• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Box Wallpapers

Unfortunately I am missing a couple of those words. I need to get me a Pokemon with Liquid Ooze ability ASAP.

I'm going to recommend against that, since the codes change every time you request them. I'm guessing that it is based on time, and the codes are valid for X amount of time passed when they were generated for. Or maybe it's just that there are several different codes that will work for a particular Trainer ID and wallpaper.

I doubt that it is time based. There is no way the game would know when you bothered to punch i the code on the site.

I doubt that it is time based. There is no way the game would know when you bothered to punch i the code on the site.

It's entirely possible, but not by communicating with the site or anything.

It would work as follows: Each possible combination of words for an ID and wallpaper encodes a specific time. The game looks at the words you give it, determines whether they specify a time that is close enough to now (based on your DS clock), lets say within a week maybe, and enables the wallpaper if so.

The site could then do its magic by doing the reverse: Given an ID, a wallpaper, and a time (now), produce the necessary words.

It's likely something simpler than that, or it might be something more complex. But as a Computer Scientist (TM) I assure you it's possible.

Would the designers really bother with something that complicated? Maybe, I dunno. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be all that hard to do, especially if they wanted to make sure people didn't figure out how to get them outside of special events and such. They just figured people like the guys at filb.de wouldn't go to all the effort of prying it out of the game data and making it easily accessible. Maybe.

Would the designers really bother with something that complicated?

Well, have you seen the catch rate formulas on Bulbapedia? O_O;

Granted, the catching of Pokes is the very heart of the game, but even so... the tendency seems to be there.

NECRONECRONECROPOSTING!

I revived this twice. I hope you people out here keep looking at this thread!

Out of curiosity, why are the codes for these wallpapers offered on such a seemingly obscure site, instead of (for example) an official Nintendo site? Does Nintendo release the code calculation program and distribute it to Pokémon fan sites and forums, or have amateur codemonkeys reverse-engineered them?

If it's reverse-engineering, when (and if) was Nintendo planning to officially release them? Or had they already done so?

Out of curiosity, why are the codes for these wallpapers offered on such a seemingly obscure site, instead of (for example) an official Nintendo site? Does Nintendo release the code calculation program and distribute it to Pokémon fan sites and forums, or have amateur codemonkeys reverse-engineered them?

If it's reverse-engineering, when (and if) was Nintendo planning to officially release them? Or had they already done so?

An official Japanese site releases them, they had them for Emerald.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom