• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New and old: moves and abilities? buffs, nerfs, adding to the movesets?

Liquid Voice's only real benefit to Primarina is giving it a Water type spread move that doesn't hit teammates (Hyper Voice), a benefit which is completely meaningless to myself and everyone else who don't give a flip about Doubles. It needs a really good buff if I'm to be using it over Torrent.

Actually it's biggest benefit is in water type based perish songs, so that team mates immune to water via water absorb and storm drain will be immune to the effects of perish song. Running Hyper Voice is also nice here also since you can bypass substitute and have your team mates safe at the same time. But that itself is exclusive to doubles being somewhat situational.

It's fairly useless for singles. Shame there's no power increase for the ability. Could be much worse I guess lol

Illuminate should be buffed to work like Intimidate. When a Pokemon with Illuminate is sent out, the opponents accuracy is lowered by one stage (due to a bright flashing light).

It still retains it other effect of increasing encounters too.

I love this idea. Nothing really powerful gets Illuminate, so I think it'd be perfect.

There's a reason why every Pokemon that gets Extremespeed

what about Slaking and Wishi Washi?if they could get it? taking their abilities and speed.

though about new abilities for starters:

Primarina: Singer- works like dancer but copies enemies sound moves.

Incineroar: Wrestler- the pokemon gains resistance and stab for fighting type moves
Heel Wrestler- the pokemon gains fighting stab
Extreem Wrestling- fighting type moves of user get always priority.

Deciduey: Long Coat- allows the user to avoid(block) the first "contact" move it gets hit by oponent.(works once on field, reboots when switched out-in)

new rock type sound ability- Sonic Cave- this ability makes the user resist to sound moves and (copies)sends them back to the oponent in the start of the next turn.(for a slow rock type)

its too similar to Pick Pocket.

Sticky hold should work more suction cups and prevent switching too, for me it even could give a immunity to switching moves.

Vital Spirit should get damage when on electric terrain, becuse of to much not sleeping.
If hit by a sleeping move, the pokemon with vital spirit could get a speed rise +1.

Last edited:
what about Slaking and Entertaiment or skill swap ?
make truant go to next pokemon.
it moves every second turn, two or even 3 turns would be lost or not couting the use of the move?
I know slack off is good but this way it would be fun to try.

here's all my ideal buffs
-Venusaur now learns Rock Slide via TM
-Butterfree now learns Hurricane
-Alola Raichu now learns Electric Terrain (via level-up), Surf and Dazzling Gleam (both via TM)
-Alola Sandslash now learns Ice Shard
-Nidoqueen now learns Gunk Shot
-Nidoking now learns Gunk Shot and Crunch
-Clefable now learns Tailwind
-Wigglytuff now learns Tailwind, Belly Drum, and Boomburst
-Poliwrath now learns Liquidation, Superpower and Drain Punch
-Machamp now learns Mach Punch
-Electivire now learns Power-Up Punch, Drain Punch, Superpower and Bulk Up as well as gaining the Iron Fist ability
-Magmortar now learns Earth Power and Eruption as well as gaining the Sheer Force ability
-Togekiss now learns Moonblast and Hurricane
-Ampharos now learns Tail Glow, Dazzling Gleam, Flash Cannon and gains Lighting Rod ability
-Weavile now gains the Moxie ability
-Sceptile now learns Nasty Plot Looking
-Breloom now learns Drain Punch (via level-up)
-Aggron now learns Crunch
-Roserade now learns Quiver Dance
-Flygon now learns Bug Buzz
-Torterra HA is now Thick Fat
-Rampardos now gains the Rock Head ability
-Lopunny now learns Play Rough (via breeding)
-Vesiquen now gains the Queenly Majesty ability
-Abomasnow now learns Ice Hammer
-Emboar now learns Drain Punch
-Samurott now learns Sacred Sword (via level-up)
-Lilligant now learns Dazzling Gleam and Weather Ball
-Scrafty now learns Sucker Punch and Gunk Shot
-Cinccino now learns Play Rough and Comet Punch
-Reuinclus now learns Thunderbolt
-Eelektross now learns, Aqua Tail (via level-up), Leech Life and Thunder Fang
-Haxorus now learns Dragon Rush
-Beartic now learns Ice Hammer
-Hydreigon now learns Dragon Dance (via breeding)
-Zekrom now learns Earthquake
-Kyurem now learns Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Earthquake and Superpower
-Delphox now learns Energy Ball and Weather Ball
-Florges now learns Giga Drain and Synthesis (via breeding)
-Pangoro now learns Sucker Punch and Mach Punch
-Heliolisk now learns Solar Beam, Weather Ball, Sunny Day and Dazzling Gleam
-Tyrantrum now learns Stomping Tantrum and Outrage (via level-up)
-Aurorus now learns Aurora Veil, Power Gem, Calm Mind and Dazzling Gleam
-Goodra now learns Recover
-Incineroar now learns Sucker Punch
-Primarina now learns Calm Mind, Wish, Draining Kiss and Aurora Veil
-Crabominable now learns Ice Shard
-Lurantis now gains the Chlorophyll ability
-Bewear now learns Play Rough (via breeding),
-Silvally now learns Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse
-Kommo-o now learns Aura Sphere, Stone Edge, Mach Punch and Power-Up Punch, HA is now Multiscale + more egg moves (Dragon Pulse, Superpower, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Elemental Fangs, Crunch, Dragon Dance)
thoughts?

If they're going to keep Frustration as an actual move, at least buff it into something more useful. Like, say, for example, if the Pokemon is hit with a critical hit, Frustration's BP is doubled next turn (which means giving it an actual and fixed BP, like say 70). Essentially turn it into an Anger Point-esque move. And given the buffs to the critical hit formula (even though the damage itself has been cut down), it could prove useful against Mons who have things like Super Luck and the like. I mean, even STRING SHOT got a buff, so why not buff the virtually useless Frustration to something more worthwhile. Especially since the freakin' move has been a TM since the whole friendship concept was introduced, so at least make it worth the move slot.

If they're going to keep Frustration as an actual move, at least buff it into something more useful. Like, say, for example, if the Pokemon is hit with a critical hit, Frustration's BP is doubled next turn (which means giving it an actual and fixed BP, like say 70). Essentially turn it into an Anger Point-esque move. And given the buffs to the critical hit formula (even though the damage itself has been cut down), it could prove useful against Mons who have things like Super Luck and the like. I mean, even STRING SHOT got a buff, so why not buff the virtually useless Frustration to something more worthwhile. Especially since the freakin' move has been a TM since the whole friendship concept was introduced, so at least make it worth the move slot.
Maybe making it Dark-Type could help? That way it could at least be super-effective against something. Then again, I'm not a competitive player so I don't know how good would it be.

Stealth Rock really needs to be nerfed(i.e decrease it’s damage penalty), as it’s quite unbalanced as it is imo. It gives a massive disadvantage to Fire, Flying, Bug and Ice Pokemon while giving Ground while giving a huge plus to Ground, Fighting and Steel(which, perhaps uncoincidentally, are some of the most dominant types in competitive Pokemon).

What’s worse is that no one without Magic Guard is immune to it, unlike Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Last edited:
Stealth Rock really needs to be nerfed. It gives a massive disadvantage to Fire, Flying, Bug and Ice Pokemon while giving Ground while giving a huge plus to Ground, Fighting and Steel(which, perhaps uncoincidentally, are some of the most dominant types in competitive Pokemon). It’s quite unbalanced imo.

Agreed. And we have Roark to thank for this move. The move really needs to be downsized, as it pretty much shuts down anything that is weak to Rock instantaneously, leaving said Mons easy prey. Plus the fact that everyone and their mothers run it makes it pretty destructive. At least the move can't stack upon itself like Spikes and Toxic Spikes can, or the move would be insanely broken (not that it isn't already, but if it could stack... the game would be broken into countless whimpering pieces). Cutting down its distribution might help, maybe limit it to fewer already broken Mons than it is now might help?

Metal Sound should work like Disarming Voice and make damage+ the current effect+causing flinching or confusion for both would be nice.

Fairy wind should get a additional effect the same goes for water gun and vine whip... why ember has one and thunder shok?

That new Melmetal move better will be also given to some other pokes too.

It’s just bad marketing to give away the signature status of Melmetal's move so soon.

Yup. Give it one or two gens. That way it wouldn't look bad.

I know but here we can discuss it early or not? what would be potential candidates for that moven? Registeel? really hope Melmetal gets outstanding abilities to make it get new niche and outstand.

what if hail would half the damage from Stealth Rocks and other entry hazards for ice types?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom