• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Neverending Romance -- The Shipping List Revival

Thank you answering and including links! I really enjoy seeing parts of the list's history, things I might have missed, and messages I hadn't read, so thank you again for clearing this up for me.

By "interchangeable," I meant if it was known there were duplicates and these names could mean any of a name's listed ships, depending on the content being presented (like fics or art) which I believe you answered thoroughly so thank you! Like, I didn't know so now I do and for future reference. I wasn't intending for it come off like it was wrong or anything, so my apologies for any misunderstanding. I don't know the proper terms for many things, but I am learning!

I suspected that most of the overlap would be a 'nothing can be done' case, so it's nice to have confirmation in a way. It's difficult to argue with real world usage, in which it is good to consider.

In that case, I am wondering how changing names goes? Is the two updates rule still standing? I'd noticed that the ship name for N (BW) & Piers has usage under another name on Tumblr, MathRockShipping, for a while. Earliest ones I could find on Tumblr were August 2020 here and here. For Twitter, Tumblr is influencing its usage, but those came after I named it (two Twitter hits here and here). I originally named it ChoiceKingdomShipping back here in August 2021, so mistressdratha's Tumblr name definitely predates mine about a year. But, the situation is MathRock is listed as Conway & Roxie.

Would this just be another duplicate or left as is? There aren't many posts on Tumblr for the name, though it's still significant enough to recognize since most of the Tumblr usage is for N & Piers, and the people involved do have more influence. Any changes that might have to be made, I'm completely up for it. I know the community is definitely more than just those two sites and I do need to check the forums more, so please feel free to correct me on anything!

Thank you! And thank you for your patience with my many edits; I keep accidentally replying before I am done :confused:
Anytime! Super fun to discuss it with people.

Yeah, a duplicate name can refer to either pairing, though in most cases people will only understand one of them (usually the later one). That's one of the reasons against adding the duplicate, because it usually tramples whatever used to have the name. But often that happens regardless of what the list decides. Ash x Serena will never be added as ChildhoodShipping but good luck finding anyone using that name for Dawn x Leona.

Side note but I just noticed a mod added a disclaimer onto the list that listing =/= endorsement which is pretty funny. I'll make a note that I would prefer that Bulbagarden staff please contact me with any issues about the list before taking action, but I otherwise agree with the disclaimer and I'll probably add my own with the next update.

The two updates rule is essentially dead but people request changes infrequently enough that they're usually at least entertained. If you want to withdraw the name I suppose that you can, though I'd have to do more research before deciding whether or not MathRockShipping should be added for N x Piers. Only a couple of people isn't usually enough to start adding duplicates; I try not to do that unless it's overwhelming. If I don't end up adding it as MathRockShipping, do you still want ChoiceKingdomShipping to be removed?

Hello! Thinking it over, I think I'll keep the name. Just to explain, the inspiration behind it references Pier's home (galar = uk/england) and the kingdom imagery fit well with N. If anything comes up with it, just let me know! I want to do what I can to help.

May I request changes for my own names? January 2021, I named the Brawly/Grimsley/Marlon pairing RevaniShipping. It's not a popular pairing in general it seems (I don't get any hits other than here), but I took fancy to a name that fit them more thematically since they all love the ocean. I wanted to go with PuraVidaShipping! I'd love to hear if this is a possible change.

Some other submissions:
AyavonShipping - Cynthia, Lorelei & Malva
MelogranoShipping - Molayne, Diantha, Nessa & Olivia
ScoreboardShipping - Grimsley & Samson Oak

Hello! Thinking it over, I think I'll keep the name. Just to explain, the inspiration behind it references Pier's home (galar = uk/england) and the kingdom imagery fit well with N. If anything comes up with it, just let me know! I want to do what I can to help.

May I request changes for my own names? January 2021, I named the Brawly/Grimsley/Marlon pairing RevaniShipping. It's not a popular pairing in general it seems (I don't get any hits other than here), but I took fancy to a name that fit them more thematically since they all love the ocean. I wanted to go with PuraVidaShipping! I'd love to hear if this is a possible change.

Some other submissions:
AyavonShipping - Cynthia, Lorelei & Malva
MelogranoShipping - Molayne, Diantha, Nessa & Olivia
ScoreboardShipping - Grimsley & Samson Oak
We really try to keep the names the same once they're submitted, but I suppose that as there isn't any usage outside of the list, there isn't much harm in changing it. Do be warned however that once a submitted name has any real-world usage, it's very unlikely that it'll be changed by request, so do try to make sure you're confident in your names before putting them in.

While IlexPromiseShipping was submitted and added to the list for Goh/Horace, not long after Horace's first episode, the ship has since gained more traction as Horace became a more prominent character, and I've noticed a high use of the name TimelessPromiseShipping for them. Would it be possible to either replace the initial ship name or have both?

While IlexPromiseShipping was submitted and added to the list for Goh/Horace, not long after Horace's first episode, the ship has since gained more traction as Horace became a more prominent character, and I've noticed a high use of the name TimelessPromiseShipping for them. Would it be possible to either replace the initial ship name or have both?
I'm not going to commit to keeping it or changing it right now, but given the sheer age of the TimelessPromise name, its relative popularity, and the fact that the original submitter is making the request, I think there's a legitimate case here.

Hoping these characters aren't too obscure to have ship names Also need my dreams to be memes

MicroShipping - Aroma Lady Carnation/Rich Boy Antoin

RomanticRivalShipping- Bug Maniac Felix/Poké Maniac Kelvin
It's definitely uncommon but there's precedent for pairings with random game trainers. Bigger issue here is that RomanticRivalShipping is already Drew & Miette so that one will need a different name.

AlienDeviceShipping - Dulse & Thorton
DragonDarlingShipping - Lily (Kanto) & Latias
IodineShipping - Dulse, Thorton & Anabel
ShigaisenShipping - Dulse & Anabel

ConfectionerShipping - Kelly & Miette
InquisitiveShipping - Sawyer (XY) & Tate
RoyalBondsShipping - Lear & Bettie
RoyalTiesShipping - Lear & Scottie

---
Edit 6/23:
AmbitiousIdealsShipping - Cheren & Zekrom
AmbitiousTruthShipping - Cheren & Reshiram
HonestIdealsShipping - Bianca (BW) & Zekrom
HonestTruthShipping - Bianca (BW) & Reshiram

Last edited:
Huh...I actually remember Jessie and Wendy being called Smoothieshipping way back in the day. Was very surprised to see the name is taken by two completely different characters.
This is absolutely wild. SmoothieShipping was named on this list as Trip x Hazel by SerenaForTheWin on SPPf on July 10 2014. But what you're mentioning, though not widespread, is apparently a name for Jessie x Wendy. The earliest mention I can find is April 29 2005, and the latest is October 2006. I honestly don't know what to do with this one. SmoothieShipping as Trip x Hazel was accepted generations ago before my involvement, but perhaps SmoothieShipping as Jessie x Wendy should've been on the list in the first place. I'll look into it more but this is definitely a curious case.

ive been hunting around to try and find some pokemon masters ship names and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much around, but heres some ive found:

NewfoundRegalShipping - Bettie & Lear
RoyalLoversShipping - Rachel & Sawyer
PasioShipping - Paulo & Scottie

all of these are the pokemon masters characters, not any other pkmn charas they may share names with.
all of these ship names were found on tumblr, and i also check google as well but didnt find much else. also, ive seen maybe 1-5 people using these names in my own hunting, so theyre not particularly common, but neither is pokemas shipping as a whole. i did see a few more ships, but unfortunately didnt find any ship names for them

i also checked the list, and it looks like all these names are free. i did see one person using BulletTrainShipping as emmet/lear, but thats already taken, and there seems to be slightly more usage as PrivateVarnishShipping anyway. still, i thought id mention it

this is getting a bit long for what it is, but thats what ive found. i might do a bit more hunting for pokemas ship names some other time (there seems like there might be a bit more content on twitter than tumblr, but i dont use twitter unfortunately)

Hi! A little while ago I submitted ApotheosisShipping as Zero/Arceus, but I would like to amend that submission to have the name be for Volo/Arceus instead! I submitted the name before PLA came out and I now think it suits Volo a lot better! It hasn't been added to the list officially yet so hopefully this will be fine!

Hi Hi !! My name is Aria, I ship a few nevermets and run a Next Gen blog on Tumblr so I wanted to post these names before they got taken!!

SteleShipping - Steven Stone & Cara Liss
DarkAcademiaShipping - Silver (Game) & Chloe Cerise
ParaSocialiteShipping - Drew & Nini

Stele is for the Rosetta Stone which is a Stele, which Cara would actually honestly for sure call an actual stone. I like them because I think Steven would find her quite charming despite her...... lack of a brain. Silver and Chloe are together because they're both Scions of "great" people who are expected to follow in their parents footsteps and actually meet studying under Cara Liss in Galar and become study buddies in order to teach each other and survive their externship with her. Drew meets Nini while in Kalos I just think they'd be cute since I endgame Paul/May/Ash. Nini's well known in the Performer world and would therefore be a Socialite and the Para is for Paramour (since they meet while he's in a relationship with May.) :3c

Some Lear ships. The first one is already in use, but the rest were coined by none other than me, Ajay.

RoyalLectureShipping - Cheren & Lear
RoyalErrandShipping - Lear & Bianca (BW)
BlackRoyalShipping - Hilbert & Lear
WhiteRoyalShipping - Lear & Hilda
KingPrinceShipping - Lear & N (BW)
DualRoyalShipping - Cheren, Lear & Bianca (BW)
FrozenWarmthShipping - Chloe & Regina
NothungShipping - Ryuki & Liza (Johto)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom