• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Ending: DreaDrea by Shoko Nakagawa

B0FJtDDIcAApPYc.jpg:large

Wowzers, Ending Director Owada Jun must be a big fan of Idol M@ster. This new ending animation definitely felt like it was paying tribute to the recent influx of idol and dancing series. With Head Writer Tomioka Atsuhiro also the head writer of Tribe Cool Crew I hope we see some of those dancing elements make their way over to Pocket Monster XY. If the production staff can lure some of the great dance animators to this series we would be in for a truly awesome set of episodes for Serena. Now I really want Kouno Megumi to do key animation for Pocket Monster XY!

..That's way too cliche for my personal taste, though I won't complain about her finally getting some very well-needed attention to do something about that incredibly lackluster personality. I liked the scene at the end though, that was really cute.

Like i said somewhere else.

Being different and outgoing can be sometimes plus and beneficial for characters or anime. But this time i feel it was opposite with new ending focused on Serena not appealing to me in slightest. It was too sappy and cheesy for my taste.

They didnt joked when they said ending focused on Serena will be girliest song in pokemon ever.
This ending didnt even seemed like it came from pokemon, aside from pet like Fennekin and Pancham dressed in colorful clothes.
It was basically pokemon equivalent of real life idol displaying enthusiastic, happy go lucky girl singing, dancing with pokemon in various pretty dresses trying to look as cute and adorable as possible. Surrounded with lollipops, chocolate, sparkly features and flashy objects like Serena is living in Utopia world, some sort of lala land where nothing could possibly go wrong.

Music, coerography, setting, basically everything was like watching audition for pop star which i dont find to be positive thing.

Like it was used from some magical girl anime focused on magic, love and fantasy. Which can be found in plenty of shows out there which built fame and recognition through such genre like Pretty Cure, Sailor Moon, Aikatsu, Cardcaptor Sakura and many others.

Portraying pokemon world like magical land full of candies, rainbows, happiness and sugar coated adventure(literally in this song).
Place where there is no room for tension, abit of drama element, action packed moments and sense of danger(correecting myself; some magical girl anime have this, unlike current poke series).

However this isnt something im looking to have from pokemon.

Anime known for all kind of creatures, mysteries, battles, unpredictable adventure, more versatile personification and dash of maturity, urgency present in there. Where not everything will be always bright and according to plan, where both good and bad moments will happen teaching you how to deal with danger, obstacles and various tasks, be resourceful and get yourself out of bad situations learning from past mistakes and situations. Having to adapt and grow from it if you want to have chance to succeed.

Rather than soap opera derived from some other shoujo anime full of sparkles, romance and sweet interactions lacking any sort of variety, realistic approach toward it.

This ending emphasized on it even more wuith Kalos series starting to change everything pokemon anime stood for, but hardly in good way in my opinion.

Now i dont want to be guy who rains on anyone parade and those who are enthusiastic and supportive of this type of strategy from pokemon staff. More power to them. But personaly im disappointed with ending and possible direction in which this anime is going.

Last edited:
I agree on pokemon fan about this ending portraying everything like if it was taken from a girly and sweet magical girl anime. However, my opinion is the complete opposite; I love that. I don't think this is a direction this anime as a whole could go (I wouldn't like it that way either), so I'm leaving that aside.

I like the ending sequence because it shows everything from such a different point of view, which is really fitting for its thematic: a dream. It's all about what Serena wants to accomplish some day, serving as well as kind of a victory theme for her finally setting for a goal, all while also making everything just a literal dream Serena is having while asleep. Perhaps it's not the first time I've seen that, but I think it's a pretty clever portrayal. For that reason, I don't think it's bad that they showed only sugar and happiness here, even though I'm not much of a fan of girly female characters and their overly girly stuff.

This ending is... very different...
It doesn't look like your standard Pokémon ending at all. It looks like if it was made for some other anime. And to be honest... I REALLY LIKED THAT!
The animation is great, and from correct me if I'm wrong (my Japanese is still very basic), but are the lyrics about seeing your dreams?... because that's fantastic (edit: listening more closely, and reading the lyrics again, it's more like "the power of dreams"... which makes this even BETTER). Serena is finally getting to somewhere, and this ending shows it. The first moment I saw it, I even thought it could work as an opening. Perhaps they could use a remixed version as an opening for a short arc focusing on Serena. After that, they could keep using a regular opening.
IMO, this is one of the best Pokémon endings ever.

@pokemon fan 132
I think that we see in the ending is supposed to be Serena's dream, so that's why everything is sugar coated and everyone is happy. As you know, dreams don't have to be realistic :p
I'm not a fan of girly things, and sure, this ending is very girly, but I don't even mind that they made it like that, because it was actually very well made (when they do girly things just for the sake of doing them, it's very noticeable, because it's usually made with lower quality).

May and Dawn's endings were very different. They tell more about their personalities and goals, rather than their dreams and hopes.

I was actually starting to think of XY as just a 'slightly-better-than-average' series, but this ending, along with today's episode, made me realize that a lot of cool moments will happen in the next couple of years.

With Head Writer Tomioka Atsuhiro also the head writer of Tribe Cool Crew I hope we see some of those dancing elements make their way over to Pocket Monster XY.

Ah, this could be why there's so much dancing-related stuff in Pokemon lately.

Not gonna lie, I teared up at the final scene of this ending.

With Head Writer Tomioka Atsuhiro also the head writer of Tribe Cool Crew I hope we see some of those dancing elements make their way over to Pocket Monster XY.

Ah, this could be why there's so much dancing-related stuff in Pokemon lately.

Not gonna lie, I teared up at the final scene of this ending.

There's that, but there is also the fact that dancing and idol series have been popular with fans and staff as of late.

One word to describe this ending:

Shocking

P.S.: The ED are more suitable for opening IMO

I really liked the ending. I didn't mind the different animation style and the entire thing being Serena dancing was actually pretty fitting for her imo. After all, her goal is to perform with her Pokemon. I'm just more excited to see where she goes in the future.

Is it weird that when I first heard about this, I thought it will implement 3D CGI dancing like what is very popular with current shoujo anime like Aikatsu and Precure? I thought it was pretty cute and was a nice change of pace with Pokemon endings.

I saw that some expressed some here dismay over Shoko singing *Serena's* song before it aired. It looks like Mayuki Makiguchi doesn't sing at all (or I'm guessing not too often), so Shoko took over for her to sing her character's song. I mean, who else would you guys recommend to sing Serena's song anyway if not Shoko or Mayuki?

Is it weird that when I first heard about this, I thought it will implement 3D CGI dancing like what is very popular with current shoujo anime like Aikatsu and Precure? I thought it was pretty cute and was a nice change of pace with Pokemon endings.

I saw that some expressed some here dismay over Shoko singing *Serena's* song before it aired. It looks like Mayuki Makiguchi doesn't sing at all (or I'm guessing not too often), so Shoko took over for her to sing her character's song. I mean, who else would you guys recommend to sing Serena's song anyway if not Shoko or Mayuki?

There might be a Serena version of DreaDrea down the line. This is also not the first time where a main character's theme is not initially sung by the character's seiyuu (e.g. "By Your Side" being sung by Grin first, then eventually sung by Megumi Toyoguchi).

Nakagawa Shouko is one of the big faces associated with the series, so it's not a surprise she would sing one of the songs for the series.

This is also not the first time where a main character's theme is not initially sung by the character's seiyuu (e.g. "By Your Side" being sung by Grin first, then eventually sung by Megumi Toyoguchi).

Which really makes you wonder why they didn't let her sing it in the first place. Also, that version was only used in the actual show ONCE during a battle scene with lots of talking and noise over it... that's just sad.
As far as I'm concerned, a character's theme song should always be sung by their VA. Maybe unless the VA absolutely can't sing at all, but evidently that wasn't the case for Dawn and while I don't know much about Serena's VA I'm willing to bet she probably CAN sing and like with Dawn there's some other awkward reason that eludes me that made them decide not to let her sing it.

It is kind of a mystery sometimes why the VA doesn't get to sing, but common reasons probably include everything from the composer's artistic intent to convenience to record label politics. Personally, I think there are songs best left to other singers rather than the VA. Veronica Taylor's a good singer, but I don't think she could have carried "We're a Miracle". Granted, that was a pre-existing song (another reason for the VA not always getting the job), but I think it's still a valid example.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom