldilocksSometimeShipping - Steven Stone, Lance, Diantha, Wallace, Cynthia, and Winona
HelpMeRhondaShipping - Rhonda (Sinnoh) & Wallace
BreakingNewsShipping - Rhonda (Sinnoh) & Malva
SpreadYourWingsShipping - Winona & Malva
ReverseHeathersShipping - Wallace & Malva
HundredDollarShipping - Morty & Celebi

Also, I have a question: is there a way to see discussions for ship submissions pre-list revival?

Last edited:
ive been hunting around to try and find some pokemon masters ship names and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much around, but heres some ive found:

NewfoundRegalShipping - Bettie & Lear
RoyalLoversShipping - Rachel & Sawyer
PasioShipping - Paulo & Scottie

all of these are the pokemon masters characters, not any other pkmn charas they may share names with.
all of these ship names were found on tumblr, and i also check google as well but didnt find much else. also, ive seen maybe 1-5 people using these names in my own hunting, so theyre not particularly common, but neither is pokemas shipping as a whole. i did see a few more ships, but unfortunately didnt find any ship names for them

i also checked the list, and it looks like all these names are free. i did see one person using BulletTrainShipping as emmet/lear, but thats already taken, and there seems to be slightly more usage as PrivateVarnishShipping anyway. still, i thought id mention it

this is getting a bit long for what it is, but thats what ive found. i might do a bit more hunting for pokemas ship names some other time (there seems like there might be a bit more content on twitter than tumblr, but i dont use twitter unfortunately)
Thank you for finding these! All of the names look free, and if these names have real-world usage, it should be all good to go. Really appreciate people finding names like these from Tumblr and the like!

Hi! A little while ago I submitted ApotheosisShipping as Zero/Arceus, but I would like to amend that submission to have the name be for Volo/Arceus instead! I submitted the name before PLA came out and I now think it suits Volo a lot better! It hasn't been added to the list officially yet so hopefully this will be fine!
I try to limit these types of changes but considering the list hasn't been updated yet, it's not a big deal. Legends Arceus is old enough by now that names will be on the next update, so as long as it passes real-world checks it'll be on there.

On that note, if anyone has any resources or knowledge of PLA names on Tumblr, Twitter, or elsewhere, please let me know!

Hi Hi !! My name is Aria, I ship a few nevermets and run a Next Gen blog on Tumblr so I wanted to post these names before they got taken!!

SteleShipping - Steven Stone & Cara Liss
DarkAcademiaShipping - Silver (Game) & Chloe Cerise
ParaSocialiteShipping - Drew & Nini

Stele is for the Rosetta Stone which is a Stele, which Cara would actually honestly for sure call an actual stone. I like them because I think Steven would find her quite charming despite her...... lack of a brain. Silver and Chloe are together because they're both Scions of "great" people who are expected to follow in their parents footsteps and actually meet studying under Cara Liss in Galar and become study buddies in order to teach each other and survive their externship with her. Drew meets Nini while in Kalos I just think they'd be cute since I endgame Paul/May/Ash. Nini's well known in the Performer world and would therefore be a Socialite and the Para is for Paramour (since they meet while he's in a relationship with May.) :3c
All of these look free, so I'd have to imagine you'll be good to go.

Some Lear ships. The first one is already in use, but the rest were coined by none other than me, Ajay.

RoyalLectureShipping - Cheren & Lear
RoyalErrandShipping - Lear & Bianca (BW)
BlackRoyalShipping - Hilbert & Lear
WhiteRoyalShipping - Lear & Hilda
KingPrinceShipping - Lear & N (BW)
DualRoyalShipping - Cheren, Lear & Bianca (BW)
FrozenWarmthShipping - Chloe & Regina
NothungShipping - Ryuki & Liza (Johto)
As usual with new characters, I'll have to check around (especially if Cheren & Lear is community-named), but I'd imagine all of these will be good. One note, is NothungShipping a typo? Either way, it could be mistaken as a typo of NothingShipping. It'll probably get through given both pairings are rare enough that there shouldn't be any confusion, but if you had a second name in mind, it might be worth considering.

Just wanted to say that I'm really glad that this thread is continuing to curate a list for the fandom's ship names! I always thought the way the Pokémon fandom named their ships was clever and made finding content for them so much easier, so the og Neverending Romance site going inactive made me sad. Thank you so much for putting in all the work towards keeping this aspect of the fandom alive!

Also, I noticed that some ships I like don't seem to have ship names yet so I came up with some suggestions:
DevotedAssistantShipping — Oleana & Wicke​
ButlerTraineeShipping — Darach & Ingo​
PunkIdolShipping — Lisia & Marnie​
TundraDragonShipping — Drasna & Melony​
TeaCeremonyShipping — Daisy Oak & Erika​
GemLeaderShipping — Gordie & Grant​
I made sure to double check the list, but if any of these suggestions present an issue, just let me know!
Thank you for your kind words, so happy that I could help!

All of these look free so they'll probably be good to go.

LMAO oh man, I had no idea the extent my ancient, extremely niche pairing has traveled... I made an account specifically so I could formally apologize for the name Prof. Krane x Ivy has, as once upon a time many eons ago, my friend and I roleplayed them (me as Krane, them as Ivy) and I feel I'm half the blame here. We never actually wrote anything zesty (I'm a f2b fan myself), and it was a pairing I cared about for maybe two or three months total over a decade ago, but we certainly made jokes about them for the brief time they existed. Predictably, their personalities were more "original character dressed up as a canon character" and less actually in character, but we ran into this list on I believe FreeWebs ages ago? Anyway, I made a quip about what our pairing's name would be, we shared laughs, and I promptly forgot about it.

Imagine the slap from the past I just got perusing forums without an account, as I'm prone to doing, seeing this thread and going, "Oh man, I remember that!" and clicking through to see my old, tasteless joke... I am so sorry. XD

I don't know if ship names can be changed or anything, but a quick net search doesn't bring up anything so it's not like anyone has even used it yet? Either way, know that you have the blessing of the one who unintentionally named Krane x Ivy to either change the name, remove them, never use again, or whatever LOL. I wouldn't even begin to know what an appropriate substitution name for them would be at this point!
This is quite the situation. Given that this pairing was added at least 11 years ago, I think it's a bit late for a request by this point, and we have no way of knowing if you're actually the person who named it or not. The point remains, however, whether or not BDSMShipping should remain on the list, given more far more prominent names have been moved to the untouchables in the past. Of course, the untouchables list has long been dormant without much of a good way to revive it, which complicates the issue. This is far from the only questionable pairing name that has survived as well. The previous Bulbagarden staff comment was "The shipping list is a way for users to keep track of all existing ships but it doesn't necessarily mean that the site approves of them all." and I interpret that as meaning "live and let live" regarding the historical content of the list. If any Bulbagarden staff has strong opinions on this, please let me know!

I have a similar proposal.

FriendsOfWinterShipping - The Miss Fortunes.
On a related note, while there are certainly incestuous pairings on the list and have been for well over a decade, it's questionable whether or not they should still be knowingly accepted. Complicating this even further is the fact it's unclear whether or not the Miss Fortunes are even relatives. They certainly use the word "sisters" many times in the English release, but I'm not sure if the same is true in the Japanese original where their name is in reference to the three friends of winter. They also don't seem to resemble each other and could be using the word "sister" in the same figurative way sorority members do. Once again, if any staff members have opinions on this, I'd appreciate your input.

Just as a note, if this pairing is accepted, it'll be listed as FriendsOfWinterShipping - Charm (Hisui), Clover & Coin (Hisui)

Note to self: Filter out Oxford commas from the list for search functionality.

I am here to propose more ship names for ships only I ship.

LakeValorShipping - Wallace & Nurse Joy
RulanticaShipping - Nessa & Zinnia
SeaberryShipping - Siebold & Nurse Joy
HealingWishShipping - Nurse Joy & Zinnia
VioletSeaShipping - Violet (anime) and Wallace
GoldilocksSometimeShipping - Steven Stone, Lance, Diantha, Wallace, Cynthia, and Winona
HelpMeRhondaShipping - Rhonda (Sinnoh) & Wallace
BreakingNewsShipping - Rhonda (Sinnoh) & Malva
SpreadYourWingsShipping - Winona & Malva
ReverseHeathersShipping - Wallace & Malva
HundredDollarShipping - Morty & Celebi

Also, I have a question: is there a way to see discussions for ship submissions pre-list revival?
"ship names for ships only I ship" are my favorite kind, really, because they're super simple to process.

What exactly do you mean by "discussions for ship submissions pre-list revival"? If you're talking about the types of discussions we're having here, there are a number of resources. The best preserved are the "What's This Ship Called?" threads hosted on SPPf, which collectively have about 8300 posts preserved spanning from 2004 to the present. Threads (click the names) are V1, V2, V3, and V4. On Tumblr, Luna Tiger used the incompleteromance URL, which has nearly 4200 posts spanning about two years (though the majority of it is artwork, not discussion) and esm8m used the pkmnshippinglist URL with about 7250 posts spanning virtually all of their three-year administration. On BMGf, the discussion threads are unfortunately not well-preserved and most of the original copies have been deleted, to the best of my knowledge. An archived copy of the main thread, The (In)Complete List of Shippers, is available though only about 15% complete. This copy, if complete, would include about 8000 posts spanning 2004 to 2015, covering part of Archaic's administration, most or all of Luna Tiger's, and the first half of esm8m's. A secondary thread for name suggestions, the Name It Game, does survive, with 874 posts spanning from 2009 to 2021.

I have no idea if any of that answered your question lol but hopefully it gave you something

"ship names for ships only I ship" are my favorite kind, really, because they're super simple to process.
It’s a symbiotic relationship: you get ships that are simple to process, I get to call myself the spearheader of the ship.
What exactly do you mean by "discussions for ship submissions pre-list revival"? If you're talking about the types of discussions we're having here, there are a number of resources. The best preserved are the "What's This Ship Called?" threads hosted on SPPf, which collectively have about 8300 posts preserved spanning from 2004 to the present. Threads (click the names) are V1, V2, V3, and V4. On Tumblr, Luna Tiger used the incompleteromance URL, which has nearly 4200 posts spanning about two years (though the majority of it is artwork, not discussion) and esm8m used the pkmnshippinglist URL with about 7250 posts spanning virtually all of their three-year administration. On BMGf, the discussion threads are unfortunately not well-preserved and most of the original copies have been deleted, to the best of my knowledge. An archived copy of the main thread, The (In)Complete List of Shippers, is available though only about 15% complete. This copy, if complete, would include about 8000 posts spanning 2004 to 2015, covering part of Archaic's administration, most or all of Luna Tiger's, and the first half of esm8m's. A secondary thread for name suggestions, the Name It Game, does survive, with 874 posts spanning from 2009 to 2021.
Apologies for my poor wording, I meant “discussions of what names to give ships and why”. These links are very intriguing, though, and allow me to spend the next five hours looking through them. My guess is that I might be able to find “whys” for ship names through them. Thank you < 3

They are not siblings. Charm hails from Kanto, and Clover and Coin are from different clans.
All I know for sure is that Bulbapedia and other sources call them sisters. The exact meaning of that is something we'll have to look into.

It’s a symbiotic relationship: you get ships that are simple to process, I get to call myself the spearheader of the ship.

Apologies for my poor wording, I meant “discussions of what names to give ships and why”. These links are very intriguing, though, and allow me to spend the next five hours looking through them. My guess is that I might be able to find “whys” for ship names through them. Thank you < 3
I'm still not certain what you mean to be honest, do you mean why a pairing has its specific name? There was once a Serebii thread called Shipping Names Explained for that purpose, but it's unfortunately deleted now and I can't find any archived copies. In a lot of cases though, if you're looking for an explanation from the original namer, it would be in one of the threads where it was originally suggested. If you mean discussions between a community about what to name larger pairings like PearlShipping or AmourShipping, that'll generally be in an early thread for that specific pairing.

If I may add one (1) more ship name for a ship only I ship:

AquaticArtistryShipping - Siebold, Nessa, and Wallace

That is all

Edit: I must also add DivineDinnerShipping - Siebold/Grant/Viola/Valerie

Last edited:
Thank you for finding these! All of the names look free, and if these names have real-world usage, it should be all good to go. Really appreciate people finding names like these from Tumblr and the like!

I try to limit these types of changes but considering the list hasn't been updated yet, it's not a big deal. Legends Arceus is old enough by now that names will be on the next update, so as long as it passes real-world checks it'll be on there.

On that note, if anyone has any resources or knowledge of PLA names on Tumblr, Twitter, or elsewhere, please let me know!

All of these look free, so I'd have to imagine you'll be good to go.

As usual with new characters, I'll have to check around (especially if Cheren & Lear is community-named), but I'd imagine all of these will be good. One note, is NothungShipping a typo? Either way, it could be mistaken as a typo of NothingShipping. It'll probably get through given both pairings are rare enough that there shouldn't be any confusion, but if you had a second name in mind, it might be worth considering.

Thank you for your kind words, so happy that I could help!

All of these look free so they'll probably be good to go.

This is quite the situation. Given that this pairing was added at least 11 years ago, I think it's a bit late for a request by this point, and we have no way of knowing if you're actually the person who named it or not. The point remains, however, whether or not BDSMShipping should remain on the list, given more far more prominent names have been moved to the untouchables in the past. Of course, the untouchables list has long been dormant without much of a good way to revive it, which complicates the issue. This is far from the only questionable pairing name that has survived as well. The previous Bulbagarden staff comment was "The shipping list is a way for users to keep track of all existing ships but it doesn't necessarily mean that the site approves of them all." and I interpret that as meaning "live and let live" regarding the historical content of the list. If any Bulbagarden staff has strong opinions on this, please let me know!

On a related note, while there are certainly incestuous pairings on the list and have been for well over a decade, it's questionable whether or not they should still be knowingly accepted. Complicating this even further is the fact it's unclear whether or not the Miss Fortunes are even relatives. They certainly use the word "sisters" many times in the English release, but I'm not sure if the same is true in the Japanese original where their name is in reference to the three friends of winter. They also don't seem to resemble each other and could be using the word "sister" in the same figurative way sorority members do. Once again, if any staff members have opinions on this, I'd appreciate your input.

Just as a note, if this pairing is accepted, it'll be listed as FriendsOfWinterShipping - Charm (Hisui), Clover & Coin (Hisui)

Note to self: Filter out Oxford commas from the list for search functionality.

I have no idea if any of that answered your question lol but hopefully it gave you something
I'd like to clarify that NothungShipping is not a typo. In Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), Gram, a mythological weapon, is referred to as Nothung. Another name used by the Gram is Balmung, which is used in The Nibelungenlied.

If I may add one (1) more ship name for a ship only I ship:

AquaticArtistryShipping - Siebold, Nessa, and Wallace

That is all

Edit: I must also add DivineDinnerShipping - Siebold/Grant/Viola/Valerie
sorry my friend that's two (2) ship names we're gonna have to shut it down :p

Bulbapedia also says that Charm is from Kanto and Clover and Coin from different clans. The English localization is also the only one that calls them sisters.
Their Bulbapedia page doesn't mention anything about Kanto at all, it simply states that all three were members of the Galaxy Team and Clover and Coin were members of the different clans. Other localizations (likely derived from the English localization) also call them sisters, which is evident in their French name if nothing else. All of that said, I'm still not convinced they're relatives, and I remain open to any comments from Bulbagarden staff on the issue.

I'll make an edit on this, after looking into Charm's Bulbapedia page it does cite dialog saying she came from Kanto and there's no indication that all three of them did or even that they knew each other before joining the Galaxy Team. Given the sum of the evidence, I think it's likely that they're simply a trio with common ideas and only call themselves sisters figuratively, rather than meaning a literal familial relationship.

I'd like to clarify that NothungShipping is not a typo. In Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), Gram, a mythological weapon, is referred to as Nothung. Another name used by the Gram is Balmung, which is used in The Nibelungenlied.
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Good to know the meaning and how the name originated. In this case I think it'll be added given the relative obscurity of both pairings, but as a future note to anyone interested, names aren't guaranteed to be accepted if there's a high likelihood they'll cause confusion with another pairing, especially a well-known one. There's no way the gen 9 Ash x companion pairing would be called something like FistFriendShipping, for example, no matter how friendly their fists are

Last edited:

Yeah, I wasn't the one to add it - it would have had to been my friend so that's entirely fair! XD So don't worry, it wasn't really a straight-up request, I didn't hold my breath that I would be able to change it, but I just wanted to toss my two cents in 'cause hooboy if I had known it would be public, much less persist this long... oof.

Last edited:
Went hunting for some legends arceus ship names! I exclusively checked tumblr because that's all I really use and there was a lot I wanted to check. This will likely overlap with names people have already collected here, so I apologise for that

Here are some very frequent ones, most having over ten pages of posts in the tags, but all pretty populated:
AppraisalShipping - Adaman & Volo
ClanLeaderShipping - Adaman & Irida
CrazyTrainShipping - Ingo & Volo
HighlandsShipping - Ingo & Melli
(also sometimes, but less frequently, called CustomerServiceShipping)
SurveyShipping - Cyllene & Laventon
TrainwreckShipping - Emmet & Volo

Then some less common ones, ranging from a few pages to a few posts in the tags:
AdamantOrbShipping - Adaman & Melli (about three pages of content, but not uncommon)
DojoShipping - Ingo & Zisu (about three pages of content, but not exactly uncommon)
MilkyWayShipping - Cogita & Cyllene (three posts and I saw it mentioned by this name in a fourth. Also called MotherlyShipping by one person)
SecretSeaShipping - Iscan & Palina (barely two pages of content)
SkyFallenShipping - Akari & Rei (two pages of content)
SnowmobileShipping - Gaeric & Ingo (five posts by three people, also called PolarexpressShipping by two people and WinterTrainRideShipping by one. Overall inconsistent)
SpatialDawnShipping - Akari & Irida (three posts, but all by different people)
TrainSetShipping - Cyllene, Ingo & Laventon (this one's interesting, there's only one person making posts but they get a lot of asks and comments from different people engaging in the ship, so there is a bigger fanbase than just them. Also there is three whole pages of content)

Then some that I only saw used by a single person for each, but still worth mentioning:
CrazyTrainwreckShipping - Emmet, Ingo & Volo (tagged with trainwreck and crazytrain but not blank, so probably no incest. also I'm not quite sure how this one should be capitalised)
DevilsTrainShipping - Grimsley, Ingo & Volo
GalaxyMochiShipping - Beni & Kamado
PoisonHealShipping - Melli & Volo

Keep in mind that this is just usage of the ship name, not necessarily popularity of the ship, and exclusively on tumblr. I believe some of these are already taken, but I'm not here to decide what should or shouldn't go on the list, just share what I've found

I was told this morning that you've revived the Neverending Romance list, and was going to look up some of the most prominent PLA ships that really should be added to this list, but thankfully it looks like 'i am just sitting here' has already taken care of that! (Funny enough, I was using pretty similar methodology to them too... Also... HAH! They mentioned me with the inconsistency for Gaeric & Ingo! I will laugh so much if my suggestion wins out because it's the only name not already claimed on the list!)

One ship that has become quite popular in the last few months that they didn't mention (because it isn't PLA, but rather happened because of the resurgence in Emmet and Ingo's popularity and that event in PokeMas) however is WhiteNoiseShipping - Emmet & Piers
I know that the ship name is already taken, but the fandom seems to have spoken and there's no way it's going to be changed now.

Also I feel like it goes mentioning that while Volo & Akari is popular enough that it probably warrants a spot on this list, the common name for that ship seems to be volokari. The most popular name that I can find that fits within the XShipping format for that one is WielderShipping. But only about 3 people use that one. I also saw one person using PlateShipping for them.

It's more like a 'you all' thing...? I don't know who's doing the updating, only that the list is being updated again (unlike the old page that this list used to be on). I was only aware of the original shipping.bulbagarden page (which hasn't been updated since, what? 2016?) and not of this forum. The specifics of the 'you' does not matter.

Back
Top Bottom