• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

New Dragon attack for Diamond/Pearl announced

黒い王様
Reaction score
  • Staff
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/New_dragon_attack_in_Diamond/Pearl

The winning entry submitted for the contest from CoroCoro Comic's January issue, giving people the chance to name the new Dragon Type attack in the Diamond and Pearl games has been announced in the May issue of CoroCoro, together with the statistics for this attack. The translation of this attack and its statistics are as follows.

* Name: Meteoric Swarm
* Attack Type: Dragon
* Base Power: 140
* Effect: (Your own) Special attack is reduced by 2 steps

Pie

Dead Again
Reaction score
Aren't Dragon moves Attack based, not Special Attack based? Because if so, holy cow, this attack is going to be a killer. X_x'

Definitely going to be a 5 PP move, though.

黒い王様
Reaction score
  • Staff
I believe they are Attack based, yes.

Pokémon Warlord
Reaction score
Dragon-type attacks are Special Attack based. It's confusing because all of the Dragon-types (Except for maybe Dragonite, and possibly Kingdra) so far have had better Attack stats than Special Attack. (And the fact that Dragon Dance raises Attack and Speed doesn't help matters.)

Finally, we get the name. It sounds pretty cool. Maybe there will be a Dragon in D/P that will have a Special Attack stat high enough to make it a danger in gameplay.

黒い王様
Reaction score
  • Staff
I'll elaborate on this in Bulbacast 10, but there's a good chance that the legendaries for this new generation will be Dragon type, so I'd say we should have one which has those kinds of stats.

Hmm, that's a wonderful idea!
Reaction score
It's a Dragon-type Overheat. And yes, Dragon type moves are special.

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
I usually don't bother with any Dragon pokemon, and I've only had one pokemon in my team that can learn a Dragon move without it being HP. I don't think this is a move I'll have to worry about, but I guess it makes sense to give the Dragons a bit more power. I don't know.

Reaction score
atleast it shows that they care a little about what fans want, but it still isn't anything that major

Pie

Dead Again
Reaction score
Okay, so it's Special Attack and therefore not an OMG RAPE level move. But still, given how good Dragon types and their moves are already, daaaang. I'm actually sort of scared...

Reaction score
Pie said:
Okay, so it's Special Attack and therefore not an OMG RAPE level move. But still, given how good Dragon types and their moves are already, daaaang. I'm actually sort of scared...
its good that they're introducing a strong dragon attack because the only ones with more attack power than 70 is Dragon Claw and Outrage, of course dragon dance is pretty good.

Pumpkin Master
Reaction score
Yay for a new dragon move. I train dragon themed teams, so it's always nice to have more options. But it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I would use, since I generally prefer less high powered moves with more accuracy over the more powerful ones with drawbacks. Flamethrower > Fire Blast and all that.

What exactly do meteors have to do with Dragons anyway?

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
Coceptually, I think Dragon should be Attack and Ghost be Special, not vice versa.

Reaction score
Joey said:
Not much except that they're like mythical i guess. It was jsut some reader's suggestion. It reminds me too much of Meteor Mash which is what, Steel

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
They're impressive and linked to nature. In eastern cultures, that's enough to link it to dragons.

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The study of weather is called meteorology. Since dragons are often tied to the weather in eastern legends, it makes sense. I wonder this means means we'll get a true eastern based dragon.

Normal Pieomon
Reaction score
140 powered "Overheat" for Dragons now? Well, at least they have a dragon move that actualy deals real damage now. D-Claw and Dragon Breath don't get much showtime since their primary users would rather Earthquake and Dragon Dance.

Matt the Drat
Reaction score
Maybe Kingdra can get it, seeing how it has no movepool anyway, and only one Dragon move, Dragonbreath, that's pathetic on it anyway. :p

Can I get an encore?
Reaction score
This is not going to change anything, at all.

Just like Psycho Boost has not affected the metagame, for the most part--nor has Overheat.

Normal Pieomon
Reaction score
Hasn't Overheat appeared in many movesets as a part of a mixed moveset? (Put attack EVs but have Overheat as the sole Special move)

黒い王様
Reaction score
The Big Al said:
The study of weather is called meteorology. Since dragons are often tied to the weather in eastern legends, it makes sense. I wonder this means means we'll get a true eastern based dragon.
Given that the legendary trio of the next games are likely Dragons, if they follow the existing pattern, I'd be surprised if we didn't.