• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Badge System!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoaringDylan

The Sobbley Trainer
Reaction score
Hey everyone, as you may know we use badges on the forums to show who works where within the Bulba team. Last year, we also added 3 fan badges for the Galarian starters.
Starting today, we're moving away from the old system and will be using a new Badge system, which allows us to create badges more easily- and specifically give them to users more easily!

Currently we have no new user specific badges, but they will be coming in the near future.

Until then, please be aware of how the system functions:

You can see someone's badges (including your own) on your profile's badge tab. If you don't have one, you don't have any badges.
If you're on your own profile, you will be able to see these little megaphone icons: 1598198795935.png these allow you to setup which badges are actually shown on your posts
And it's as simple as that.

FAQ:
Q: I used to have a fan banner but it's gone now!
A: You probably have to 'feature' the badge, if you follow the steps above and hit the megaphone behind the banner you'll be able to get your badge back!

Q: B-but, I don't have the badge either!
A: The system only awards badges to those that have been online in the last couple of hours, and checks this once an hour. Please wait a couple of hours and it should show up!

Q: *insert 10 years later spongebob meme*
A: Still not there? Well, feel free to post in this thread and one of our Super Mods / Admins can manually give it to you.

Q: Is there a limit to the amount of badges we can have?
A: Yes, and no. You can have unlimited badges, but only feature 4 at a time (or 6 if you're staff)

Q: Can I turn off the email notifications?
A: No, not yet. We're working on fixing this.

I just now got the Sobble fan badge. It's very nice. I do like Sobble and it's evolutions.
Also, there be a way for the users to create badges or will only the staff be able to make them?

I just now got the Sobble fan badge. It's very nice. I do like Sobble and it's evolutions.
Also, there be a way for the users to create badges or will only the staff be able to make them?
Only admins will be able to add them to the forums.

However, if we have some users that have some cool badge ideas, feel free to share them.

However, if we have some users that have some cool badge ideas, feel free to share them.
Just thought of these:
  • Fan badges for the rest of the starter trios
  • Fan badges for game versions (third versions excluded)
  • Favorite type badge
  • Favorite region badge
  • Favorite regional bird/rodent/insect badges
  • Favorite spin-off badges
  • Prestige badges for users that have achieved certain goals, such as completing the National/Regional Pokedex or achieving a certain number of wins in a battle facility
    • Inspired by the prestige flair system on r/pokemon where you can submit pictures proving that you achieved a goal such as completing the Pokedex and receive a special flair in return
Edit:

Some more ideas that are more forum specific:
  • Award badges for users that could be determined by the mods/other users (voting?) for things such as posting lots of meaningful content
    • Maybe there could be an end-of-year award ceremony for each of the forums on BMGf where these badge awards would be given out
  • Fizzy Bubbles badges for certain FB achievements such as a badge for participating in the Primal Dialga raid or obtaining a certain number of trainer battle wins
    • Primarily applies to things done on the BMGf forums

Last edited:
Just thought of these:
  • Fan badges for the rest of the starter trios
  • Fan badges for game versions (third versions excluded)
  • Favorite type badge
  • Favorite region badge
  • Favorite regional bird/rodent/insect badges
  • Favorite spin-off badges
  • Prestige badges for users that have achieved certain goals, such as completing the National/Regional Pokedex or achieving a certain number of wins in a battle facility
    • Inspired by the prestige flair system on r/pokemon where you can submit pictures proving that you achieved a goal such as completing the Pokedex and receive a special flair in return
Edit:

Some more ideas that are more forum specific:
  • Award badges for users that could be determined by the mods/other users (voting?) for things such as posting lots of meaningful content
    • Maybe there could be an end-of-year award ceremony for each of the forums on BMGf where these badge awards would be given out
  • Fizzy Bubbles badges for certain FB achievements such as a badge for participating in the Primal Dialga raid or obtaining a certain number of trainer battle wins
    • Primarily applies to things done on the BMGf forums
Great ideas SpinyShell. Another way we are planning to implement badges is as rewards for events.

I'd suggest the following based on individual choices at our "hub"/profile setting and one for each:
- evil teams' badges - TR, Aqua, Magma and so on,
- Type badges - Grass, Poison, Dragon, etc.,
- Favorite Pkmn badge base on in-game "Pokemon" sprites.

While these are good ideas, this one in particular would mean that an artist would have to manually make all 800+ bars.
Maybe what they mean is that just the sprite would be used, i.e. you wouldn’t have to make any bars (although I imagine you’d still have to enter all 800+ sprites though).

While these are good ideas, this one in particular would mean that an artist would have to manually make all 800+ bars.
Maybe what they mean is that just the sprite would be used, i.e. you wouldn’t have to make any bars (although I imagine you’d still have to enter all 800+ sprites though).
I do agree that making 800+ badges for individual Pokemon would be impractical.

If it were up to me personally I'd prefer more unique badges (that is, stuff we haven’t had before) instead of favourite Pokémon, favourite trios et cetera since the profile itself already has fields for them, not to mention the actual workload of designing favourite "trios" and stuff. It’d also be pretty arbitrary unless the staff does all of them, which would be impractical.

I suggest badges for milestones like being an active user, or being a prolific poster in the forums since you don’t get to see those milestones much. Iirc they’re only shown for notable users under the notable members page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom