• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Dragon-types

AceTrainerAlvaro

Reaction score
> As of Generation IV, there are nineteen Pokémon with the Dragon-type in total (one more than the Ghost-type), making the Dragon-type the Pokémon type with the second fewest number of Pokémon. I suppose this emphasizes the rarity of the Dragon-type. However, there are many more dragon-like Pokémon including Charizard, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Seviper, and Sceptile. Although I realize that being a Dragon-type Pokémon entails some kind of mythos behind the basis for that Pokémon, there are Pokémon that would be suitable as Dragon-types. I do not suggest Sceptile, or Seviper because they have real-world counterparts (snakes, lizards – albeit oversized) and Sceptile would become more susceptible to Ice-type moves too. However, Charizard and Aerodactyl can be conceived as inspired by flying reptiles (note that ever pterosaurs and the like were not actually dinosaurs) which are in essence, dragons. Unfortunately, they would need to give up their secondary Flying-type to take up the Dragon-type, sacrificing their immunity to Ground-type moves. Furthermore, as a starter Pokémon, Charizard cannot give up its ability Blaze for Levitate while Pressure is arguably as advantageous an ability to Aerodactyl as Levitate would be. Of course, Gyrarados would benefit from swapping its infamous secondary Flying-type for the Dragon-type, but this would make Gyarados (obtained from a relatively low level) a very tough foe to defeat early in the Pokémon games. However, Dunsparce would be a great addition to the Dragon-type family. Dunsparce is a relatively rare Pokémon based on mythical serpentine creatures, especially the Feathered Serpent, a prominent deity or supernatural being in many Mesoamerican religions.

Disclaimer: It is debatable as to what can be considered a Dragon-type. For the most part, I consider Dragon types to be based on reptilian, often winged, creatures from Western folklore, so one can see my bias as to what I consider a dragon. However, Altaria, a bird-like Dragon-type, certainly stands outside this standard (why is it considered a Dragon-type?).

> Although it is based on the oarfish, Milotic would also be a great addition to the Dragon-type family. Milotic, a relatively rare serpentine (in terms of body shape) Pokémon, already has very high base stats and its primary Water-type would grant it great defense against Ice-type moves as in Kingdra.

We don't need to change any pokemon typings. What we need is a Frost Dragon.

There are no presently existing pokemon that need to have their types changed to Dragon. What needs to happen is that, in subsequent generations, the Dragon type needs to be paired with types other than Flying, Ground, and Water. Dialga and Giratina, from this generation, were excellent examples of this. Some types that I think should be paired with Dragon are Fire, Electric, Ice, Grass, Rock, Psychic, Dark, and possibly even Normal.

THE DARK DRAGON! MORE DANGEROUS THAT THE ENTIRE HUNTSCLAN COMBINED!

Sorry, wrong show.

But that would be cool actually. The only dragon able to be taken down by a bug.

Actually, why don't we have a fire dragon yet?

THE DARK DRAGON! MORE DANGEROUS THAT THE ENTIRE HUNTSCLAN COMBINED!

Sorry, wrong show.

But that would be cool actually. The only dragon able to be taken down by a bug.

Actually, why don't we have a fire dragon yet?

Lol, that would be cool.

The concept of dragons and fire being so closely linked is actually a very Western concept. Asian dragons are typically associated with water, instead of fire, as in Europe and the West. Perhaps what we see as an 'obvious' connection simply hasn't occurred to the designers.

I actually created a Fire/Dragon typed line of Fakemon...

Drame (pronounced: Drah-meh), the Dragonflame pokemon: Fire/Flying
Ability: Flash Fire
Description: Drame is based on the typical western idea of a dragon, with a long neck and body, a horse-like head, four legs, wings, and a tail. However, being that it is the basic form, the wings are very small, and almost incapable of actually carrying it in flight. It has rounded facial features and slightly oversized paws, indicating it's youth and inexperience. It's more likely to breathe puffs of smoke than real fire, though it has a vice-like bite. It would only learn a couple Fire-type moves, like Ember and Fire Fang, and maybe Wing Attack for a Flying move, but many of it's moves would be Normal or status moves. It generally has a loving, playful temperament. It's name is a combination of the words "dragon" and "flame"; it evolves into Wyvurn at level 30.

Wyvurn (pronounced: Wev-urn), the Poisonflame pokemon: Fire/Flying
Ability: Flash Fire
Description: Wyvurn is based on the Wyvern -- a dragon that, instead of four legs, has only two legs and a pair of wings in place of it's "arms". Unlike it's pre-evolution, Wyvurn has a vicious temperament, and has also obtained highly skilled flying abilities. Wyvurn can learn stronger Fire and Flying attacks (such as Flamethrower and Aerial Ace), and since many legends show Wyverns with the ability to spit poison, Wyvurn can also learn many poison techniques, such as Poison Fang/Sting/Tail, Acid, and Gunk Shot. It has very sharp, chiseled features, and wickedly sharp claws on it's strong back legs. Much like that of a Houndoom, it is said that a burn inflicted by a Wyvurn will never fully heal, but this is likely due to Wyvurn's poisonous attributes. It's name is a combination of the words "Wyvern" and "burn"; it evolves into Liung at level 55.

Liung (pronounced: Lee-ung): the Dragon Lore pokemon: Fire/Dragon
Ability: Levitate
Description: Liung's physiology is heavily influenced by the Chinese lung dragon (also known as the Lion Dragon); it has a long, low body with four legs, and has completely lost the wings it had in it's previous evolutionary forms. However, it has retained the ability to fly. It is covered with 117 scales total - 81 infused with yang, the good, and 36 infused with yin the bad, and these scales are a glorious, glittering red. The 'yin,' of Drame and the 'yang' of Wyvurn combined to make an enlightened, balanced pokemon with an even temper and much knowledge. The 'mane' around it's neck and 'feathers' on the tail are golden, as are it's feet, eyes, horns, and the ridge along it's back (if anyone wants a visual of what a lung looks like, picture the giant costumes often worn around Chinese New Year, where several people make a large dragon move, often in parades. Or, look at this picture). It is often observed gripping a golden orb in one of it's front paws, which is said to contain all the lore and legends of the world. It is also said that this pokemon first gave humans the capabilities of speech, and taught them the secret of writing; it is known as the 'keeper of the tales' in many cultures. It can learn many powerful Fire-type and Dragon-type moves, such as Fire Blast, Outrage, and Draco Meteor. It is also capable of learning several status moves, like Dragon Dance, as well as many moves of other types, such as Focus Blast, Psychic, and even Water- and Ice-type moves like Surf and Ice Beam. It's name is a combination of "Lion" and "lung" (as in, the lung dragon).

Last edited:
The only correct answer would be Fighting/Dragon. Dual STAB Outrage/Draco Meteor and Close Combat that's only walled by Shedinja? Yes, please.

We don't need to change the types of the old Pokemon to Dragons, like said before (although i would love for Charizard to be part Dragon), but i agree by far that there needs to be more Dragon Pokemon, they need to make at least one for each other type that has not been made already, Dark, Electric, Grass, Ice, Fire, Bug, Poison, Rock, im not a whole lot sure about a Fighting/Dragon type but it might work and i suppose a normal one aswell. Thats all im saying

P.s. all the bold types are the ones i want to see real bad

If they create a Ice/Dragon that thing will probably be listed as Uber

Not necessarily. An Ice Dragon would have a ton of very common weaknesses (Fighting, Dragon, Rock, hell, even Steel)

It would all depend on it's movepool and stat distribution. If these can effectively offset it's typing, then yes, he might be Uber. If they can't, he could even be in NU

Not necessarily. An Ice Dragon would have a ton of very common weaknesses (Fighting, Dragon, Rock, hell, even Steel)

It would all depend on it's movepool and stat distribution. If these can effectively offset it's typing, then yes, he might be Uber. If they can't, he could even be in NU

lol when I wrote that I wasn't thinking about the Ice weakness, you're right it probably would be NU ._.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom