• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New 3DS model announced: Battery life improved, screen 90% larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
New 3DS model announced: Battery life improved, screen 90% larger

An upgraded 3DS model has been announced, to be called the 3DS XL (3DS LL in Japan). It will be available on July 28 in Japan and August 19 in North America.

Read more on Bulbanews

I don't think I'm gonna get one and stick with buying a 3DS

Whoa, that's big. The adaptor not being sold with the console is really stupid though. Probably another money-grabbing ploy; watch it cost like £40 for it >.<

One thing I noticed, is the Start/Home/Select buttons. They are real buttons and actually distinguishable! Thats something that bugged me immensely on the normal 3DS. I wonder if these ones will let us toggle wifi on during gameplay, instead of making us return Home.

Whoa. What is that, a baby Wii U? No thank you. Sticking with my DS.

That 3DS looks uglaay. I think I'm going to buy a normal version instead. They are also cheaper ;)

Whoa, that's big. The adaptor not being sold with the console is really stupid though. Probably another money-grabbing ploy; watch it cost like £40 for it >.<

£40? It's compatible with the DSi/DSiXL/3DS charger and if you don't already have one they're like £3. If you wanna buy the charging cradle too (it's not exactly necessary) then a normal sized one would set you back £18, so I guess the XL would be a bit more. I won't end up getting the cradle and I'll just stick with my DSi XL plug.

I've been waiting for this ever since the 3DS was announced, now I can finally get one. Though I dunno if I'll get one straight away or wait a bit, depends on what offers are around. $199.99 (£128) is not bad, I hope the UK isn't too screwed over when it comes to exchange rates. Online retailers usually have pretty decent prices

Considering how I didn't buy one when it first came out, now's the time to get one! The matte finish, the roundness of it, and that sexy silver is proper swag. Better battery life is a good thing too, even if its just half an hour using everything.

I saw this thing and burst out laughing. Nintendo, you're going the wrong way. 3D and holographic gaming is all well and good in Scifi, and people love to say "wouldn't it be great to have that?", but in actuality, all we want is a normal 2D experience. The average gamer is more interested in the games than the gimmick, and I shall resist the 3DS line until it becomes impossible to. The DSi XL was already a bad idea, and to continue the trend makes it worse. I'd love to personally strangle the people coming up with these ideas. Even if it meant stagnating progress in gaming, it would still be better than the bad ideas nintendo is pumping out. The WiiU and 3DS are the beginning markers for the era of gaming I shall despise. I'm raised on the transitional period; gamecubes, PS2, Wii and GBAs and DSes. But what follows from it seems ridiculous.

So, to round off; I doubt such stupid ideas would 'take off' had it not been for tablets (bad ideas themselves, BTW) and their sudden domination of the games market. At this rate, I do dread the future of gaming. Times like this I wish to retreat to my fantasy/sci-fi world and live there. At least then I'd only have to put up with the occasional appearance of an evil maniac trying to take over the world instead of all this.

Edit: Also, once again the pricing is ridiculous.

Satoru Shibata (Nintendo Europe Head) has said that the reason why the charger is not bundled with the console in Japan and Europe is to reduce the cost to the consumer, as most of them will already have chargers from their DSi/XL/3DS consoles. They will be sold separately for people who don't (and I assume for no more than £10) and the charging cradle will be sold in a bundle with a charger for those who want one.

I just wish we knew the European price. The Japanese price converts to just over £150 if I remember correctly.

As for whether or not I want one. I'll probably pass. I thought the DSi XL was too big, but this is bigger xD. I have pondered the thought of purchasing a Japanese 3DS though, so if I do, I might consider one of these.

A comment by a user on another forum says, "Just call it a netbook Nintendo.". I'd have to agree with that.

I don't get why Nintendo aims for a bigger screen size. For me (and probably others), it hurts my eyes, and there's a LOT more to look at on a bigger scale than it being a "regular" screen size. The DSi XL and this 3DS XL will probably sell short of Nintendo's expectations.

I like how every handheld console that sells for size slightly fails in the back of my mind: Gameboy Micro, both of the 3DS's, Wonderswan...companies need to learn that we don't care for a change of size.

But that console does look sexy, compared to others P:

Satoru Shibata (Nintendo Europe Head) has said that the reason why the charger is not bundled with the console in Japan and Europe is to reduce the cost to the consumer, as most of them will already have chargers from their DSi/XL/3DS consoles. They will be sold separately for people who don't (and I assume for no more than £10) and the charging cradle will be sold in a bundle with a charger for those who want one.

I just wish we knew the European price. The Japanese price converts to just over £150 if I remember correctly.

As for whether or not I want one. I'll probably pass. I thought the DSi XL was too big, but this is bigger xD. I have pondered the thought of purchasing a Japanese 3DS though, so if I do, I might consider one of these.
Probably gonna be 200 euros. Hopefully 200 euros, otherwise I'm definitely gonna pass.

From what I've heard the 3D effect doesn't even work as well on bigger screens. But that's probably just a rumour.

The 3DS was as big as I'd go with a handheld console; I think the size is plain unnecessary with this and looks stupid, frankly, never mind how stylish the new design and shapes suddenly make the original 3DS look by comparison. It looks cheap and tasteless to me.

I think they're trying too hard to essentially re-sell what didn't work well enough for them the first time around, just with improvements that aren't even the ones people asked for to make it seem new.

1. I'm glad I didn't buy the 3ds at release date now....
2. Why isn't the circle pad there? This is going to be like the GB Micro and the wireless adapter/link cable.
3. Not including a charger is a dumb move in Japan. It's just as bad as printers and USB cables.

Honestly, I'm probably getting a Vita instead when I get the money.....it looks like it has more potental then the 3ds....

I enjoy the larger viewing space, that was one of the biggest transitions for me from the DSi XL to 3DS. It seems I'm the only one here who actually is excited about this.

Any word about this be pre-orderable at GameStop yet?

I thought Nintendo said there won't be any revised models for the 3DS?

799px-Gameboyline2.png

Nintendo, in the past, has released tons of successors to their handhelds and variations of the same thing, usually to improve or cut costs.

If Nintendo encourages people to carry around their 3DS for the pedometer, play coins, and Streetpass, that is one big, clunky thing to stuff in your bag or pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom