• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Alolan forms?

This is less about new Alolan forms and more about one point about the concept that has always bothered me. I personally feel that the standard Pokémon originating from outside Gen VII shouldn't be evolving into their Alolan counterparts.

Think about it, why should this one Pikachu/Cubone/Exeggcute who's been born and raised in a region like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, or Kalos suddenly become Alolan Raichu/Marowak/Exeggutor just because the evolution happened in Alola? I don't understand why when they haven't grown up in the region or been forced to adapt to the the same selective pressures as their cousins.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel like it takes a big dump over the real world phenomena if you ask me and I hope USUM fixes this.

I think those factors might have some excuse:

• Pikachu: No I do not mean Pancakes. (though Lumiose Trainer Zac does have a theory on how is related). Pikachu evolves from exposure to a Thunder Stone, and the Ultimate Weapon proves that those could be mutated. Maybe the Ultra Wormhole energy had a similar but smaller scale effect?
  • Exeggcute: In this case, it is attributed to Alola having the least amount of hindrances to Photosynthesis compared to other regions, apparently. And that the Exeggcutor found elsewhere are the actual mutants, not the other way around as is the case for other variants
    • Of Note that Kanto had a poison-type pokemon themed around smog. Which means that Koffing and Wheezing might be the reason why Exeggcutor developed a Psychic-type instead of a Dragon type as wella s their more stocky build. The smog pokemon might have cuased froms from both type advantages and blockign enough of the sun to hunder the Exeggcute's growth, stunting their development to an extent. The Psychic-type would then be developed as an adaptation so that they could be able to fight against the Smog pokemon (and the loss of the Dragon-type could be retroactively attributed to pokemon like Clefairy and Jiggilypuff).
  • Cubone: I got nothing apart from the meta reason (a reference to the deceased Marowak in Lavender Town). Unless you want to posit they picked up bones inbued with supernatural power found only in Alola to evolve.

Last edited:
I feel like GF would have at least teased one at this point if we were getting new a-forms.

What exactly does "teasing" a new Alola Form look like? They don't really "tease" stuff ahead of properly revealing it unless it's a major feature, or something for an event distribution. I guess my memory could be foggy but during the lead-up to ORAS, I don't recall them ever "teasing" an upcoming Mega Evolution reveal so much as just revealing them outright at semiregular intervals as part of the normal news cycle.

And this is only the first big news package for USUM... the first is always fairly small and vague compared to the ones that come after.

I really don't think we're getting any new Alola forms. I feel like GF would have at least teased one at this point if we were getting new a-forms.

I'm sure we will get some new ones. Game Freak always does things for a reason, hence releasing gold and silver (though I'm pissed they aren't releasing crystal) on the VC.

are we getting new alolan forms? Or will we not get any? Previously, if asked that question, I would answer the former without hesitation. But the lack of any news on them whatsoever is making me worried, and I'm still excited to play ultra moon regardless, but like....I swear, if there's no new alolan forms, I'm gonna be pissed. They better not miss another opportunity.

alolan forms >>> z-moves

(though I am happy to see kommo-o thrown a bone, it's no hydreigon but it's otherwise the only fully evolved pseudo I can tolerate, besides maybe tyranitar and regular metagross)

are we getting new alolan forms? Or will we not get any? Previously, if asked that question, I would answer the former without hesitation. But the lack of any news on them whatsoever is making me worried, and I'm still excited to play ultra moon regardless, but like....I swear, if there's no new alolan forms, I'm gonna be pissed. They better not miss another opportunity.

alolan forms >>> z-moves

(though I am happy to see kommo-o thrown a bone, it's no hydreigon but it's otherwise the only fully evolved pseudo I can tolerate, besides maybe tyranitar and regular metagross)
Well, the answer to that question is: maybe.

It can go either way tbh. That they didn't show an alolan form at worlds doesn't mean much, because worlds has historically shown off the main gimmicks of the current upcoming titles(or new pokemon if it's a new gen). For Alola, the gimmick is z-moves, sadly. So where megas were the gimmick for XY and ORAS, they showed new pokemon for the new gen, and a mega for ORAS. For SM, they showed a new pokemon, and for USUM, a z move- the main gimmick.

There are still months to go until release, we can still get some form of information about Alolan forms, they can even keep it a surprise for all we know. I won't give up hope until I have to, at least :p

Alolan Shuckle-Bug/Grass
Its shell is a coconut
unless they completely change the very core of what shuckle stands for, it's probably not getting an alolan form, and definitely not one that has 2 4x weaknesses

what if Pawniard and its evo would get ice/steel forms instead of dark/steel?

Interesting but it'll need to be better than Alolan Sandslash, who shares the Ice/Steel typing. Bisharp loves Defiant so hopefully an Alolan form doesn't lose it.
I'd be down with that. I love Bisharp, so I'd be very happy if it got an Alolan form.

Honestly, I'd be happy if anything from Unova got an Alolan form at this point. :(

Bearing in mind the GS VC releases, I'm somewhat confident that we'll see some Gen II Pokémon get Alolan forms in USUM. I perceived the Gen I releases as GF providing a way to get the old forms into SM so that's how I've come to the conclusion.
Any other generations? I'd like to see that, but it's more doubtful.

Do we have any idea of what Johto Alolan forms are the most likely ? Given ORAS gave us less megas than XY it's likely we will get less new Alolan forms this time round yeah ?

Do we have any idea of what Johto Alolan forms are the most likely ? Given ORAS gave us less megas than XY it's likely we will get less new Alolan forms this time round yeah ?
I think the, Teddiursa, Sunkern, Hoothoot and Hoppip lines are likely. Maybe Mantine as well, especially considering Hawaii is home to a huge Manta ray population in real life.

I think Johto Pokemon not already found in Alola would be the most likely.

What I think is likely is Noctowl (Ice & Psychic), Xatu (Fairy & Flying), Qwilfish (Poison), Shuckle (Steel), Magcargo (Water & Ground) and Stantler (Psychic & Dark).

Not sure about Teddiursa since there are no bears in Hawaii.

Maybe Mantine as well, especially considering Hawaii is home to a huge Manta ray population in real life.

Wouldn't that be a reason for it to not have a form? I do think they should add it to the Alolan pokedex though.

Im not sure if its possible

if he brings a Pokemon to the Aloha region I don't think it will evolve into a aloha form

the only Pokemon will be Exeggcute

Ash brought a vulpine egg from Kanto that didnt change its egg form to Allah form egg

Also if he did it might be Dunsprace since he tired to catch it twice in Unova region and Klaos region maybe he could catch one but I don see the reason why is he catching it they don't seem that strong

maybe they have secretly evolution form for Allah region

To be fair, Koalas and Oragutans aren't found in Hawaii either.
I am fairly sure pokemon has no written in stone rules about what animals they put in each region. Sure, they try to match the overall theme and put some neat consistencies with the real life location, but it's illegal to bring snakes in Hawaii as well and yet we have a Zygarde and we can find Serperior with island scan.

I've had a pretty stupid theory that some pokemon they put int he current gen region are a subtle hint towards the next gen's region, but it's often hard to distinguish which ones

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom