• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New and Creative moveset thread

I really liked the control aspect of Sub/Disable Gengar, so I looked into other viable options for the 2 moves. And while it doesnt nearly have the speed, Kecleon is an excellent special wall and with Color Change it screws over any choiced pokemon not locked into a dragon move. Ive been considering more bulk investment, but I still want this set to hit hard. Hopefully this hasnt been posted before. Ive tested the set on Pokemon Online with fairly good results.

Kecleon
Adamant
Item: Leftovers
252 hp, 200 atk, 52 spec def

Disable
Substitute
Focus Punch
Shadow Claw

On a side note, when the opponent breaks my sub with a fighting move as I go for Focus Punch is one of the greatest things ever

How about this new set?

"Trick Room Sweeper"
534.gif

Moves: Subsitude, Focus Punch, Drain Punch, ???
Ability: Guts or Iron Fist
Item: Iron Ball
Nature: Brave or Relaxed
EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP

I'm not sure with the EVs, Item, or Ability, but I know for sure that Conkeldurr could be a MONSTER on Trick Room teams.

Stone Edge could fill the last move since Rock and Fighting has quite a good coverage. For EVs, though, if I had a Conkeldurr, I would give it 252 Attack/HP since HP is generally better than Defence or Sp. Defence. Iron Ball isn't very useful, considering Conkeldurr is naturally slow. I would suggest Flame Orb to activate Guts or Leftovers just to heal off the damage you're dealing. Life Orb could also be an option, though.

Here is an umbreon moveset I have been thinking of using. It is mostly stall but it has a mono attack move which could potentially dish out a ton of damage to anything that doesn't resist it if I can set curse up.

Moves: payback, curse, toxic, double team/confuse ray
Ability: synchronize
Item: possibly leftovers
Nature: relaxed or impish

EV Spread: I dunno how to put this in numbers but I would max out attack and defence

Even with a high Defence stat, Umbreon isn't really going to be stalling anything out due to its lack of recovery moves, even if it is able to boost its stats. You'd be constantly forced into switching due to the high number of powerful Fighting-type attacks that have become popular recently, and most likely not get a chance to do anything. The damage dealt out by Payback would be pitiful, even with a couple of boosts under your belt, and, as is the case with any sets like this, critical hits do happen, and they will ruin you.

I really liked the control aspect of Sub/Disable Gengar, so I looked into other viable options for the 2 moves. And while it doesnt nearly have the speed, Kecleon is an excellent special wall and with Color Change it screws over any choiced pokemon not locked into a dragon move. Ive been considering more bulk investment, but I still want this set to hit hard. Hopefully this hasnt been posted before. Ive tested the set on Pokemon Online with fairly good results.

That's an understatement. Being slower than almost everything including slow defensive Pokemon is quite different than outspeeding a significant portion of the unboosted metagame.

That being said,

low speed + poor defensive typing = bad pokemon, most of the time in the higher tiers

Last edited:
That's an understatement. Being slower than almost everything, including slow defensive Pokemon, is quite different than outspeeding a significant portion of the unboosted metagame.

That being said,

low speed + poor defensive typing = bad pokemon, most of the time in the higher tiers

Oh of course, I wouldnt try ot use this competitively, its more for fun, and I figure it succeds more due to suprise factor than anything.

So I was thinking of making a sub punching miltank, probably all not that creative and I know it can be outclassed but whatever.

Miltank @ leftovers
Adamant 20 HP/252 atk/ 236 spe (or defense? I'm not sure provide me with thoughts)
Scrappy
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Milk Drink
-Body Slam/heal bell.

As you can see I'm not sure about the final ev's I'm leaning towards speed, but obviously defense makes her substitutes a bit more durable. Scrappy lets focus punch hit ghosts with impunity, as well as body slam if I go for it. For the last moveslot I'm debating, body slam is good stab, particularly with scrappy, and the paralysis chance is definitely a draw, however heal bell is a good support move to cleanse my team of status. But I'm leaning towards body slam, relying on focus punch as the only attack probably isn't good policy and heal bell is more suited on a support set. thoughts?

Here is an idea I have being fostering (it might not be very good, but hey). You don't hear about Venemoth in this modern world, do you? Despite Yanmega only having five more base speed points? Well, here is a new idea:

EV Spread: 252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Special Defence
Nature: Timid or Jolly
Ability: Wonder Skin (or, if inaccessible, Shield Dust)
Item: Eject Button
Moves: Protect, Toxic, Stun Spore, U-Turn

As you can see, this is meant to be an annoyer. The key trick here is to use Venemoth's speed to combine with U-Turn to stun, and then leave as quickly as possible while anticipating the opponent's next move. Use Stun Spore and Toxic as the stat moves, and use Protect to build up Toxic damage. It might just work.

So I was thinking of making a sub punching miltank, probably all not that creative and I know it can be outclassed but whatever.

Miltank @ leftovers
Adamant 20 HP/252 atk/ 236 spe (or defense? I'm not sure provide me with thoughts)
Scrappy
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Milk Drink
-Body Slam/heal bell.

As you can see I'm not sure about the final ev's I'm leaning towards speed, but obviously defense makes her substitutes a bit more durable. Scrappy lets focus punch hit ghosts with impunity, as well as body slam if I go for it. For the last moveslot I'm debating, body slam is good stab, particularly with scrappy, and the paralysis chance is definitely a draw, however heal bell is a good support move to cleanse my team of status. But I'm leaning towards body slam, relying on focus punch as the only attack probably isn't good policy and heal bell is more suited on a support set. thoughts?

I'd add more HP EVs over Speed considering Focus Punch doesn't require speed and will probably be used a lot; and Miltank can be bulky enough to make this work. Scrappy is really the thing that could make this have potential, but Kangaskhan can pull this exact same set minus recovery but with Sucker Punch, so it mightn't be great.

Here is an idea I have being fostering (it might not be very good, but hey). You don't hear about Venemoth in this modern world, do you? Despite Yanmega only having five more base speed points? Well, here is a new idea:

EV Spread: 252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Special Defence
Nature: Timid or Jolly
Ability: Wonder Skin (or, if inaccessible, Shield Dust)
Item: Eject Button
Moves: Protect, Toxic, Stun Spore, U-Turn

As you can see, this is meant to be an annoyer. The key trick here is to use Venemoth's speed to combine with U-Turn to stun, and then leave as quickly as possible while anticipating the opponent's next move. Use Stun Spore and Toxic as the stat moves, and use Protect to build up Toxic damage. It might just work.

Nah, I don't think it'd work as well as you think. It doesn't have any bulk at all no matter how you invest the EVs, and it would be a fairly bad Toxistaller compared to bulky Pokemon. Venemoth pretty much always needs a Sash, but may be somewhat redundant if it's to be used as a scout with U-turn and taking 25% every time it comes in.

Venemoth's real niche lies in QD Baton Passing and can be really amazing at it, but not too good at much else unfortunately. Its defenses, offensive powers and speed are all average. Still, props for using the Moth.

Yeah I did some rethinking and realized speed isn't necessary with focus punch's mechanics, kangaskhan does generally outclass it, but I like miltanks access to instant recovery.

I use a Fire/Water/Grass core in my Battle Tower team and I was thinking that it would be good to have an extra Grass resist for Gastrodon (my Fire mon is Typhlosion). Then I impulsively thought that a Sap Sipper 'mon would do well! What has Sap Sipper that can go physical?

Girafarig @Life Orb
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Zen Headbutt
-Crunch
-Double Kick
-Earthquake

Zen Headbutt for STAB, Crunch to handle Ghosts and enemy Psychics, Double Kick for Fighting-types, Rocks, and Steels, and Earthquake for a general powerful move and to hit stuff like Skuntank/Drapion.

I wouldn't recommend this for competitive use, though you might get some use out of it in-game or in casual battles with other people. And before you mention, yes, I am indeed aware that Miltank outclasses Girafarig. I might use it in the Battle Tower after I test out a properly-trained Swords Dance Ludicolo and a DDHax. (really, I just want something with a Grass move for Quag/Gastrodon/Swampert and other such things, and maybe a physical fighting move. Breloom has that, but I kept getting screwed over by Skarmory.)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom