• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Discoveries About Your Favorite Pokemon

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
So, after watching Truegreen7's video titled "Pokemon You Probably Don't Understand", it made me think about what undiscovered things could be uncovered about someone's favorite Pokemon. I'll start:

So, after looking at the tails of the fused Kyurem forms, you would see that much like the tails of Reshiram and Zekrom, they are based of energy generators. But what I haven't discovered until now is that the tails are actually two separate halves of a much larger generator. It is easier seen with the fused Kyurem forms, after looking closely at their models, White Kyurem's tail has some sort of wire on the furry/feathery part of the tail that leads to something that's clearly missing, then after closely examining Black Kyurem's tail, it seems to be empty aside from the cyan-colored electricity that appears inside when in Overdrive Mode. So yeah, the tails of the Tao trio (except empty Kyurem) are clearly two halves of the same energy generator.

646Kyurem-Black2.png 900px-646Kyurem-White2.png

Anyways, I'm curious about what new discoveries you made about your favorite Pokemon!

Upon close inspection, I’ve noticed that the white parts of Turtonator’s eye are technically not part of its eye. When happy, the black dot “curls” into a half circle, which means that it’s technically the whole eye.
C82DB86D-8BD9-4C8D-880A-36E6BECE477D.jpeg

Now, I imagine the designers intended for both the black dot and white part to be considered the whole eyeball, and that’s how I see its eye too. However, it did make me pause when I inspected Turtonator’s face closely.

Last edited:
Not all of these are recent, but they're still cool trivia I want to share:
  • Phanpy's earrings are based on the rings some indian elephants are given. Also, the reason why its ears are floppy in most media if because they represent fans.
  • Raichu's tail and ears are based on Eleking (I'm not sure if that's its name), an enemy of Ultraman.
  • Teddiursa has a half moon on its front, which when it evolves turns into a full moon.
  • Unown is based on the power of language and how it creates realities, and is probably a meta nod to the fact that the game is basically a bunch of words put together.
  • Cyndaquil wasn't meant to be a starter and apparently had another type early on development. It was axed for one version on the game but then came back.
  • Jigglypuff could be based on the face on the moon while Wigglytuff would represent the rabbit on the moon.
  • Wobbuffet is a fully inflated punching bag while Wynat is a deflated one, that's why it has a lump.
  • It's not high on my list but people deserve to know it: Glailie could be based on a hockey player, who unline Snorunt who is shivering all the time has actually embraced cold.
  • The Beldum family is a mix between Mechas and Flying saucers. I came to that conclusion on my own.
  • Wailord is a blimp and probably was supposed to be flying on the air, that's why it has a very low weight. Probably the backtracked on the anime and on Gen VI because it would look too weird.
  • Palpitoad could be based on a speaker.
  • Beheeyem incorporates "Men in Black" vibes in its design, as it has the buttons of a coat.
  • Zygarde 50% has 5 antennae on its back referencing the 5 cores it needs.
  • Tyrantrum and Aurorus incorporate day and night motifs on their designs.
  • Chewtle's bite is harmless in the anime, and its very simple tooth leads me to believe that's probably the intention with the species.
  • Dottler's helmet represents neural connections as well as radal signals.
  • Galarian Zen Darumaka is based on an oriental practice that claims that you can get to your "ancient lives" through meditation, that's why it's Fire-type.

Last edited:
Upon close inspection, I’ve noticed that the white parts of Turtonator’s eye are technically not part of its eye. When happy, the black dot “curls” into a half circle, which means that it’s technically the whole eye.

Now, I imagine the designers intended for both the black dot and white part to be considered the whole eyeball, and that’s how I see its eye too. However, it did make me pause when I inspected Turtonator’s face closely.
This not only applies to Turtonator. Litten and Magnemite are like that, too, which is a little bit unnerving for me.

I found out today that Gyarados only has 1 more point in Speed than Magikarp. Magikarp's speed is 80 and Gyarados Speed is 81.

I realized today that Lapras' Gigantamax form is based on a cruise ship. Both of its Pokedex entries allude to this:

Sword: Over 5,000 people can ride on its shell at once. And it’s a very comfortable ride, without the slightest shaking or swaying.
Shield: It surrounds itself with a huge ring of gathered ice particles. It uses the ring to smash any icebergs that might impede its graceful swimming.

The Sword entry is clearly a reference to cruise ships, while the Shield entry may be a reference to the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. The fact that the Titanic was a British ship fits the theme of the Galar region, too.

The bars on Gigantamax Lapras' shell resemble the different levels of a ship, and the holes in the shell are doorways that allow passengers to go inside and, presumably, climb up or down to different levels.

I already knew that the ice particles were based on music notation, but I somehow completely missed the cruise ship reference until now. I think it's really clever how this design combines Lapras' two defining characteristics - its singing voice, and its ability to ferry people across water - so seamlessly. The ice particles also kind of look like they could be the waves that the ship is travelling through.

lapras-gigantamax.jpg
Celebrity_Solstice_in_Port_Melbourne,_Australia_Dec_2012_(01).jpg

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom