• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Alolan forms?

I feel like it's a tiny bit in need of a psychic aspect but i can't quite put my finger on it...

Otherwise, pretty ice owl

It was difficult to add some more aspects to it when the original is quite simple... and i didn’t want this to look overdesigned compared to our regular Noctowl.
The yellow trident and red eye-details are meant to be centres of its psychic energy, hence they clash with the cooler colour palette.
I was using the changes between Ninetales and it’s Alola Form as a reference to come up with a plausible design.

It was difficult to add some more aspects to it when the original is quite simple... and i didn’t want this to look overdesigned compared to our regular Noctowl.
The yellow trident and red eye-details are meant to be centres of its psychic energy, hence they clash with the cooler colour palette.
I was using the changes between Ninetales and it’s Alola Form as a reference to come up with a plausible design.
I feel like 3 pale blue alolan ice types would be too much even for GF :p what other color would suit an ice/psychic owl?

Is the stuff around the neck a feather collar? What do the feathers on the wings look like compared to reg noctowl? (Asking in case I'd wanna do fanart of your fanart XD)

On a side note, I think this is a nice example of what one would possibly look like..Sadly, as much as i'd want an ice/psychic owl, I don't see Noctowl going psychic if it will keep being a regular owl with the physique of one that has perfectly good wings etc, so maybe ice/flying is a more possible thing it could become
united_noctowl_by_diegoguilherme-davodah.png

Last edited:
Is the stuff around the neck a feather collar? What do the feathers on the wings look like compared to reg noctowl? (Asking in case I'd wanna do fanart of your fanart XD)

Yes, it’s a feather collar to reflect this Noctowl's high-and-mighty-ness.
The feathers supposed to be fluffy, and mostly intended to keep Noctowl warm in the winter, but it can fly with them occasionally And I wanted this owl to be SUPER cuddly

Also that Fanart you linked seems to completely miss the psychic aspect. It seems Ice/Flying to me.

Yes, it’s a feather collar to reflect this Noctowl's high-and-mighty-ness.
The feathers supposed to be fluffy, and mostly intended to keep Noctowl warm in the winter, but it can fly with them occasionally And I wanted this owl to be SUPER cuddly

Also that Fanart you linked seems to completely miss the psychic aspect. It seems Ice/Flying to me.
Yeap, I edited my previous post to include the fact that i see GF making an ice/flying alolan owl more than I see them making it psychic/ice because it, by design, is not like decidueye who becomes a big humanoid owl and hence it's plausible that it loses the flying type. Noctowl's just a plain cute owlie and it's more likely to not lose its flying type because it has perfectly good wings to use and it would not make much sense without radically changing the design which won't happen for an alolan form

All that said, I'd rather have ice/psychic too, i just don't think it will really happen :(

Ice/Psychic Noctowl served two purposes for me-
1. Give Noctowl Psychic type which it deserves.
2. Make it a reference to Harry Potter.

And it's possible that Noctowl flies yet dosen’t have the flying type. *glances at Beedrill, Venomoth, Mega Charizard X, Decidueye*

Noctowl's wings now serve a purpose of keeping the Pokemon warm and flying occasionally. It can easily burrow in the ground.
Just my two cents. :)

Ice/Psychic Noctowl served two purposes for me-
1. Give Noctowl Psychic type which it deserves.
2. Make it a reference to Harry Potter.

And it's possible that Noctowl flies yet dosen’t have the flying type. *glances at Beedrill, Venomoth, Mega Charizard X, Decidueye*

Noctowl's wings now serve a purpose of keeping the Pokemon warm and flying occasionally. It can easily burrow in the ground.
Just my two cents. :)
I gave my 2 cents on decidueye (it's a big humanoid owl who can fly but is no longer defined by that because it's easy to ignore it even has wings due to its design), but the other examples aren't ...uh..birds, i guess? Their primary base is bugs/lizards. I think it makes more sense for them to somehow lose the flying type because it doesn't define them...whereas, what defines a regular bird more than flying? If Noctowl had a more elaborate design, it'd be more plausible imo.

Then again, with GF, anything's possible. Noctowl at the very least deserves the psychic type indeed, whether it's gonna be ice/psychic or merely flying/psychic, doesn't matter, just give it psychic

now I hope that in future regions we get maybe a rock/fighting pokemon form of something, thinking of it could they make diffrent geodude rock/fighting , muk(poison/steel or poison/electric) and ratata(ice) forms for other regions too?

or do you think they will use other pokemon from other generations for that purpose?
we had some poison dual lines that also would deserve more.

We got one month left till the release of USUM, and still no Alolan formes, announced, I hope we get lucky in October's Corocoro, or when they release a unexpected trailer, If not we need to call it quits on Alolan Formes.

I think the ship's kind of sailed on Alola forms, if there were any we'd probably have seen them by now. Usually new forms get coverage throughout the pre-release so if they were going to reveal them, it would've made more sense to reveal them fairly early. Instead, they're choosing to promote Dusk Lycanroc, Necrozma, new UBs, and Z-Moves. I don't see it happening next month because the last month is usually spent focusing on new features or story related things, we're probably just not getting new ones period.

It is not impossible, but revealing them now would feel like an afterthought.

That said, it is beyond me why they wouldn't add new ones. They would be more marketable than those two new UBs, which are the biggest thing these games have going for them. And that's sad.

It is not impossible, but revealing them now would feel like an afterthought.

That said, it is beyond me why they wouldn't add new ones. They would be more marketable than those two new UBs, which are the biggest thing these games have going for them. And that's sad.
They are probably putting most of their efforts on the Switch game due to pressure from Nintendo, so they likely wouldn't have much time to add a lot of things for USUM. If that's the case, then Game Freak should have just went with DLC instead.

I think the ship's kind of sailed on Alola forms, if there were any we'd probably have seen them by now. Usually new forms get coverage throughout the pre-release so if they were going to reveal them, it would've made more sense to reveal them fairly early. Instead, they're choosing to promote Dusk Lycanroc, Necrozma, new UBs, and Z-Moves. I don't see it happening next month because the last month is usually spent focusing on new features or story related things, we're probably just not getting new ones period.
It makes me wonder if Johto will get anything at all besides a pre-order Celebi distribution. If there's no Alolan Forms, would they at least get some Z-Moves? From the looks of things, it doesn't seem like Game Freak is bothering all that much with Gen 2 in regards to giving the Pokémon themselves something just to cut them a break. I sure hope that the Virtual Console GS release is point to something in the Switch games, because it doesn't seem like Game Freak's willing to give Johto any love this generation. :(

It makes me wonder if Johto will get anything at all besides a pre-order Celebi distribution. If there's no Alolan Forms, would they at least get some Z-Moves? From the looks of things, it doesn't seem like Game Freak is bothering all that much with Gen 2 in regards to giving the Pokémon themselves something just to cut them a break. I sure hope that the Virtual Console GS release is point to something in the Switch games, because it doesn't seem like Game Freak's willing to give Johto any love this generation. :(

I would guess no. I think they just see GS VC as an opportunity to make a quick buck off a previous game with minimal effort, much like with USUM itself. I think Gen 1 just gets a lot of focus because it's the most popular because of nostalgia, they don't seem to think Gen 2 is popular enough to be associated with it.

With the new trailers, it looks like a zero percent chance of any new Alolan formes, I'm not expecting it a corocoro though.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom