• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New BB Code! ~Hover Popup Messages~

SoaringDylan

The Sobbley Trainer
Reaction score
Hey guys! Feature update!

@UselessBytes & @Misfit Angel over from the Writers' Workshop requested if we could have a way to make popup messages on top of text.
And after a couple hours of tinkering here we have the solution!

And it's hoverable!
You see?

This BB code is now usable everywhere except for in Signatures, so I hope you'll enjoy it!

You can also find this help over here: BB codes

Please note that any BB code should work inside the popup. for example
I'm a Bold And Italic! Message.

Code:
[hover="for example"][B]I'm a Bold [I]And Italic![/I][/B] Message.[/hover]

Even recursive hovers
recursive hovers
recursive hovers
recursive hovers
Are possible

If you find any bugs, like not being able to see text due to a wrong color, or similar. Please let me know down below :)
Feedback is of course also welcome!

Just like if you have any other feature requests! however please direct those over here: FAQ: - Forum Update: Question & Suggestion Thread

• The size of the popup is at least 300px on Tablet & PC, but sizes to be the same as the size of the 'hoverable' text.
  • On small phone screens the popup may go off screen slightly, you should be able to scroll off the side of the screen to read it that way.
  • Hovers inside quotes or the preview box are cut off by the quote/preview box.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:
Dylan, you and whoever else who have may worked on this are awesome for doing this in such a short amount time!! Especially just because UselessBytes wanted this just for their Yugioh fanfic.

Dylan, you and whoever else who have may worked on this are awesome for doing this in such a short amount time!! Especially just because UselessBytes wanted this just for their Yugioh fanfic.
No problems haha, it wasn't that hard to do. So if you ever have another suggestion just let me know :)

God bless you for saving me from describing pot of greed every single damn time

But for real, this is gonna be real useful and I see it getting a ton of use over in the workshop. Thanks for hooking us up!

Found a bug: hovers don't seem to work properly in preview.

Found that hovers are incompatible with URL bbcode.

Found that hovers are incompatible with URL bbcode.
@Nori
:unsure:

Unless you mean the text you want to be hover-able be the link. In that case, yes, you're right. You can't use the
Code:
[HOVER]
BB Code.

However... That's why we also have the more-advanced hover bbcode!

1591472556274.png

[hoverable]Seems just fine to me?[hovermsg]This shows up when you hover[/hovermsg][/hoverable]

Unless you mean the text you want to be hover-able be the link. In that case, yes, you're right. You can't use the
This, but it also didn't seem to work for me with the link being the hover message either, but maybe because I was using hoverable and hovermessage instead of hover=?

Last edited:
[hoverable]Seems just fine to me?[hovermsg]This shows up when you hover[/hovermsg][/hoverable]

@Nori
Code:
[hoverable][URL='https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?account/']Seems just fine to me?[/URL][hovermsg]This shows up when you hover[/hovermsg][/hoverable]

Hmm... Maybe it was just in the preview? (Also I edited my previous message while you were replying :x)

[hoverable]built-in tilting mechanism[hovermsg]The seat is partially tilted in the image.[/hovermsg][/hoverable] for preventing pressure ulcers.

(Edit)
I wonder if my multitude of quotes in the same reply has something to do with it... I'll see what happens later. I guess it's PEBCAC for now.

Hmm... Maybe it was just in the preview? (Also I edited my previous message while you were replying :x)
Ah yes, the preview box uses the same logic as the Quotes box, meaning it cuts-off hovers. That's a restriction I can't change. So you can preview hovers, however they would have to be in the middle of a post so it has some space to grow x)

example of hover in middle of preview:

Well, what I meant was that it wasn't detecting the tags correctly... Let me see if I can replicate it.

I think it's a combination of the rich-text editor and PEBCAC that caused it to not work (it worked just fine when I tested it just now). Thanks for the help with figuring out the problem.

Back
Top Bottom