• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Anime Summaries! (And one new title)

Kasumi said:
Why would they give him a Johto pokemon when he's about to (supposedly) go to Shinou?
They're just giving a few twists from the norm. Think about it:

When did the cast ever catch a Pokémon not in a current/next generation?
When did Ash ever lose a rematch?

Whereas before, both situations would have been regarded as never happening in our predictable anime, we now have Aipom and Brandon. (Not that it changes the situation in Shinou but it's still refreshing.)

Doctor Oak said:
They were high.

Maybe for once they wanted to be original and break the predictableness of staying on one generation at a time and never looking back. Up until Aipom, that's just about all they've been doing, never once breaking that pattern. It's always pissed me off, and as much as it would be cool for Aipom to have an evolution, I hope that does not happen.
I've always wanted to see the writers keep the captures BALANCED in terms of generation rather than stick with one gen at a time. It would absolutely suck if just when it started to seem like they were doing that, the only reason is because of the evolution.

Think about it... up until now, it seemed like once Ash had captured something from a preceding generation, it nullified the chances of anyone getting anything from the last generation(s). Once he got Heracross, it marked that his RBY gen capturing days were over, leaving 135-ish Pokemon down the drain. Once he started capturing Hoenn things, all Kanto/Johto Pokes went down the drain in terms of capture. Sure, the Anime is meant for advertising, but don't you think they should every now and then stick in something from one of the previous generations just for kicks?

May's Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Eevee were great ideas. Well, Bulbasaur and Squirtle wasn't much because they've been owned by main characters before, but Eevee was a huge bonus since no one's ever had one of those in all the years it's been around and all the popularity it's had. Same with Ash's Aipom.

Basically, capturing from previous generations is great for me, but if it's only so they'll evolve into the following generation, that just ruins it, no matter how cool the evolution is, it'll revert us to the boring, predictable pattern. I just wish they'd give him something old that no one's ever had before, just for kicks and being part of the main characters' lineup. Like for instance, (a TOTALLY random example) Cubone, Swinub, Hypno, Yanma... you name it.

Of course even if that did happen, a lot of people would assume it's because it has an evolution anyway, but you know what I mean.

Also, May to capture old ones was kind of obvious, because she's the first one that didn't start training in the RBY era, so it would be odd if she was limited to R/S and beyond.

They've used May to represent R/S, FR/LG, and D/P with her captures.

I still think it's suggestive that May was the first person to get a D/P Pokemon way back when we were still in Hoenn. Not to mention the first D/P Pokemon revealed which aside from the legends, (Manaphy/Lucario), has been the most marketed in Japan.

I still think Ash and May might be staying because they lose nothing from the transition from AG to D/P, (Gyms and Super Contests are in Shinou), so they continue being the blatant advertisements that they are now. I also don't see Pikachu and Munchlax being dropped from the face of the anime for the next region, but that may be just me.

Scott85 said:
Unless they take the Johto approach, where Ash uses his AG team until he makes new captures and sends them back to Oak one by one.

It's just a shame that guys like Kingler/Muk and all his Johto Pokemon rot away at Oaks lab for 200 episodes. They really should showcase them again, otherwise what's the point of them being there? Ah well.

Judging by the recent episode summary revelations, if he is taking anyone to Shin'ou, it's going to be Pikachu and the Kanto trio.

The reason Kingler, Muk, Tauros, etc. aren't showcased is because they don't sell toys like Sceptile, Squirtle, Charizard, etc. do.

Habunake said:
But I'm going with Lucario.

Why? Lucario had no connection with the Regis other than he happened to be in the same movie as them. They were more connected with Mew than him.

Scott85 said:
It might not even be legendary.

Maybe he has a Salamence or Tyranitar for his last Poke, those are pretty strong Pokemon that Ash has never battled against.

That would be way too anticlimatic.

Idea thief said:
May's Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Eevee were great ideas. Well, Bulbasaur and Squirtle wasn't much because they've been owned by main characters before, but Eevee was a huge bonus since no one's ever had one of those in all the years it's been around and all the popularity it's had. Same with Ash's Aipom.

Eevee has done nothing, though. I at least expected it to get in some good contest action, but it hasn't even gotten that. It's not even out of its ball very much.

Last edited:
Idea thief said:
Think about it... up until now, it seemed like once Ash had captured something from a preceding generation, it nullified the chances of anyone getting anything from the last generation(s). Once he got Heracross, it marked that his RBY gen capturing days were over, leaving 135-ish Pokemon down the drain. Once he started capturing Hoenn things, all Kanto/Johto Pokes went down the drain in terms of capture. Sure, the Anime is meant for advertising, but don't you think they should every now and then stick in something from one of the previous generations just for kicks?

Agreed, that's why I loved how in Hoenn the ones he captured weren't just the starters, a bug, and a bird. Torkoal, Corphish, and Glalie were nice surprises. I was even happier seeing him bring back Phanphy, have it evolve, and get an Aipom.

Yeah, Donphan is an example of how the writers should bring back old Pokémon; it's believable since we know Donphan's not going to evolve again (so far), so it doesn't seem like he's back as a result of ulterior motives.

I find it unlikely Ash will have to battle the 3 Regis all together when he couldn't even beat one of them alone.

I'd say it's more likely Brandon has 3 random strong Pokemon and then Regice for the 4th. Not the Trio and a random 4th.

God, I hate those misleading titles. I think that "Ash vs May final battle" will just be an end of a tournament or a contest. I also don't think that Ash is leaving because there is so much left unsaid, and like I always say, the writers make too much money to end Ash and May's adventures now.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Ash nearly took down Registeel with friggin Torkoal no less, one of his weaker Pokemon. The only reason he did so poorly against Regirock was because he was possessed. It's apparent that these Regi's are much weaker than the ones shown in Movie 8. (Which seems to happen to nearly every legendary featured in a normal episode, they're all weaker than their Movie counterparts)

I assume Bulbasaur will go against Regirock, Squirtle against Registeel, Charizard against Regice, and then Pikachu (?) against whatever Brandon's last Pokemon is.

It's a 4 vs 4 match... so yeah. He would be if it were all the Regis and one randomer.

Scott85 said:
Ash nearly took down Registeel with friggin Torkoal no less, one of his weaker Pokemon. The only reason he did so poorly against Regirock was because he was possessed. It's apparent that these Regi's are much weaker than the ones shown in Movie 8. (Which seems to happen to nearly every legendary featured in a normal episode, they're all weaker than their Movie counterparts)

I assume Bulbasaur will go against Regirock, Squirtle against Registeel, Charizard against Regice, and then Pikachu (?) against whatever Brandon's last Pokemon is.

Knowing the writers, I have a feeling his fourth won't be that strong and go against Pikachu, the Squirtle against Registeel (win for the turtle who lost!), Bulbasaur vs Regirock (do it for the fallen grass starter!), and Charizard vs Regice, since it seems to be the focus of the title.

Habunake said:
I think Aipom is the biggest clue of Ash staying so far. It's obvious the writers knew Shinou would be coming, so why would they give him it if he was leaving?

Has anyone considered that Aipom gets an evolution in D/P? We do know that some Pokemon from each generation gets new evolution branches. Perhaps Aipom is one of such Pokemon, and by letting Ash capture one, they're going to showcase it again somewhere down the anime. Which means Ash will have to stay for now...

Habunake said:
Knowing the writers, I have a feeling his fourth won't be that strong and go against Pikachu, the Squirtle against Registeel (win for the turtle who lost!), Bulbasaur vs Regirock (do it for the fallen grass starter!), and Charizard vs Regice, since it seems to be the focus of the title.

Or maybe they'll disadvantage Ash and go against the cycle: Charizard (or Pikachu) vs Regirock, Bulbasaur vs Regice, Squirtle against Registeel and either Pikachu or Charizard against Brandon's fourth.

Yeah, everyone has suggested Aipom will get an evo.

Not to mention the possibility of new Eeveelutions. Eevee was horribly undershowcased this saga, it barely got to do anything. It got one Contest and one GF match, and other than that it rotted in its ball. I don't think they would bother to give her an Eevee of all Pokemon and let it stagnate, otherwise it would have evolved by now.

marco2050 said:
Or maybe they'll disadvantage Ash and go against the cycle: Charizard (or Pikachu) vs Regirock, Bulbasaur vs Regice, Squirtle against Registeel and either Pikachu or Charizard against Brandon's fourth.
That's unlikely. Ash chooses his Pokémon after seeing what Brandon releases and he's going to need all the help he can get. He wouldn't deliberately give himself a type disadvantage without a good reason. The Pokémon match-ups will depend on what strategies Ash comes up with.

I find it unlikely Ash will have to battle the 3 Regis all together when he couldn't even beat one of them alone.

I'd say it's more likely Brandon has 3 random strong Pokemon and then Regice for the 4th. Not the Trio and a random 4th.
You could be right. In fact, it would be a good move on the part of the writers. If so, Pikachu vs. Regice is a foregone conclusion.

Doctor Oak said:
I watch Pokemon for the battles and the music.

If there's a nice plot to go with it, it's a bonus.
Heh......

The funny thing is, I'm unlike most Pokemon fans because I like nearly every aspect of the anime, and that includes the plot, battles, animation, and the music. I see no flaws in anything whatsoever (except for maybe some of the writing - they could at least give Ash a lesser amount of main character abuse when/if he goes to Shinoh, lol) :)

Overall, I love everything about Pokemon, and I just think it's a really great show. XD

Nomekop Oen said:
Pokemon is Pokemon,it's pretty much in a league of it's own.
LOL, Nomekop Oen!!

When I read that line, it made me laugh like crazy. XD

Anyway though, yeah, I agree. I think it's stupid for people to compare an anime like Pokemon to other anime, because they're just so different from each other.

Pokemon is one of the most unique anime I've ever seen, and you really can't compare it to anything else, because it's just that different. It's in its own world and universe altogether. Of course, that's another reason why I like it so much. XD

Nomekop Oen said:
Fans of the series watch it for what it is and the show *has* been entertaining considering it doesn't have a manga to work off from.(but a plot would be nice...) If you don't like what you see,then change the channel or turn off the TV.
That's true.

I completely agree with you, Nomekop Oen. ^^

Last edited:
PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Heh......

The funny thing is, I'm unlike most Pokemon fans because I like nearly every aspect of the anime, and that includes the plot, battles, animation, and the music. I see no flaws in anything whatsoever (except for maybe some of the writing - they could at least give Ash a lesser amount of main character abuse when/if he goes to Shinoh, lol) :)

Overall, I love everything about Pokemon, and I just think it's a really great show. XD

Me too. I love the show completely, maybe because I'm easy to impress and I like how the episodes aren't overly stressful and deep and help cheer me up when I'm down.

Pokemon is Pokemon,it's pretty much in a league of it's own.

Agreed, at school some people were comparing it to FMA and saying it was dumb because it didn't have any blood....-_-

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom