• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

New Discoveries About Your Favorite Pokemon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
So, after watching Truegreen7's video titled "Pokemon You Probably Don't Understand", it made me think about what undiscovered things could be uncovered about someone's favorite Pokemon. I'll start:

So, after looking at the tails of the fused Kyurem forms, you would see that much like the tails of Reshiram and Zekrom, they are based of energy generators. But what I haven't discovered until now is that the tails are actually two separate halves of a much larger generator. It is easier seen with the fused Kyurem forms, after looking closely at their models, White Kyurem's tail has some sort of wire on the furry/feathery part of the tail that leads to something that's clearly missing, then after closely examining Black Kyurem's tail, it seems to be empty aside from the cyan-colored electricity that appears inside when in Overdrive Mode. So yeah, the tails of the Tao trio (except empty Kyurem) are clearly two halves of the same energy generator.

646Kyurem-Black2.png900px-646Kyurem-White2.png

Anyways, I'm curious about what new discoveries you made about your favorite Pokemon!

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
Upon close inspection, I’ve noticed that the white parts of Turtonator’s eye are technically not part of its eye. When happy, the black dot “curls” into a half circle, which means that it’s technically the whole eye.
C82DB86D-8BD9-4C8D-880A-36E6BECE477D.jpeg

Now, I imagine the designers intended for both the black dot and white part to be considered the whole eyeball, and that’s how I see its eye too. However, it did make me pause when I inspected Turtonator’s face closely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not all of these are recent, but they're still cool trivia I want to share:
  • Phanpy's earrings are based on the rings some indian elephants are given. Also, the reason why its ears are floppy in most media if because they represent fans.
  • Raichu's tail and ears are based on Eleking (I'm not sure if that's its name), an enemy of Ultraman.
  • Teddiursa has a half moon on its front, which when it evolves turns into a full moon.
  • Unown is based on the power of language and how it creates realities, and is probably a meta nod to the fact that the game is basically a bunch of words put together.
  • Cyndaquil wasn't meant to be a starter and apparently had another type early on development. It was axed for one version on the game but then came back.
  • Jigglypuff could be based on the face on the moon while Wigglytuff would represent the rabbit on the moon.
  • Wobbuffet is a fully inflated punching bag while Wynat is a deflated one, that's why it has a lump.
  • It's not high on my list but people deserve to know it: Glailie could be based on a hockey player, who unline Snorunt who is shivering all the time has actually embraced cold.
  • The Beldum family is a mix between Mechas and Flying saucers. I came to that conclusion on my own.
  • Wailord is a blimp and probably was supposed to be flying on the air, that's why it has a very low weight. Probably the backtracked on the anime and on Gen VI because it would look too weird.
  • Palpitoad could be based on a speaker.
  • Beheeyem incorporates "Men in Black" vibes in its design, as it has the buttons of a coat.
  • Zygarde 50% has 5 antennae on its back referencing the 5 cores it needs.
  • Tyrantrum and Aurorus incorporate day and night motifs on their designs.
  • Chewtle's bite is harmless in the anime, and its very simple tooth leads me to believe that's probably the intention with the species.
  • Dottler's helmet represents neural connections as well as radal signals.
  • Galarian Zen Darumaka is based on an oriental practice that claims that you can get to your "ancient lives" through meditation, that's why it's Fire-type.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Upon close inspection, I’ve noticed that the white parts of Turtonator’s eye are technically not part of its eye. When happy, the black dot “curls” into a half circle, which means that it’s technically the whole eye.

Now, I imagine the designers intended for both the black dot and white part to be considered the whole eyeball, and that’s how I see its eye too. However, it did make me pause when I inspected Turtonator’s face closely.
This not only applies to Turtonator. Litten and Magnemite are like that, too, which is a little bit unnerving for me.

RK9

User Online
Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Arcanine is a good boy.

Well, everyone knew that, actually.

Oh well. He's a good boy regardless.