• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New 3DS means lack of lag?

Krash

I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
So we all know the hassle of using the 3D for X and Y. Battles slow down, things get laggy, animation gets choppy. The system just can't handle all that Surf going on and still properly animate the sprites when that little right-hand slider is maxed out.

With the new 3DS having a better CPU, do you think that the issue of cranking the 3D to "max" will be resolved? Will we finally be able to enjoy the gimmicky goodness of eye-popping "3D" without the noted lag? Or will we forever be doomed to keep the slider down?

Thoughts?

Well I could see that being an amazing thing if the newer model fixes that problem.

Well, most of new released version of the same console is the improved version of the older one(except for 2DS). So I guess, its a yes..

Though I don't experience lags when I played XY.

This may just be me, but XY are the only games that give me lagging issues with the 3D on... or off. With my other 3D games, the graphics run smoothly unless the action gets very thick (and the 3D has to be on), while simply turning on the 3D during a normal wild encounter causes enough lag to shut it off. Perhaps the flaw is in the games, not the system; the 3D in XY isn't even that good compared to those other games.

This may just be me, but XY are the only games that give me lagging issues with the 3D on... or off. With my other 3D games, the graphics run smoothly unless the action gets very thick (and the 3D has to be on), while simply turning on the 3D during a normal wild encounter causes enough lag to shut it off. Perhaps the flaw is in the games, not the system; the 3D in XY isn't even that good compared to those other games.

That's weird. Never had a lag ever since I played XY. Sorry to say this, but maybe the problem is in the console/system, not in the game. Not to mention that my console is just old months and with coffee splash experience. But never a lag.

I have the first model (small) 3DS so that could be my issue. But when I have the 3D turned up all the way, throw out something big, and use "Surf", the animations slow down and get choppy. You'd think the quality control would catch issues. I never have problems with other games. Either way, I hope it's fixed in ORAS or with the new system.

I get lag in Triple Battles and in Horde Battles against Trevenant. Also during a lot of 3D animations but I barely ever use 3D so I don't really care about the latter.

Everyone who says they have never experienced lag, clearly haven't fought many Horde Battles. It's horrible.

I know that Nintendo have stated that regular 3DS games won't be receiving a graphical upgrade, but it is true that they haven't commented on the performance of games. I'm not sure if Pokémon XY will change, due to those games already being out and programmed for the original 3DS hardware, but I hope that GameFreak were at least given some time with the New 3DS so it could be fixed with ORAS.

Yeah, there's tons of lag in XY. Off the top of my head, I've seen it with Hordes, with the Roller Skates on, and in the sandstorm on Rt. 13. I'd definitely like to see them fix this with New 3DS.

I don't use the 3D or care about it, at all. But my guess is yes. Also, since ORAS was probably in development in unison with X and Y, chances are the lag will remain for a while longer.

I don't experience much lag in any 3DS game aside from Tales of the Abyss, but since the New 3DS is getting Xenoblade Chronicles, I would assume it would be more than powerful enough to handle X/Y and OR/AS

Everyone who says they have never experienced lag, clearly haven't fought many Horde Battles. It's horrible.

I know that Nintendo have stated that regular 3DS games won't be receiving a graphical upgrade, but it is true that they haven't commented on the performance of games. I'm not sure if Pokémon XY will change, due to those games already being out and programmed for the original 3DS hardware, but I hope that GameFreak were at least given some time with the New 3DS so it could be fixed with ORAS.

Oh, I do horde battle. I do horde training for my Pokemon's EV. But never a lag.

What I'm pointing here is that, most of people said that the problem is with the game. I think, it's baseless, considering that most(maybe 80%? I don't know) of the performance while playing the game is with the console, not with the game. So I guess, let's say Gamefreak and Pokemon Company has fixed the lag issue internally, but if the console is not performing properly, then lag will always occur.

Or maybe(this is just a speculation), X/Y has the most advance 3D set up compare to other Nintendo games that even the 3DS cannot catch up. So I'm just thinking, if we do not want to experience a lag, then animation and 3D quality will be sacrifice with ORAS.

Or maybe, it is really with the console that you own and how you take care of it. Just saying.

Not all Horde battles lag. Try Trevenants one.

And the lag also means the dropping of frame rate, where the animations will get not as smooth as when the 3D is off.

Oh, I do horde battle. I do horde training for my Pokemon's EV. But never a lag.

What I'm pointing here is that, most of people said that the problem is with the game. I think, it's baseless, considering that most(maybe 80%? I don't know) of the performance while playing the game is with the console, not with the game. So I guess, let's say Gamefreak and Pokemon Company has fixed the lag issue internally, but if the console is not performing properly, then lag will always occur.

Or maybe(this is just a speculation), X/Y has the most advance 3D set up compare to other Nintendo games that even the 3DS cannot catch up. So I'm just thinking, if we do not want to experience a lag, then animation and 3D quality will be sacrifice with ORAS.

Or maybe, it is really with the console that you own and how you take care of it. Just saying.

Pokémon X and Y would most likely have been purposely built within the restraints of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, so it's likely that GameFreak consciously sacrificed frame rate and processing speed in order to go with the effects and visual look they wanted in the game. We'll know for sure when the New 3DS launches in Japan next month though, but I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.

Also, how could it be an issue with the particular console I own when so many people are commenting on the horrible lag the game has? I don't even know how I could manage to damage my system in a way that would make everything still work fine, but games run a tiny bit slower. That's how ridiculous the idea is xD.

Some eyes are much more sensitive to framerate dips than other--just something to keep in mind if you don't seem to notice any lag. But yeah, even with the 3D slider all the way down, XY tends to have a tough time with hordes battles, triple battles and weather conditions. The New 3DS should be able to run the game much better.

I hardly ever get any lag through Pokemon X, and I got my 3DS for Christmas in 2012. The only time I get a "slight" lag for a few moments when I'm battling on Nintendo wifi, and that is really rare. Other then that, my game runs smoothly 99.99% of the time. I don't need the new 3DS system since my current one is still working fine and going strong. Sometimes, it's the internet connection might cause the lag that some of you might be getting.

I hope this change may reduce lag. Drizzle Charizard-Y ALWAYS lags my console on triple battles.

I couldn't find any info, is 3DS XL hardware more powerful than "small" 3DS, or it's just the same with bigger screens?

There seems to be a slightly slower response for horde battles, but it's minor, and that's about it. For reference, I play with my 2DS, so no 3D effects at all.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom