• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

new epi title!!

Haunter's Domain

Reaction score
"Got a New Episode Title Guys

Episode 422: Hand-to-Hand Fighting Dojo! Ash VS May!

*awaits all the Primeape is coming back posts"
From Serebii Joe.
He edited it a couple times. I dont think anyone saw it before he edited it except me though. He said before that it was called "Grapple gym!Ash vs. May" then he edited it to this title but, he left a setence saying the Grapple gym is where he thinks Primeape is from then he edited it again after I said something to what is up above. So I'm copnfused as to where he even got the Grapple gym part. Edit i talked to Serebii Joe he sai it was an error on his part and that yami ron quickly corrected it. He was joking around about the primeape thing.
All I'll say about Primeape returning is
Haunter/Saffron gym > Primeape/grapple gym

Last edited:
*wishes people would reference the Japanese originals*

Pokéani says: 格闘道場!サトシVSハルカ!

格闘 kakutō - fighting hand-to-hand, grappling... or, more appropriately in a Pokémon context - Fighting (type).
道場 dōjō - a dojo - a hall for martial arts training.

I'm not sure whether or not Primeape was left at such a place.

However, this is quite without a doubt that other "gym" in Saffron...

Don't even need to type, just copy and paste as you would français or München.

And clearly the OP (Serebii) would know what to copy and paste, since he has to translate it in the first place...

Zhen Lin said:
However, this is quite without a doubt that other "gym" in Saffron...
Which wasn't in the anime the last time they were in Saffron. Should be interesting though.

Belldandy said:
Which wasn't in the anime the last time they were in Saffron.
Since when do the writers care about things like that? :p

This looks interesting. Haven't had a "the main characters fight each other" ep in a while...

Zhen Lin said:
Don't even need to type, just copy and paste as you would français or München.
It could show up as ?s for some people. :p

Anyone with a newer version of Windows has the ability to type in Japanese characters. It's built into the system with an input method editor. The user selects Japanese and character preference in the language section of the toolbar (when enabled) and simply types phonetically. For example, typing what we English-speakers know as Satoshi would result in its Japanese counterpart, サトシ.

In the Control Panel, click Regional and Language Options. On the Languages tab, click Details... Then you should see English as your default. Click Add... Find Japanese, and use that with something that says Japanese Input System (MS-IME 2002). That's what I did, at least.

This is the perfect time for a Primape Cameo. Bring it on!

Also, Ash Vs May should be pretty interesting - now that they've both transgressed through their respective tournaments.

I was thinking about the "Hand-to-Hand Combat" part...I wonder if this dojo has battles that are strictly hand-to-hand, like the battle Combusken and Breloom had. If so, since those two did it on their own, it'll be interesting to see Ash and May conduct a battle without using any traditional attacks.

And Ash would use Grovyle.

Since it's the only Pokemon (other than Primape) that could stand a chance, or in fact be able to compete hand-to-hand for that matter...

Or bring out Heracross from Oak's. Or heck, even Snorlax. Remember that Johto ep where Snorlax was in a wrestling competition?

Nice title, yeah I would suspect May would be using Combusken for this one, as for Ash well, a range of options although I am doubting a Primeape return, it's been so long since we last saw it.

Geodude said:
I was thinking about the "Hand-to-Hand Combat" part...I wonder if this dojo has battles that are strictly hand-to-hand, like the battle Combusken and Breloom had. If so, since those two did it on their own, it'll be interesting to see Ash and May conduct a battle without using any traditional attacks.

Mm, kinda doubt it, as "kakutou" is the japanese equalient of "fighting" when it cmes to pokemon types. I guess the title is referring to this type.

I was thinking about this today and for some reason i thought maybe Saffron would redo the P1 where the primape guy (to lazy to look up his name) would return and let ash enter with Primape and May'd use combusken ending with both of them in the finals and ash winning but thats just a dream....

Anyway sounds interesting i'm praying for a Primape cameo i mean *shudders* we were forced through yet ANOTHER Charizard cameo and hes in Johto *finishes shuddering and sighs* one day the writters will learn what the fans want but i fear i will die of old age before then.....

Just for the record, the "other gym" in Yamabuki was indeed called the Kakutou Doujou in the japanese version of the game. The title IS referring to it.

This means that the "hand-to-hand"/"grappling"/whatever translations must simply be ignored. The title is simply referring to a building in the game.

Ah, and for the record, Okorizaru was left behind at the Toukon Gym, which was made up by the writers. It's not gonna be in this episode.

Last edited:
People travel around, and it is a nearby important Gym.

We can dream, can't we?

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom