• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Alolan forms?

I started thinking about which Pokémon from Gen 2 are still open candidates for Alola Forms, so I made some lists.

To start, I find it unlikely that any Gen 2 Pokémon that were already in the Alola Dex in SM would gain Alola Forms, so that would cover:

- Ledyba / Ledian
- Spinarak / Ariados
- Chinchou / Lanturn
- Sudowoodo (also seen in USUM trailers so it's pretty much ruled out)
- Murkrow (also already seen in USUM trailers)
- Misdreavus
- Snubbull / Granbull
- Sneasel / Weavile
- Corsola (seen in USUM trailers)
- Delibird
- Skarmory
- Smeargle
- Miltank (seen in USUM trailers)
- Crobat
- Politoed
- Scizor
- Slowking
- Porygon 2
- Blissey

(I'm not counting Baby Pokémon here because all of the Johto babies evolve into Pokémon from Gen 1, but I guess for the sake of it, SM included Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Elekid, and Magby, and one of those already culminates in an Alola Form.)

Johtonian Pokemon that are already confirmed as part of the New Alola Dex without Alola Forms are:

- Houndour / Houndoom
- Heracross
- Mareep / Flaaffy / Ampharos
- Larvitar / Pupitar / Tyranitar
- Mantine

If my assumptions about them not giving Alola Forms to Gen 2 Pokémon that were already in SM's Dex is correct, then all that leaves for possibilities are:

- The Starters (Ain't happening)
- Sentret / Furret
- Hoothoot / Noctowl
- Togepi / Togetic / Togekiss
- Natu / Xatu
- Bellossom (But let's be honest, it's already an Alola Form in all but name)
- Marill / Azumarill
- Hoppip / Skiploom / Jumpluff
- Aipom / Ambipom
- Sunkern / Sunflora (If they can make Meme Exeggutor with the tropical island setting, surely they can work their magic here by following the same logic? Sunflora's uselessness is just begging for some kind of meta joke.)
- Yanma / Yanmega
- Wooper / Quagsire
- Unown (Fat chance lol)
- Wobbuffet
- Girafarig
- Pineco / Forretress
- Dunsparce
- Gligar / Gliscor
- Steelix
- Qwilfish
- Shuckle
- Teddiursa / Ursaring
- Slugma / Magcargo
- Swinub / Piloswine / Mamoswine
- Remoraid / Octillery (@Tuoko made a good point in another thread; Mantine is in the Dex so Remoraid probably has to be as well, so I wonder if that decreases its Alola Form chances)
- Kingdra
- Phanpy / Donphan
- Stantler
- Tyrogue / Hitmontop
- Smoochum
- Raikou, Entei, Suicune (Nope)
- Lugia and Ho-Oh (No way)
- Celebi (As if)

So, some good options still remain. Of course, several of them are cross-gen lines, and we don't know if that's any kind of a factor in their decision process (assuming there is one). On top of that, Steelix has a Mega Evolution, and all of the other Gen 2 Pokémon with Megas already fall into the either confirmed or probably Not-Getting-Alola-Forms category. The Starters, Marill, Swinub, and Togepi all appeared in SM as well, but through Island Scan rather than being part of the Regional Pokédex, so those forms were still explicitly foreign to the region.

Last edited:
It's almost certainly just me overthinking things, and I highly, highly doubt this is anything more than a coincidence, but...

Barring Mantine, out of all the Johto Pokemon we know will be added to the Pokedex, all of them have Mega Evolutions, and thus would presumably be ineligible for Alola Forms. None of the really obvious/highly speculated candidates like Bellossom, Phanpy, Stantler, or Hoppip have actually been ruled out yet; in fact there's still a very large pool for potential Alola Forms to draw from.

However, given that we only know about a very small sample size of what will be added to USM, I think it's more likely that this is just a coincidence. I believe Alola Forms are by no means ruled out, but having them not be announced this week of all weeks decreases the odds a lot.

Last edited:
It's almost certainly just me overthinking things, and I highly, highly doubt this is anything more than a coincidence, but...

Barring Mantine, out of all the Johto Pokemon we know will be added to the Pokedex, all of them have Mega Evolutions, and thus would presumably be ineligible for Alola Forms. None of the really obvious/highly speculated candidates like Bellossom, Phanpy, Stantler, or Hoppip have actually been ruled out yet; in fact there's still a very large pool for potential Alola Forms to draw from.

However, given that we have a very small sample size of what will be added to USM, I think it's more likely that this is just a coincidence. I believe Alola Forms are by no means ruled out, but having them not be announced this week of all weeks decreases the odds a lot.
mantine is "presumably" illegible for an alolan form due to having a cross-gen prevo as well I guess :p I mean, my hopes definitely died a bit when I saw the lack of alolan forms today when it was the perfect time but, I will hold out until october

But, let's be honest, even kanto alolan forms werent revealed right at the same time as kanto VC so it's still possible they're holding johto ones for the final october reveal

Well, Cubone didn't get an Alolan form, but Marowak did, so it might not stop Mantine from getting one!
That's true I guess, but it isn't getting one so wellp
It ain't over 'till it's over boys and girls, hope is last to perish

Out of what I think are the possible candidates, the ones I'd like to see most would be:

- Marill / Azumarill
- Slugma / Magcargo
- Sunflora
- Hoothoot / Noctowl
- Shuckle
- Phanpy / Donphan
- Pineco / Forretress

Also like I said, it's never going to happen, but I think it'd be super-ballsy to give the Legendary Beasts some Alola Forms, and they could look really cool.

It probably seems like I should want one for Dunsparce given that I'm like it's biggest fan, but honestly, the little guy is perfect as-is (if anything, I think a Mega Evolution would be more suitable, but we're not going to see those again for a while).

And I would still love to see Alola Forms for some other Gen 1 Pokémon like Dewgong, Rapidash, and Electrode (beach ball!).

I'm really only hoping for Sunflora (Grass/Fire), Magcargo (Water/Steel), Octillery (Electric/Poison) and Noctowl (Ice/Flying). I'm not optimistic that we're getting any variants, though.

I see where the others are coming from but what about Octillery? I like the idea for its type combo and am wondering what the story could be.

It's a total pipe dream in all honesty, since it's A) in the Alola Pokédex and B) a Gen III Pokémon, but I'd love a Bug/Ice Masquerain. Take way 10 points from its Attack and 20 from its Sp. Defense and add those 30 points to its Speed so a Modest nature is viable, give it some nice Ice-type moves like Freeze-Dry, and boom. You got a Bug/Ice-type that could at least be RU. Bonus points if you give it Dazzling as its HA to screw with priority moves so it won't get OHKO'd by Accelerock or Bullet Punch.

I mean, Stealth Rock would cripple it, but Volcarona's WTFpwned by Stealth Rock and has never fallen below BL, so.

Last edited:
It's a total pipe dream in all honesty, since it's A) in the Alola Pokédex and B) a Gen III Pokémon, but I'd love a Bug/Ice Masquerain. Take way 10 points from its Attack and 20 from its Sp. Defense and add those 30 points to its Speed so a Modest nature is viable, give it some nice Ice-type moves like Freeze-Dry, and boom. You got a Bug/Ice-type that could at least be RU. Bonus points if you give it Dazzling as its HA to screw with priority moves so it won't get OHKO'd by Accelerock or Bullet Punch.

I mean, Stealth Rock would cripple it, but Volcarona's WTFpwned by Stealth Rock and has never fallen below BL, so.
ice/bug Masquerain....don't play with my heart :( ...now I irrationally want this

I see where the others are coming from but what about Octillery? I like the idea for its type combo and am wondering what the story could be.

A blue-ringed octopus (Poison) that's adapted to prey on things like Mareanie/Toxapex (Electric) (and other Water-types like Finneon line, maybe Krabby, Clauncher etc if they are added in).

As much as I like the Mareanie line, I'd like to see them become the lunch this time, with an Alolan form that's adapted to beating them. It could even have Corrosion.

Also an Electric octopus just sounds cool to me.

Watch as Game Freak adds new Johto Alolan Forms at the last minute like they did with trials.

Watch as Game Freak adds new Johto Alolan Forms at the last minute like they did with trials.
as long as they add them, dont care ..thats easier to add than an entirely new thing to replace gyms.. imean you just recolor existing pokemon and give them a few tweaks/new typing/stat distribution/movepool and done

In the immortal words of (abridged) Prince Vegeta "Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known until I received it." Can I add the fanatical idea of Ice/Bug Masquerain to the others? (Electric/Dark Luxray and Bug/Dragon Yanmega/Flygon)

mantine is "presumably" illegible for an alolan form due to having a cross-gen prevo as well I guess

Nope. Raichu got an Alolan form. Pichu, a Gen 2 Pokemon, starts off the entire line.

If my assumptions about them not giving Alola Forms to Gen 2 Pokémon that were already in SM's Dex is correct, then all that leaves for possibilities are:

- The Starters (Ain't happening)
- Sentret / Furret
- Hoothoot / Noctowl
- Togepi / Togetic / Togekiss
- Natu / Xatu
- Bellossom (But let's be honest, it's already an Alola Form in all but name)
- Marill / Azumarill
- Hoppip / Skiploom / Jumpluff
- Aipom / Ambipom
- Sunkern / Sunflora (If they can make Meme Exeggutor with the tropical island setting, surely they can work their magic here by following the same logic? Sunflora's uselessness is just begging for some kind of meta joke.)
- Yanma / Yanmega
- Wooper / Quagsire
- Unown (Fat chance lol)
- Wobbuffet
- Girafarig
- Pineco / Forretress
- Dunsparce
- Gligar / Gliscor
- Steelix
- Qwilfish
- Shuckle
- Teddiursa / Ursaring
- Slugma / Magcargo
- Swinub / Piloswine / Mamoswine
- Remoraid / Octillery (@Tuoko made a good point in another thread; Mantine is in the Dex so Remoraid probably has to be as well, so I wonder if that decreases its Alola Form chances)
- Kingdra
- Phanpy / Donphan
- Stantler
- Tyrogue / Hitmontop
- Smoochum
- Raikou, Entei, Suicune (Nope)
- Lugia and Ho-Oh (No way)
- Celebi (As if)

So, some good options still remain. Of course, several of them are cross-gen lines, and we don't know if that's any kind of a factor in their decision process (assuming there is one). On top of that, Steelix has a Mega Evolution, and all of the other Gen 2 Pokémon with Megas already fall into the either confirmed or probably Not-Getting-Alola-Forms category. The Starters, Marill, Swinub, and Togepi all appeared in SM as well, but through Island Scan rather than being part of the Regional Pokédex, so those forms were still explicitly foreign to the region.

It's worth noting the starters, Marill/Azumarill, Swinub line, and Kingdra (as Horsea) are available in SM via Island Scan.

Aside from that, I'd like to see the following happening

- Hoothoot / Noctowl
- Sunflora
- Wooper / Quagsire
- Wobbuffet
- Slugma / Magcargo
- Phanpy / Donphan

Though I would also like Marill and/or Azumarill to gain one too, but I'm not sure if Island Scan would stop it.

i will like to see alola form for teddiursa and ursaring.
dark type , but keep guts and quick feet

Nah, I actually came in here to say that because that popped into my head last night---outside Mantine which has a whole mini-game dedicated to it and isn't necessarily showing off the expanded Alola Dex I thought the choice of Johto Pokemon in the trailer was somewhat suspicious.

I agree that Pokemon that have already appeared in the dex won’t get Alolan forms so here’s what I think:
- Hoothoot / Noctowl
- Natu / Xatu
- Girafarig
- Shuckle
- Stantler
- Wooper / Quagsire; Pineco / Forretress (I’m not sure what they can do with it though)

Just for fun, these are Pokemon that I think are more likely to get Z-moves as opposed to Alolan forms:
- Starters
- Dunsparce
- Sunkern / Sunflora (With Exeggutor there is actually some sort of basis for the Alolan forms since coconut trees in Hawaii are ridiculously tall. IDK if there’s anything different about sunflowers in Hawaii. They’re getting a Z-move at best…)
- Bellossom (It is already so Alola… It could do with a Z-move that it can share with Vileplume)
- Tyrogue / Hitmontop (Another form would make this line very busy… It could do with a Z-move that it can share with the other Hitmons)
- Raikou, Entei, Suicune
- Lugia and Ho-Oh
- Celebi

Probably nothing:
- Togepi / Togetic / Togekiss; Azurill / Marill / Azumarill (Got updated in Gen 4 and both also got updated to the fairy type so they’re pretty fresh imo. They are however popular so they may get a Z-move…)
- Hoppip / Skiploom / Jumpluff ; Qwilfish ; Teddiursa / Ursaring; Slugma / Magcargo ; Phanpy / Donphan ; (They all seem like they can survive in Alola as is or are pretty decent in their own right)
- Kingdra (Seems more like a candidate for a Mega)

Pretty sure they’re getting nothing:
- Sentret / Furret (I think an Alolan form would make it too similar to Gumshoos)
- Aipom / Ambipom; Yanma / Yanmega; Gligar / Gliscor; Swinub / Piloswine / Mamoswine (Got updated in Gen 4)
- Wynaut / Wobbuffet (Got updated in Gen 4 and too iconic)
- Unown (Too iconic)
- Steelix (Already has a Mega)
- Smoochum (I love her but probably blacklisted because of Jynx, otherwise seems more like a candidate for a Mega)
- Remoraid / Octillery (Mantine remains the same so they are prob remaining the same too)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom