• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Dragon attack for Diamond/Pearl announced

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/New_dragon_attack_in_Diamond/Pearl

The winning entry submitted for the contest from CoroCoro Comic's January issue, giving people the chance to name the new Dragon Type attack in the Diamond and Pearl games has been announced in the May issue of CoroCoro, together with the statistics for this attack. The translation of this attack and its statistics are as follows.

* Name: Meteoric Swarm
* Attack Type: Dragon
* Base Power: 140
* Effect: (Your own) Special attack is reduced by 2 steps

Aren't Dragon moves Attack based, not Special Attack based? Because if so, holy cow, this attack is going to be a killer. X_x'

Definitely going to be a 5 PP move, though.

Dragon-type attacks are Special Attack based. It's confusing because all of the Dragon-types (Except for maybe Dragonite, and possibly Kingdra) so far have had better Attack stats than Special Attack. (And the fact that Dragon Dance raises Attack and Speed doesn't help matters.)

Finally, we get the name. It sounds pretty cool. Maybe there will be a Dragon in D/P that will have a Special Attack stat high enough to make it a danger in gameplay.

I usually don't bother with any Dragon pokemon, and I've only had one pokemon in my team that can learn a Dragon move without it being HP. I don't think this is a move I'll have to worry about, but I guess it makes sense to give the Dragons a bit more power. I don't know.

atleast it shows that they care a little about what fans want, but it still isn't anything that major

Okay, so it's Special Attack and therefore not an OMG RAPE level move. But still, given how good Dragon types and their moves are already, daaaang. I'm actually sort of scared...

Pie said:
Okay, so it's Special Attack and therefore not an OMG RAPE level move. But still, given how good Dragon types and their moves are already, daaaang. I'm actually sort of scared...
its good that they're introducing a strong dragon attack because the only ones with more attack power than 70 is Dragon Claw and Outrage, of course dragon dance is pretty good.

Yay for a new dragon move. I train dragon themed teams, so it's always nice to have more options. But it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I would use, since I generally prefer less high powered moves with more accuracy over the more powerful ones with drawbacks. Flamethrower > Fire Blast and all that.

What exactly do meteors have to do with Dragons anyway?

Coceptually, I think Dragon should be Attack and Ghost be Special, not vice versa.

Joey said:
Not much except that they're like mythical i guess. It was jsut some reader's suggestion. It reminds me too much of Meteor Mash which is what, Steel

They're impressive and linked to nature. In eastern cultures, that's enough to link it to dragons.

The study of weather is called meteorology. Since dragons are often tied to the weather in eastern legends, it makes sense. I wonder this means means we'll get a true eastern based dragon.

140 powered "Overheat" for Dragons now? Well, at least they have a dragon move that actualy deals real damage now. D-Claw and Dragon Breath don't get much showtime since their primary users would rather Earthquake and Dragon Dance.

Maybe Kingdra can get it, seeing how it has no movepool anyway, and only one Dragon move, Dragonbreath, that's pathetic on it anyway. :p

This is not going to change anything, at all.

Just like Psycho Boost has not affected the metagame, for the most part--nor has Overheat.

Hasn't Overheat appeared in many movesets as a part of a mixed moveset? (Put attack EVs but have Overheat as the sole Special move)

The Big Al said:
The study of weather is called meteorology. Since dragons are often tied to the weather in eastern legends, it makes sense. I wonder this means means we'll get a true eastern based dragon.

Given that the legendary trio of the next games are likely Dragons, if they follow the existing pattern, I'd be surprised if we didn't.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom