• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Confirmed Moves/Abilities/Distribution Discussion

I find it amazing that on Smogon that the ability Inconsistent had been found to be very abusive that a ban is being called to remove the ability from play, even though the Pokémon that got it would otherwise be mediocre. If you forgot, Inconsistent increases a random stat by two stages and reduce another random stat by one, and due to this, there will always be a net increase in stat. The most popular way to abuse this is to apply Protect and Substitute, and the other two will either be attacks or Toxic + Attack. For those who say Inconsistent is not quite a good ability, what do you think?

Thanks for reading.

Bidoof always gets awesome abilities like that. Biggest joke character ever made bigger with inconsistent.

With Canon becoming the "Secret Power" of Gen V, that got me thinking...

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon and the game's animation, it refers to music. So if that's true,
"Does anyone want a Singing Gyarados?" :goof:

Yeah cuz it shoots out pachelbel and plays in D major :p lol if it is based on music i guess it would make sense since cannon in music is almost like a round

Well

A) Windstorm doesn't have the same effect as Thunder. it can be assured that they are pretty different attacks.

B) I think sticking to some more reliable sources is the best thing. I mean, a Google document is somewhat like a Wikipedia page. Not much to add on that.

My favorite ability from this Generation, I'd say, would be Analyze. I mean, it increases your attack's power if you move after your opponent! That's a pretty handy ability when it comes to dealing with either speedy Pokemon, or a Pokemon of yours that's generally weak.

On the other hand, there have been multiple sources which state the opposite. Smogon has its effect listed as an index [E151], though that may be counted as a different effect in that it causes both confusion and is affected by weather. This source only says "increase accuracy during weather"

You're confusing the side effect index number with the flag that indicates it's affected by weather, so of course Thunder has a different value (30% chance of paralyzing). The rest behaves exactly like Thunder: it has 50% accuracy during Sunny Day, 100% with Rain Dance and the normal value during any other weather; it is able to hit Pokémon during Bounce, Fly and Free Fall. Besides, it can hit non-adjacent targets in Triple Battles. I can confirm this as I have a Ulgamoth with Hurricane and it only has 100% accuracy when I set up Rain Dance with my Tornelos; pairing it with my Drought Ninetales results in Hurricane missing 50% of the time.

If you look at the BW Research Thread on Smogon, you'll find that my description is correct.

You're confusing the side effect index number with the flag that indicates it's affected by weather, so of course Thunder has a different value (30% chance of paralyzing). The rest behaves exactly like Thunder: it has 50% accuracy during Sunny Day, 100% with Rain Dance and the normal value during any other weather; it is able to hit Pokémon during Bounce, Fly and Free Fall. Besides, it can hit non-adjacent targets in Triple Battles. I can confirm this as I have a Ulgamoth with Hurricane and it only has 100% accuracy when I set up Rain Dance with my Tornelos; pairing it with my Drought Ninetales results in Hurricane missing 50% of the time.

If you look at the BW Research Thread on Smogon, you'll find that my description is correct.
Thank you for that ^_^
Well

A) Windstorm doesn't have the same effect as Thunder. it can be assured that they are pretty different attacks.

B) I think sticking to some more reliable sources is the best thing. I mean, a Google document is somewhat like a Wikipedia page. Not much to add on that.
It may be google documents, but its a document compiled by a fan doing research on moves and their effect. I don't see how its any different from believing a forum post doing the same thing.

There also aren't any official sources online that go into this kind of detail, and from my experience (and from other people's testimonials), official published sources are much worse than fandom research.

These are the English names of the new abilities:

Analytic, Big Pecks, Contrary, Cursed Body, Defeatist, Defiant, Flare Boost, Friend Guard, Harvest, Healer, Heavy Metal, Illusion, Imposter, Infiltrator, Iron Barbs, Justified, Light Metal, Magic Bounce, Moody, Moxie, Multiscale, Mummy, Overcoat, Pickpocket, Poison Touch, Prankster, Rattled, Regenerator, Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sap Sipper, Sheer Force, Telepathy, Teravolt, Toxic Boost, Turboblaze, Unnerve, Victory Star, Weak Armor, Wonder Skin, Zen Mode

These are the English names of the new abilities:

Analytic, Big Pecks, Contrary, Cursed Body, Defeatist, Defiant, Flare Boost, Friend Guard, Harvest, Healer, Heavy Metal, Illusion, Imposter, Infiltrator, Iron Barbs, Justified, Light Metal, Magic Bounce, Moody, Moxie, Multiscale, Mummy, Overcoat, Pickpocket, Poison Touch, Prankster, Rattled, Regenerator, Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sap Sipper, Sheer Force, Telepathy, Teravolt, Toxic Boost, Turboblaze, Unnerve, Victory Star, Weak Armor, Wonder Skin, Zen Mode

We know about this already

Back
Top Bottom