• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Characters

Do you think Cheren is male or male?

• Total voters
Re: Cheren

haha, less rule 34.

Indeed. If he is a boy, then yo, White-kun and Cheren-kun OTP forever! -brick'd-

Yeah, I think Cheren is a boy. Nothing wrong with bein' a little pretty, you know. Plus his shirt.

Cheren might be a rival, or a villainous team member, or whatever he'll officially be revealed to be. D:

genderless pseudo rival

Personally, I don't see this ambiguity that others are seeing. There is no feminicity about that portrait. If you think glasses and slanted eyes account for a being female, I gotta say, there's something wrong with that.

Personally, I don't see this ambiguity that others are seeing. There is no feminicity about that portrait. If you think glasses and slanted eyes account for a being female, I gotta say, there's something wrong with that.

At the same time I don't see how Cheren looks masculine at all. I mean compared to the other character shown (the ones that are most likely Male) Cheren looks like the opposite gender I mean just compare it the Male Player Character, I mean yes they're two different characters, but then when you compare Cheren to the Green Haired Person who is likely male there's even more differences between the two to the point they have to be opposite genders. I mean if you look closely Cheren has some feminine eyelashes at left eye, in fact that actually may be part of Cheren's eye. Cheren's glasses don't look to be a complete as in only the bottom part of the glasses have rims, the top part the dark part looks to be part of Cheren's own body (her eyelashes, her eye line, etc). I mean can someone edit the bottom rim of Cheren's glasses, and just leave the top part? I'm almost positive that in that case Cheren would look really feminine.

Edit: Or better yet how about some fan art.

The telltale eyelashes that sets the tone for gender differences in the artwork are not there. If they were, I wouldn't be saying anything.

I noticed the eyelash thing to. It can't be the glasses, it would be really sloppy to draw a few random lines sticking out.

And if that's the case...it's gotta be a girl. So far EVERY pokemon character with eyelashes has been a girl (joke scenes from the anime don't count).

Gah... I can't tell! You'd think as a gay guy I could distinguish a little better when someone's this androgynous... Hmm... I'm gonna say... Girl. It's so hard to tell, though! And I'm kinda upset that I was the tie-breaking vote.

I think she's a female, personally. I also think that she'll probably play the role of the character who we run into a lot, who is trying to stop the evil organization, but doesn't do so well, and won't accept your help. Or something along those lines. Then, like Barry in D/P/Pt, she'd have a storyline of her own, rather than just being some tool of a rival.

Sorry if that didn't make much sense, I'm bad at explanations.

To be honest, I don't think Cheren is important in the slightest. Just looks like any ordinary trainer to me.

To be honest, I don't think Cheren is important in the slightest. Just looks like any ordinary trainer to me.
You know, other than actually getting a Vs. banner, on top of being encountered in a room that looks like its been robbed.

Now before people start screaming female, you can't even see the rest of Cheren's clothes so its not like the first picture is a very accurate portrayal. I don't even know how someone managed to call Cheren flat-chested >_>

Again, I don't understand how fanart is a solution to this.

Cheren's facial structure is basically the same as every other prepubescent boy (and the new boy) in the series, basically can wind up being the girl if given long hair and boobs.

Like Rainbow mentioned, the hands are also masculine.

You know, other than actually getting a Vs. banner, on top of being encountered in a room that looks like its been robbed.

That banner could be bought up with all trainers in the new game though.

Just sayin', t'is all...

That banner could be bought up with all trainers in the new game though.

Just sayin', t'is all...
And the explanation of Cheren being featured in pre-release info if he/she is not important? Or the fact that Cheren is actually named rather than referred to by Trainer class if they were showcasing a new trainer class? The fact that a trainer class wasn't even given with the name?

EDIT: And Cheren has made it into a TVtropes page

Last edited:

honestly just looks like a nerdy guy to me. hands look manly, and the face on the sprite has a pretty manly frown on it. i can see the resemblance to a girl, definitely, but i'm pretty sure it's a guy.

Back
Top Bottom