• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Evolution Methods in B/W?

Ron ~ デリバード

Fresh since '89
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

One of the things that I don't think has been discussed a lot is whether GF are going to introduce any new methods of evolution in Gen V. Obviously we've got plenty already, including location-based evolution and levelling up with a specific Pokémon in your party, and I'm not saying any new evolution methods are needed, I just wonder if you think any will be introduced, and if so, what would you like to see?

Personally I'd like to see certain evolutions only in certain weather conditions. To me it seems like a natural progression from day/night evolutions but idk

Well, I assume that if there is an Eevee Evolution, there will be a unique way to obtain it.

Hasn't it been confirmed the Zorua evolves with a new method of evoltion that we dont know yet?

I am betting a new eeveelution and Zoroark will share the same new evo method.

Evolution through unhappiness. You have to lower the Pokemon's happiness to a certain level before it evolves. Maybe a split evolution line where if your kind to your Pokemon it evolves one way, if you are bad to it then it evolves into something different?

This actually has been discussed a lot. When Zoroark/Zorua was revealed, it was the main topic of conversation. I recall a big pow-wow on unhappiness evolutions.

I'm not a fan of the unhappiness idea.

I like the idea of having a place where you would need to solve a puzzle in a shrine/cave to evolve a certain pokemon, but I don't really think it would work.

Evolution through unhappiness. You have to lower the Pokemon's happiness to a certain level before it evolves. Maybe a split evolution line where if your kind to your Pokemon it evolves one way, if you are bad to it then it evolves into something different?

No. No. No.

1. Encourages mistreatment of your pokemon (i.e. pets/partners)
2. The games constantly plug the whole, "Treat your pokemon with kindness" angle.
3. This is a dick way to evolve your pokemon.
4. It's the evil teams and Silver who use said dick moves. And Silver grows out of it.

Frienship and teamwork are the main morales of Pokemon. Evolving from unhappiness is not friendly.

No. No. No.

1. Encourages mistreatment of your pokemon (i.e. pets/partners)
2. The games constantly plug the whole, "Treat your pokemon with kindness" angle.
3. This is a dick way to evolve your pokemon.
4. It's the evil teams and Silver who use said dick moves. And Silver grows out of it.

Frienship and teamwork are the main morales of Pokemon. Evolving from unhappiness is not friendly.

perhaps, it needs a certain level of happiness to evolve in a different form otherwise if it is happy but hasn't reached x amount of happiness it evolves in a different form?

perhaps, it needs a certain level of happiness to evolve in a different form otherwise if it is happy but hasn't reached x amount of happiness it evolves in a different form?

That's like feeding your dog once a week.

Unhappiness doesn't work:

See Ryuu's post.

This actually has been discussed a lot. When Zoroark/Zorua was revealed, it was the main topic of conversation. I recall a big pow-wow on unhappiness evolutions.

You know, now that I think about it, I think Happiness was used in a Digimon game, and it's counterpart was not Unhappiness or Sadness. It was Discipline.

It was represented as a bar, closer the the left, more disciplined, closer to the right, happier.

I think that would translate well here, though a few things would have to change. Mostly, statements based on the Pokemon. But the numbers would still work, as far as I can tell.

I doubt this would happen in this next Gen, it would be something neat to see though.

unhappiness wouldn't work because when you walk a certain amount of steps they get happier and if they level up they get happier so it couldn't work.

The unhappy evolution could be not as strong as the happy evolution to highlight it's better to be nicer to your Pokemon as then they will become stronger. For example in Digimon if you were cruel to your Pokemon it would evolve into Numemon who was litterally a walking piece of poo (only the Japanese could think of that). This would encourage kids to be nice to Pokemon in order to get the stronger evolution.

That's like feeding your dog once a week.

Unhappiness doesn't work:

See Ryuu's post.

"perhaps, it needs a certain level of happiness to evolve in a different form otherwise if it is happy but hasn't reached x amount of happiness it evolves in a different form?"

You're talking literally in black and white here… I didn't say that they were UNHAPPY rather "not max ultra mega happy a-la-ultra beautiful feebas".

Your analogy kinda fails. It's more like you feed your dog regularly / properly vs. stuffing your dog like a pig regularly.

I'm not splitting hairs on the eating habits of my fictitious dog, but to me, it comes down to your pokemon evolves as a result of max happiness, or it doesn't evolve. Since happiness is one of those things that's hard to control (i.e. walking increases happiness) I don't see this having a "gray" area.

I always liked the idea of a Pokémon with a branched evolution where both branches occur through simple level up. Here is how it would work!

"Puppydog reached level 24! Puppydog learned Eyes!
Puppydog is evolving! Puppydog evolved into Corgi!"

ALTERNATE VERSION

Puppydog wears an Everstone until 48...
"Puppydog reached level 48! Puppydog is evolving! Puppydog evolved into The Crushinator!"

But hasn't there only been one Everstone in each game? Unless they throw in a whole lot more, that wouldn't really work... unless the B-Button evolution stop works, too.

The unhappy evolution could be not as strong as the happy evolution to highlight it's better to be nicer to your Pokemon as then they will become stronger. For example in Digimon if you were cruel to your Pokemon it would evolve into Numemon who was litterally a walking piece of poo (only the Japanese could think of that). This would encourage kids to be nice to Pokemon in order to get the stronger evolution.

While not too bad of an idea, I think it would only work, if they created 17 new Pokemon one for each type, and no matter what Pokemon it was it would evolve into the new joke Pokemon that corresponds with the main type. Because I'm not sure it could work with a few selected Pokemon, it would have to be a punishment for all "mistreated" Pokemon.

The problem though is Pokemon are biological creatures, it works with Digimon, because they're digital, and could digivolve into anything (basically). The 17 new Pokemon would have to extremely generic looking, that would make sense for any not evolved Pokemon to evolve into them if their happiness is extremely low. Even something like Magikarp to Buizel evolving into some weak generic water type.

our analogy kinda fails. It's more like you feed your dog regularly / properly vs. stuffing your dog like a pig regularly.

Just a quick question, how do we know that treating your Pokemon the right way, makes it happy? I ask because there are some examples in the anime where a spoiled Pokemon was unhappy because it was too spoiled and the trainer wouldn't let it be active.

What if they incorporate that into the games, with what looks like evolution from unhappiness but is quite the opposite. A Pokemon that gets happy because it's not spoiled and feels like its being treated equally among its traveling partners. So giving it medicinal herbs, or other ways to lower happiness actually has the opposite effect, while rare candies, stat boosting drinks actually cause it to be unhappy.

If you don't like that reason, then why not have it be because the Pokemon can only eat/drink natural items (the herbs for example), and its "allergic" to man made items, like rare candies and stuff. Granted they'd probably need to create some a lot items as well such as natural potions and maybe a group of natural ingredients that can be substituted for the stat boosting drinks, which would probably cost more than the normal 9800 Pokedollars.

But hasn't there only been one Everstone in each game? Unless they throw in a whole lot more, that wouldn't really work... unless the B-Button evolution stop works, too.

I think it's only given to you once, but it's not like the amulet coin, you can actually get a whole bunch without even knowing it. Since I think you can find it on Geodude, it was a very common item in the underground in Sinnoh.

Unless I'm not understanding what your asking.

Of course reading Keegman's post Keegman didn't mean an everstone evolution, but just to stop it from evolving up until that level.

Back
Top Bottom