• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Characters

Do you think Cheren is male or male?

• Total voters
Re: Cheren

I thought (s)he was male, and now everyone's confused me XD

I doubt he/she is the leader of the evil organisation; does that room they're in really look 'evil' to you?

Totally a trap.

I've been fooled before, it's a man.

Most likely your rival.

I do like the design though, he looks like the "stick up the ass" type. The type you want to punch in the face.

I'm voting female, but I honestly don't know. Not going to be surprised one way or the other. Definately like the character's design though, and I'm looking forward to seeing their role in the game itself, whether its a member of the evil group, or just your rival. Still curious why they are in that screwed up room though.

I think it's a male. And I have no doubt that he's supposed to help you.

Maybe with Legendaries or something. Just throwing it out there.

By Pokemon standards they look 100% dude to me (not that they couldn't be a girl, but I'd be surprised). He looks like he could be rather snooty/cocky, I could see him as a rival or/and some sort of reluctant ally.

It's genderless. Like Gear. I've decided upon that.

At least it's not a fat blonde hermaphrodite with a flock of seagulls haircut and only one nostril.

And the explanation of Cheren being featured in pre-release info if he/she is not important? Or the fact that Cheren is actually named rather than referred to by Trainer class if they were showcasing a new trainer class? The fact that a trainer class wasn't even given with the name?

EDIT: And Cheren has made it into a TVtropes page

Ok then. Sorry, I wasn't aware that there was anything else on this character, all I've seen is a video and then loads of people talking about Cheren.

That website seems quite interesting though :)

IT'S A BOY / MALE / MAN

If it was a female it should've had lipstick because they're older now. :p

I dislike Pixiv because I can't access it (because I'm not from Japan, and even if I could access it, I wouldn't even know where to begin since if it is a logging in problem, I don't think I'd be able even remotely keep track of that sort of thing), not to mention that any pics I do see are limited to thumbnails and I can't see jack anyway.

You know, because fanart has always solved everything, its not like it can't be made out to fan interpretation of the design >_>

I didn't really mean it would solve the problem, only that it would help, after all if someone can create a bigger image of the VS battle sprite, it might be able to help distinguish the features better. Although the one posted by Rainbowsaurus doesn't look quite right, since in the BW picture it doesn't look like it has full rims although it doesn't really look more masculine anyway (but I can see Cheren being a male in that one).

Oh and for those who said Masculine Hands, that better be code for "Anime Males have these type of hands, always" because aside from a small layer of hair slightly above the knuckles my hands aren't exactly masculine (if I actually treated my hands like some girls do, with like manicures and stuff, I could probably have really girly hands).

I dislike Pixiv because I can't access it (because I'm not from Japan, and even if I could access it, I wouldn't even know where to begin since if it is a logging in problem, I don't think I'd be able even remotely keep track of that sort of thing), not to mention that any pics I do see are limited to thumbnails and I can't see jack anyway.

Eh, Rainbowsaurus posted all the fanarts so far from Pixiv anyway.

Eh, Rainbowsaurus posted all the fanarts so far from Pixiv anyway.

Well isn't there a difference between using the img tags, then just a link? Because if the photo can be directly viewed from Bulbagarden, isn't that better than having to go somewhere else. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, it's just I can't see anything on Pixiv except possible thumbnails (assuming Pixiv didn't get rid of those recently, considering the link you gave me showed nothing but text,

Last edited:

Well isn't there a difference between using the img tags, then just a link? Because if the photo can be directly viewed from Bulbapedia, isn't that better than having to go somewhere else. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, it's just I can't see anything on Pixiv except possible thumbnails (assuming Pixiv didn't get rid of those recently, considering the link you gave me showed nothing but text,

Nope, they used imageshack to host the picture. I tried to link directly from Pixiv before and was told that it wouldn't show for most. It is annoying, but google translate should get you through the Pixiv account process, if you care for it.

---

I don't know what to think of Cheren. I sort of need more to make an opinion. I do think that they are female though, it will be interesting to see what gender they turn out to be.

Are you people so unfamiliar with the appearance of a human female that you can't see that Cheren is clearly a girl!? I'll go ahead & call her English name; Sharon (or a variant of that name.)

Maylene looks more like a guy to me than Cheren does, I swear!

As for HER role in the games, it's really too early to call. Here are a couple possibilities I can see being accurate:

1. She is a member of the police force/International Police. Your room (or another person's) has been ransacked for some reason & she thinks you're the perp & challenges you. The other girl could be the real perp & she convinces Cheren you did it or it could be her room.

2. She is a member of the evil team. Your room (or another person's) has been ransacked by Cheren & the other girl present (who is also in the evil team.)

Last edited:

My immediate thought was that Cheren was a male character. But after a second look and some comments that others made, I can see Cheren as being a girl(tomboyish).

She could be a younger neighbor who always had been in your shadows, and now with her new pokemon, she sees this as a chance to be better than you at something, so she won't hear from her mother things like,"I wish you were like that neighbor boy/girl. He/She is so mature and smart and helpful. You could learn a thing or two from a role-model like that." Or... She could hold a grudge against you because you met up with Professor Araragi first and got the pokemon she had wanted to pick out.

Basically she would be a female rival. She could say something like,"I am just as good as you. In fact, I'll show you how good I am right now. Let's battle!"

Male. It could easily be a nerdy guy who was dispatched by the International Police Force in search of the evil team that recently ransacked your room. We won't know for sure until we see a full body artwork from GF, not fan-art.

Finding out the gender according to name isn't going to be of much help, since Cheren can be either a boy (Mongolian) or a girl name (Australian) depending on the culture.
I still support my previous argument that this Cheren is female.

Im gonna say its a girl...like someone else said, it kinda looks like Nanao...and the glasses look more feminine than masculine. Im all for a female evil team leader...that would be cool x]

Back
Top Bottom