• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • We're launching a brand new series on the official Bulbagarden YouTube Channel! Watch here as AussieEevee attempts the Nuzlocke Challenge in HeartGold.
  • The forums' software will be updated on December 9th, 2019 and may be down for several hours to multiple days for this process. Thank you for your patience, we hope this update will improve your experience here.

Why not join us over on discord during the downtime?

New Fizz City: The Metropolitan Zone

Reaction score
Myahoo:

Rotom looks at you briefly, seemingly confused. Your orders, understandably pained and desperate given your uncomfortable situation, were hardly specific - and Rotom was used to operating under specific instructions. "Distracting people and busting open doors" were rarely ever assignments C gave the small immaterial ghost...

Before Rotom has time to formulate a plan on its own, Shady Guy is quick on the uptake - he knows his back is against the wall, if only metaphorically (while yours is literally, come to think of it). Throh's muscles expand as he Bulks Up, while the man in the fedora tauntingly waves the key to the collar room door in his hand.

"Good luck trying to break out, kid" he says with a smirk, amused that you think a Rotom can get any actual doors open. "Trust me, the second that bitch attempts to force her way inside, I'll have Throh snap your spine in half. Your bargaining worth might go down, but the sound it'll make is gonna fill my fucking soul with joy."

The Fighting-Type lunges at Rotom, who is still trying to figure out how it is supposed to distract someone who is looking straight at the two of you. Throh's hands become enveloped in darkness, which in turn allow him to grab the phantom, and Brutally Swing it straight into the same wall it had tossed you against just minutes earlier!

Rotom falls right in front of you, dazed and hurt. If you want to make it out of this, you'll have to assume a more direct role in guiding the Electric ghost, even though you've never had a Pokemon to your name!

It's do or die now!

Reaction score
Myahoo:

Rotom looks at you briefly, seemingly confused. Your orders, understandably pained and desperate given your uncomfortable situation, were hardly specific - and Rotom was used to operating under specific instructions. "Distracting people and busting open doors" were rarely ever assignments C gave the small immaterial ghost...

Before Rotom has time to formulate a plan on its own, Shady Guy is quick on the uptake - he knows his back is against the wall, if only metaphorically (while yours is literally, come to think of it). Throh's muscles expand as he Bulks Up, while the man in the fedora tauntingly waves the key to the collar room door in his hand.

"Good luck trying to break out, kid" he says with a smirk, amused that you think a Rotom can get any actual doors open. "Trust me, the second that bitch attempts to force her way inside, I'll have Throh snap your spine in half. Your bargaining worth might go down, but the sound it'll make is gonna fill my fucking soul with joy."

The Fighting-Type lunges at Rotom, who is still trying to figure out how it is supposed to distract someone who is looking straight at the two of you. Throh's hands become enveloped in darkness, which in turn allow him to grab the phantom, and Brutally Swing it straight into the same wall it had tossed you against just minutes earlier!

Rotom falls right in front of you, dazed and hurt. If you want to make it out of this, you'll have to assume a more direct role in guiding the Electric ghost, even though you've never had a Pokemon to your name!

It's do or die now!
When all he got was a confused look, Aiden closed his eyes for a beat and cursed again. Right. Pokémon had that whole can't/won't think for themselves in a fight thing. Shit. What could Rotom do?

The Fighting-type seemed to grow bigger as Fucking Asshole waved the key to the door tauntingly. "Good luck trying to break out, kid," he said with a smirk. "Trust me, the second that bitch attempts to force her way inside, I'll have Throh snap your spine in half. Your bargaining worth might go down, but the sound it'll make is gonna fill my fucking soul with joy."

"Bastard." Aiden bared his teeth almost absentmindedly as he scrambled to piece together some kind of plan to get himself out of here. He flinched as the Fighting-type abruptly reached out and grabbed the Rotom, tossing it into the same wall Aiden himself had hit moments earlier.

Shit! That was, this was...he hadn't really thought this through, had he. Rotom fell to the ground in front of him and Aiden dragged his scattered thoughts into some semblance of order. Okay. Okay. Rotom was Ghost and Electric. What were some useful Ghost and/or Electric type moves he knew? Something that could hit both of them and distract them for long enough to get the door open.

"Shit. Sorry. This is...my first battle," he told it. "Uh, can you Charge? Then...maybe..."--shit, was it Discharge or Shock Wave? Fuck it--"Discharge? Try to hit...both of them? And see...if you can...grab that key...from the asshole...and bring it back...to me?" At least with the key, he could maybe get Rotom to open the door and get its people's attention before things got too much worse.

Reaction score
Myahoo:

You can almost swear you saw Rotom roll its eyes once you admit to this being your first battle. Can the situation be any more dire?

"Oh, this is precious!" taunts the man once you reveal the truth. "I'm your first, then!"

Throh concentrates past his Trainer's jokes, revealing a degree of discipline you might not have expected from a Pokemon raised by this scumbag. The Fighting-Type walks over to Rotom, coating his arms with darkness once more for another Brutal Swing - but this time around, your impromptu partner is ready, and begins silently gathering energy while the lumbering foe approaches.

Once Throh's hand comes into contact with the plasma creature, a surge of lighting erupts from its tiny body, frying Throh in the discharge and narrowly missing the Trainer too, as the violent bolt crashes into... the door! It blows open in the ensuing explosion, sending Shady Guy tumbling to the floor as the room fills with smoke.

"Aiden? Aiden, are you in there?!"

The voice is familiar, but with a hint of uncertainty and apprehension you never heard before - C is looking for you! Before you can call out to her, however, the man rushes over the body of his fainted Throh and grabs you by the throat, forcibly lifting you up with one hand while the other retrieves a handgun from the inside of his trenchcoat and presses it against your abdomen.

"Fine, forget snapping your fucking spine. Either your friend does things my way, or I'll end it myself. At least I'll get the satisfaction."

It is then that a woman enters the room through the shattered door, coughing though the smoke and cinder in the air. Her hair is a golden blonde tone, and she's dressed in an elegant black two-piece suit. You've seen this woman before, of course... Plenty of times, in fact, but never in person. Cynthia of Sinnoh... She's "C"?!

The Champion suddenly freezes as she sees the scene before her, the criminal holding a gun to your gut and threatening to fire at any second.... Is there anything you can do?!

Reaction score
Myahoo:

You can almost swear you saw Rotom roll its eyes once you admit to this being your first battle. Can the situation be any more dire?

"Oh, this is precious!" taunts the man once you reveal the truth. "I'm your first, then!"

Throh concentrates past his Trainer's jokes, revealing a degree of discipline you might not have expected from a Pokemon raised by this scumbag. The Fighting-Type walks over to Rotom, coating his arms with darkness once more for another Brutal Swing - but this time around, your impromptu partner is ready, and begins silently gathering energy while the lumbering foe approaches.

Once Throh's hand comes into contact with the plasma creature, a surge of lighting erupts from its tiny body, frying Throh in the discharge and narrowly missing the Trainer too, as the violent bolt crashes into... the door! It blows open in the ensuing explosion, sending Shady Guy tumbling to the floor as the room fills with smoke.

The voice is familiar, but with a hint of uncertainty and apprehension you never heard before - C is looking for you! Before you can call out to her, however, the man rushes over the body of his fainted Throh and grabs you by the throat, forcibly lifting you up with one hand while the other retrieves a handgun from the inside of his trenchcoat and presses it against your abdomen.

"Fine, forget snapping your fucking spine. Either your friend does things my way, or I'll end it myself. At least I'll get the satisfaction."

It is then that a woman enters the room through the shattered door, coughing though the smoke and cinder in the air. Her hair is a golden blonde tone, and she's dressed in an elegant black two-piece suit. You've seen this woman before, of course... Plenty of times, in fact, but never in person. Cynthia of Sinnoh... She's "C"?!

The Champion suddenly freezes as she sees the scene before her, the criminal holding a gun to your gut and threatening to fire at any second.... Is there anything you can do?!
Aiden swore the frickin' Rotom rolled its eyes at him when he admitted this was his first battle. Like it was doing any better without instructions?

"Oh, this is precious!" Fucking Asshole couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut apparently. "I'm your first then!" Aiden made a face. Did he have to word it like that?

The Fighting-type was clearly more focused than its trainer, approaching Rotom for another attack. It brutally swung once again, only to get thrown back with a crackle-bang as Rotom Discharged a bolt of electricity. The attack just barely missed Fucking Asshole and Aiden hissed in momentary disappointment before the bolt blew the door off its hinges.

Aiden frowned and tried not to cough. That sounded like...C, maybe? Only they didn't sound super confident and in-charge. He sucked in a breath to try to call out, but didn't get the chance before Fucking Asshole scrambled to his feet and picked Aiden up by his throat.

Fuck! Aiden tried to curl up as his chest protested the movement, both hands going to the one around his neck. He barely registered the feel of something solid shoved against his stomach, too busy trying not to choke or cough.

"Fine, forget snapping your fucking spine." Was this asshole still talking? "Either your friend does things my way or I'll end it myself. At least I'll get the satisfaction."

Footsteps and coughs from the door caught his attention and Aiden almost choked at the person who showed up. C was Cynthia? Champion Cynthia? From Sinnoh? She froze as she clearly took in the scene and Aiden figured the Asshole was probably pointing a gun at him. Great. Just what he needed. A gunshot to the gut. His gaze drifted to Rotom and pointedly made eye contact. He flicked his eyes down then back up, hoping Rotom would get the idea to get the gun. If not, he supposed he could always just pinch Fucking Asshole as hard as he could and hopefully get the guy to drop him that way.

Reaction score
Myahoo:

If you don't act quick, you'll end up shot. As terrifying as that notion is, it's still the undeniable truth, and Cynthia, for all her accolades, is in no condition to help you from where she's standing; one false move on the part of the Champion and you know he's going to fire.

Then what can you do? You are in no condition of struggling out of the man's grasp, after the beating you took from Throh and your only ally is too far away to help! Except.... Cynthia is not your only ally! You quickçy realize it's all you can do at this point: you'll have to rely on Rotom, and hope to Arceus it gets the message this time around without you having shout instructions - for all its sass, you're right, it didn't fare off too much better without direct commands earlier.

Your eyes meet Rotom's, and it seems you have its attention. You try your hardest not to choke as you convey your silent message to the plasma critter, shifting your gaze to the man's pistol. Somehow, you need Rotom to get the gun - but how? It has no hands, it couldn't possibly overpower the man to pry the weapon out of his grasp... Even you could, you're not sure how you want Rotom to act... you just desperately know you need it to do something!

The following moments are tense. You feel the barrel press harder into your stomach while the man's grasp on your throat tightens. You feel light-headed, both from knowledge of impending death and the lack of blood flowing to your brain. But just when you're about to pass out, you spot a glimmer of light flash in the corner of your eye, followed by a scream and the hand on your throat letting go all of a sudden!

You realize then that Rotom did the only thing it could thing of - another swift Discharge, this time aimed at the man's hand. Electricity surrounded the weapon and, running through it, zapped the man's arm as well, causing him to drop the pistol and stumble backwards, clutching his hand in pain!

"Now! Garchomp!"

In a flash of light, a massive land shark emerged from Cynthia's PokeBall and jumped forward, tackling the man and pinning him to the ground, while Cynthia rushes to grab the pistol herself. She then walks over to you and helps you get back to your feet.

"Thank Arceus you're alright," she says with a sigh of relief. "Extremely well done Aiden. Say..."

She looks at the man struggling, to no avail, to break free from under her legendary Garchomp.

"... it'll be a couple more seconds before the police enter the room. You get one free shot if you want," she concludes with a coy smile and a flick of her golden hair.

↑ & ↓ & ↻
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

Whether you are motivated by the kindness of your heart of the certainty that this meeting is Slowking’s prophecy playing out, you bravely decide to step between the two sides of this quarrel before everything goes south. Clearly the Fennekin is the one in need of protection here, even if it was the one to cause this whole mess in the first place…

The Krabby snap their pincers frantically as you approach, a clear sign to “stay the hell away, or else”. Fennekin, too, seems upset at your interference, pacing around to find a clear angle at which to hit the Krabby again, but your legs are in the way…

The three Water-Types grow agitated as well. Torn between attacking you and hesitant to do so due to the massive difference in size between them and you, they approach slowly, pincers opening and closing repeatedly; you were half-hoping they would just let bygones by bygones and return to the sea, but they are actually making their way towards you, which reeeally isn’t a good sign…

Instinctively, you take a step back, having no Pokémon to protect yourself with… but just then, Fennekin runs ahead through your legs and blocks the Krabby’s path, growling as menacingly as it can. And then, you feel it – an unmistakable surge of mental energy welling up inside the tiny fox, as it prepares to launch a Psychic-Type attack! Fennekin focuses, eyes glowing a myriad colour in preparation for a Psybeam…. But nothing happens. It can’t use the move!

Realizing Fennekin is actually not as much of a threat as it pretended to be, one of the Krabby jumps forward and strikes the fox with its Vice Grip! Thankfully it doesn’t seem to have learned Water attacks yet, but Fennekin is still clearly hurt by the move… The golden fox focuses its mental powers again, and this time around summons a dome of Psychic Terrain…. Which disperses and vanishes as soon as it begins forming. It can’t use that move either…

This is going from bad to worse… Fennekin is completely reckless and will end up severely injured if things keep going like this! what will you do?!
Makoto's eyes widened with surprise. The pokemon was actually protecting him? Maybe this could resolve itself!

And then the psybeam failed. So did the psychic terrain. And now the krabbies were posed to beat this pokemon down!

He tried as he could to assess the situation. The krabbies had the type advantage against his prospective partner and strength in numbers. Without any strong moves at its disposal, the fox was bound to lose. There was one way to even the odds, however...

But before he could put it into action, his mind flooded with memories. Memories of a damaged sink. A solid toilet tank cover headed right for him. A toothbrush that nearly stabbed his eye. The cacophony of all the drawers and doors repeatedly slamming shut.

Then visions of the future assaulted his mind. He saw himself floating helplessly above the water. Branches swaying violently and snapping off of trees. Pincers bent the wrong way! The fox flying at breakneck speed, about to collide with a boulder!

Makoto returned to his senses, hyperventilating from the scenes flashing in his mind. He hoped this wasn't future vision finally awakening within him, that it really was all just in his head. But only for a very short moment, because his protector was still about to be brutalized. He knew no victory would be worth the damage he just might be able to cause by unleashing his powers. There was only one thing he could do.

He grabbed the fox and fled as fast as he could, praying these krabbies weren't faster than they looked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

There is only one thing you can do to prevent what could possibly be a catastrophic vision of the future from becoming reality: even though the Fennekin was willing to protect you, or perhaps just keep fighting for the sake of it, you decide not to risk it and flee the scene, carrying the flailing fox in your arms.

You run for what feels like forever, never stopping to look back, until your body feels so tired you are forced to stop. Only then do you peer over your shoulder, to find the Krabby long gone and no longer in pursuit!

In your rush to flee the scene, you kept running without really caring where you were going, and now find yourself in a new part of the beach, strangely different from the one you were before. “Strangely” indeed, you realize, as the small pebbles and sea shells around you glow faintly with a blue aura and hover slightly above the sand rather than resting on it, as if under the influence of some sort of magical field… Looking around, you can’t quite make out the source of this supernatural energy, but whatever it is, it must be considerably powerful to affect the landscape like this…

Fennekin finally leaps off your shoulders and looks at you furiously. You can’t quite tell if it’s upset that you prematurely ended the fight or didn’t stand by its side to even the odds, but it’s fairly obvious the fox is quite upset, even if you did just save its hide…

What will you do?

↑ & ↓ & ↻
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

There is only one thing you can do to prevent what could possibly be a catastrophic vision of the future from becoming reality: even though the Fennekin was willing to protect you, or perhaps just keep fighting for the sake of it, you decide not to risk it and flee the scene, carrying the flailing fox in your arms.

You run for what feels like forever, never stopping to look back, until your body feels so tired you are forced to stop. Only then do you peer over your shoulder, to find the Krabby long gone and no longer in pursuit!

In your rush to flee the scene, you kept running without really caring where you were going, and now find yourself in a new part of the beach, strangely different from the one you were before. “Strangely” indeed, you realize, as the small pebbles and sea shells around you glow faintly with a blue aura and hover slightly above the sand rather than resting on it, as if under the influence of some sort of magical field… Looking around, you can’t quite make out the source of this supernatural energy, but whatever it is, it must be considerably powerful to affect the landscape like this…

Fennekin finally leaps off your shoulders and looks at you furiously. You can’t quite tell if it’s upset that you prematurely ended the fight or didn’t stand by its side to even the odds, but it’s fairly obvious the fox is quite upset, even if you did just save its hide…

What will you do?
Makoto shook with hesitation. Did he make the right choice? Was every choice the wrong choice? All he could do now was try to explain his answer. Key word being try. "S-Sorry, I, um..." he mumbled, his eyes avoiding the fennekin's furious gaze, "I-I had no choice. M-My pokemon had fainted because we fought an abra and I can't take my suppressor bracelets off and... um..." He inhaled, then exhaled, trying to explain things a little better. "I mean, Y-You were being attacked and I had no pokemon who could help... I-I can't really take my psychic bracelets off... I was worried a-about accidentally hurting you... and everyone..."

He was too wrapped up in apologizing and rationalizing to notice his mystical surroundings. "I-I'm sorry. A slowking told me you were struggling with your powers, too. He was willing to help both of us if we came back to... him..." Only then did he finally take notice. He immediately began shaking and sweating with panic when it dawned on him: he fled to the wrong place! "Wh-Where a-are we...?" was all he could say.

Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

Fennekin doesn't seem particularly interested in your explanation as it keeps frowning regardless of what you tell him. Still, you notice its gaze shift slightly to your wrists once you mention the suppressor bracelets you're wearing, only now realizing that you, must like itself, must have some kind of Psychic potential. For what it's worth, despite still looking angry, the fox still hasn't fled and left you behind. Maybe you've peaked its interest?...

Whatever the reason, you suddenly realize something much more significant: you have no clue where you are, and this part of the beach is most definitely... strange, for lack of a better word. You can only assume you've taken a wrong turn somewhere, although you don't exactly remember turning at all. So where on earth are you?...

"Fled to the wrong place", you say?

The voice echoes in your head, sounding amused. More importantly, sounding familiar.

I would say quite the opposite. Fate has brought you two exactly where you needed to be. After all, did you not want a second chance?

Sand suddenly kicks up and begins swirling around in a small vortex, controlled by some strange force. When it finally falls back down, Slowking is standing in front of you, with his new Abra apprentice by his side. He closes his eyes and a small ring of pure blue energy appears directly over his head.

Your newfound companion is tenacious in temper but lacks mental discipline, much like you. Strike the ring. I do not care how, as long as you strike and destroy it. Be mindful though - I am not to be harmed in the attempt. That is your first challenge.

You realize that Slowing is testing you, giving you that second opportunity you craved. But how can you go about hitting that ring? It's dangerously close to Slowking, so the attack will require precision. Can Fennekin handle it on its own? Will it even listen to you? And can you do if Fennekin's attack veers off target? Only one way to find out...

You are now accompanied by a wild Level 16 Female Fennekin.

Reaction score
Myahoo:

If you don't act quick, you'll end up shot. As terrifying as that notion is, it's still the undeniable truth, and Cynthia, for all her accolades, is in no condition to help you from where she's standing; one false move on the part of the Champion and you know he's going to fire.

Then what can you do? You are in no condition of struggling out of the man's grasp, after the beating you took from Throh and your only ally is too far away to help! Except.... Cynthia is not your only ally! You quickçy realize it's all you can do at this point: you'll have to rely on Rotom, and hope to Arceus it gets the message this time around without you having shout instructions - for all its sass, you're right, it didn't fare off too much better without direct commands earlier.

Your eyes meet Rotom's, and it seems you have its attention. You try your hardest not to choke as you convey your silent message to the plasma critter, shifting your gaze to the man's pistol. Somehow, you need Rotom to get the gun - but how? It has no hands, it couldn't possibly overpower the man to pry the weapon out of his grasp... Even you could, you're not sure how you want Rotom to act... you just desperately know you need it to do something!

The following moments are tense. You feel the barrel press harder into your stomach while the man's grasp on your throat tightens. You feel light-headed, both from knowledge of impending death and the lack of blood flowing to your brain. But just when you're about to pass out, you spot a glimmer of light flash in the corner of your eye, followed by a scream and the hand on your throat letting go all of a sudden!

You realize then that Rotom did the only thing it could thing of - another swift Discharge, this time aimed at the man's hand. Electricity surrounded the weapon and, running through it, zapped the man's arm as well, causing him to drop the pistol and stumble backwards, clutching his hand in pain!

"Now! Garchomp!"

In a flash of light, a massive land shark emerged from Cynthia's PokeBall and jumped forward, tackling the man and pinning him to the ground, while Cynthia rushes to grab the pistol herself. She then walks over to you and helps you get back to your feet.

"Thank Arceus you're alright," she says with a sigh of relief. "Extremely well done Aiden. Say..."

She looks at the man struggling, to no avail, to break free from under her legendary Garchomp.

"... it'll be a couple more seconds before the police enter the room. You get one free shot if you want," she concludes with a coy smile and a flick of her golden hair.
Fucking Asshole shoved the gun harder into Aiden's stomach as the standoff continued, which really didn't help the whole not-being-able-to-breathe thing. Still, Aiden silently urged Rotom to do something about the gun, since it was the only one who could without attracting Fucking Asshole's attention.

It was getting hard to focus, though, with the hand around his neck and the whole not-breathing thing, but Aiden tried not to panic. How much longer was it gonna wait? It wasn't like Cynthia or he could make a distraction and something had to break this stalemate. Hopefully soon or someone was gonna have to check on him after they picked him off the floor.

Turned out, they'd have to pick him up off the floor anyway as Fucking Asshole abruptly let Aiden go with a scream and a crackle-zap-bang. Aiden pretty much dropped to the floor and started coughing. Cynthia yelled something and there was the red flash of a Pokéball releasing its contents, something large leaping past or over him to get at Fucking Asshole. Some footsteps hurried past him and then came back, along with a hand.

After another series of coughs, Aiden peered up at the owner of the hand and grabbed it, letting Cynthia pull him to his feet as he massaged his throat. A glance at the situation showed Fucking Asshole being restrained by Cynthia's Garchomp and the gun in Cynthia's hands. From Rotom's expression, he figured the Ghost was the one to shoot it out of Asshole's hands.

"Thank Arceus you're alright," she said with a sigh of relief. "Extremely well done Aiden."

Really? That was well done? Kinda seemed like a bit of a disaster from his view, but if she said so...

"Say...it'll be a couple more seconds before the police enter the room. You get one free shot if you want," Cynthia offered with a coy smile and a flick of her hair.

He hesitated for a beat and tried to say something, only to dissolve into another coughing fit. "Hey, as long as...you don't arrest me for it..." he got out, voice hoarse and throat scratchy. Still, he managed to make his way over towards Fucking Asshole and took his free shot, though he had to wince and shake his hand out afterwards. Faces hurt to hit and he wasn't exactly uninjured, but that would hopefully be the last bit of pain he was getting for a while.

↑ & ↓ & ↻
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

Fennekin doesn't seem particularly interested in your explanation as it keeps frowning regardless of what you tell him. Still, you notice its gaze shift slightly to your wrists once you mention the suppressor bracelets you're wearing, only now realizing that you, must like itself, must have some kind of Psychic potential. For what it's worth, despite still looking angry, the fox still hasn't fled and left you behind. Maybe you've peaked its interest?...

Whatever the reason, you suddenly realize something much more significant: you have no clue where you are, and this part of the beach is most definitely... strange, for lack of a better word. You can only assume you've taken a wrong turn somewhere, although you don't exactly remember turning at all. So where on earth are you?...

"Fled to the wrong place", you say?

The voice echoes in your head, sounding amused. More importantly, sounding familiar.

I would say quite the opposite. Fate has brought you two exactly where you needed to be. After all, did you not want a second chance?

Sand suddenly kicks up and begins swirling around in a small vortex, controlled by some strange force. When it finally falls back down, Slowking is standing in front of you, with his new Abra apprentice by his side. He closes his eyes and a small ring of pure blue energy appears directly over his head.

Your newfound companion is tenacious in temper but lacks mental discipline, much like you. Strike the ring. I do not care how, as long as you strike and destroy it. Be mindful though - I am not to be harmed in the attempt. That is your first challenge.

You realize that Slowing is testing you, giving you that second opportunity you craved. But how can you go about hitting that ring? It's dangerously close to Slowking, so the attack will require precision. Can Fennekin handle it on its own? Will it even listen to you? And can you do if Fennekin's attack veers off target? Only one way to find out...

You are now accompanied by a wild Level 16 Female Fennekin.
Here it was. Makoto's first test. He wondered if finding the fennekin should have counted as that, but then remembered it was more like the preliminary test to prove he was worthy of Slowking's trials. But now was not the time to dwell on such particulars. He had to somehow use his or the fennekin's powers to break a target directly over Slowking's head!

He glanced at the antsy fennekin, then at his own trembling hands. Worry began welling in his head. What if the attack misses and strikes Slowking? What if he strikes it without destroying it and his next attack fails the trial? Would it just destroy all hope of him finding a mentor? Simply searching for another mentor was being actively blocked out of his thoughts. What would he do?

He remembered the reason he wore the bracelets in the first place, personal safety aside. After seeing the destruction his powers could cause, he wanted to never use them to harm anyone. Yet his didn't trust himself to use them judiciously, not when they were so unstable. If many objects were around and if others were near, they would never be safe around him unless he suppressed his powers.

Then it dawned on him. What if Slowking wasn't near the ring? Or any humans or pokemon, for that matter? But could he really do that? He wasn't completely sure, but the "I do not care how" suggested it just might be an option.

Realizing that, Makoto began a procedure to rein in the noise in his mind. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Thoughts of violent, destructive failure tormented him, but he fought back as best as he could by attempting to suppress one with each breath. He might just be ready to remove the restrictors, he thought, so he rummaged through a special pocket in his bag containing the key. But another vision of failure ambushed him once he felt the key! His hand trembled as it tugged away his sweater sleeve. He was poised to wreak havoc with just a single turn of the key!

He desperately struggled to search his thoughts for comfort, but he found nothing. Meringue was out cold. He knew the fennekin hated his guts. His dad resented him and his mom didn't care. He could see his brother laughing at him! And his sister had been gone for years. No friends to support him. No family either. On the precipice of disaster, he could feel himself weeping in fear.

Reaction score
myahoo:

Cynthia smiles at your apparent hesitation.

"I have no authority to arrest anyone Aiden. The men outside do, but let's keep this between you and me."

Taking her up on the offer, you get a much deserved punch in on the man who made your life hell for the past several hours. Your hand hurts afterwards, but hopefully the strike lifted your spirits somewhat. Either way, the man had it coming.

Garchomp growls in satisfaction as you enact your modest revenge, but the dragon does not budge. It's probably for the best too, considering how crafty Shady Guy is, and how he'd probably find a way to escape if he wasn't forcefully pinned down as he was. Rotom floats over to you, smiling in gratitude for aiding Cynthia apprehend the criminal. Clearly, it too is happy it got to play a role - for a spirit, its emotions are surprisingly easy to read.

"We couldn't have made it without you. I am so sorry I had to put you in danger like this..." says Cynthia, and you can tell her regrets are sincere. "With nothing in the way of solid evidence, despite the abundance of suspicions we had, there was no way we could track down this man, let alone convict him of any crimes in court. But thanks to you, we not only managed to apprehend him, we also caught him red-handed and dismantled his little underground battling scheme. Here..."

She walks up to you and places something in your hand.

"The police will want to reward you no doubt, but this is a little something from me personally."

You look down to find a strange black PokéBall with glowing yellow lines running across it. What kind of technology is this?...

"The police used to house a particular Pokemon in there when it wasn't being used in investigations. I think you know of whom I speak," she continues with a wink. "I'd say you have proven to be quite an effective duo. I don't know if you agree with me, but I believe you proved that you can put Rotom to much better use than anyone in the task force ever has. Who knows? Maybe it can help you again in the future?"

Rotom hovers over to its
Yellow Cyber Ball
and looks at you expectantly. Should you?...

Serverus Snope:

Something tells you that, if you fail this trial, your second and last opportunity at being trained by Slowking might be lost and gone forever. The target glows above his head, tauntingly, challenging you to do your best and miss...

Fennekin looks at you somewhat expectantly, as if asking you if you have any ideas. Because if you don't, she seems more than eager to take matters into her own paws, regardless of how skilled she actually is. Slowking looks at the two of you, as if waiting to see how you can coexist in this challenge, or if each of you will do things independently.

You struggle with what to do and, more importantly, how to do it. After all, you've struggled with unrestrained psychic powers of your own, and truth be told, if let loose now, your odds of success would be exceedingly low considering how unused you are to handling them and how small the target is. Torn between opening your bracelets or not, you end up unable to make any actual decisions while both Slowking and Fennekin wait to see what comes of your inner struggle.

Embers escape the golden fox's mouth; it is obvious she is about fed up with waiting for you. Slowking, meanwhile, looks as patient as always, silently staring at you. The target begins to flicker and fade, making it clear it won't stand there hovering forever. It's time to make a choice - how will you and Fennekin strike the target without harming your hopefully-future mentor?

Reaction score
myahoo:

Cynthia smiles at your apparent hesitation.

"I have no authority to arrest anyone Aiden. The men outside do, but let's keep this between you and me."

Taking her up on the offer, you get a much deserved punch in on the man who made your life hell for the past several hours. Your hand hurts afterwards, but hopefully the strike lifted your spirits somewhat. Either way, the man had it coming.

Garchomp growls in satisfaction as you enact your modest revenge, but the dragon does not budge. It's probably for the best too, considering how crafty Shady Guy is, and how he'd probably find a way to escape if he wasn't forcefully pinned down as he was. Rotom floats over to you, smiling in gratitude for aiding Cynthia apprehend the criminal. Clearly, it too is happy it got to play a role - for a spirit, its emotions are surprisingly easy to read.

"We couldn't have made it without you. I am so sorry I had to put you in danger like this..." says Cynthia, and you can tell her regrets are sincere. "With nothing in the way of solid evidence, despite the abundance of suspicions we had, there was no way we could track down this man, let alone convict him of any crimes in court. But thanks to you, we not only managed to apprehend him, we also caught him red-handed and dismantled his little underground battling scheme. Here..."

She walks up to you and places something in your hand.

"The police will want to reward you no doubt, but this is a little something from me personally."

You look down to find a strange black PokéBall with glowing yellow lines running across it. What kind of technology is this?...

"The police used to house a particular Pokemon in there when it wasn't being used in investigations. I think you know of whom I speak," she continues with a wink. "I'd say you have proven to be quite an effective duo. I don't know if you agree with me, but I believe you proved that you can put Rotom to much better use than anyone in the task force ever has. Who knows? Maybe it can help you again in the future?"

Rotom hovers over to its
Yellow Cyber Ball
and looks at you expectantly. Should you?...
Cynthia smiled. "I have no authority to arrest anyone, Aiden. The men outside do, but let's keep this between you and me."

"Definitely." Aiden took his free shot and had to shake his hand out after because bones, but he felt a bit better about the whole thing. Not that he'd like to repeat any of it anytime soon.

Cynthia's Garchomp growled, making Aiden's heart jump before he realized it was agreeing with his actions. Cool. Rotom floated over to him too, smiling at him in gratitude. Probably for helping Cynthia take down Asshole and getting to participate in the whole thing.

"We couldn't have made it without you. I am so sorry I had to put you in danger like this..." Cynthia said, sounding sincerely regretful, which Aiden took with a grain of salt. Sure, he could buy that she regretted making him do the thing, what with being an untrained civilian and all that, but he kinda doubted she'd do anything different, given the chance. "With nothing in the way of solid evidence, despite the abundance of suspicions we had, there was no way we could track down this man, let alone convict him of any crimes in court. But thanks to you, we not only managed to apprehend him, we also caught him red-handed and dismantled his little underground battling scheme. Here..." She walked over and handed him something. "The police will want to reward you no doubt, but this is a little something from me personally."

Aiden looked down at the weird black Pokéball she'd given him, glowing yellow lines running across it. It looked...very futuristic, but honestly? He had half a mind to give it back to her. Whatever it was or whatever it was for, he wasn't sure it was worth getting partly blackmailed into infiltrating an underground Pokémon fighting ring.

"The police used to house a particular Pokémon in there when it wasn't being used in investigations. I think you know of whom I speak." She winked at him and he glanced over at the Rotom. Huh. So, it was a caught Pokémon. He'd kinda wondered. "I'd say you have proven to be quite an effective duo. I don't know if you agree with me, but I believe you proved that you can put Rotom to much better use than anyone in the task force ever has. Who knows? Maybe it can help you again in the future?"

Rotom hovered over to its Pokéball, watching him expectantly. Aiden...didn't what to think. He and Rotom? An effective duo? He supposed it might've looked like that from the last bit of the fight that Cynthia saw, but before that, he definitely wouldn't call them anything like effective.

He considered the Rotom's Pokéball. He wasn't sure what to do with Cynthia saying she believed he'd put Rotom to better use than the police department. He wasn't sure he believed her, to be honest. But he could also imagine how that could happen. From what he'd read, Rotom in general had never really struck him as the type of Pokémon to work well with something like a police department. And he got wanting a chance of pace.

But, in the end, if he understood how this went properly, it wasn't really his choice.

Aiden offered the Pokéball to Rotom with a wry and rueful grin. "Like I mentioned before, I'm new to this whole having-your-own-Pokémon thing, but I don't think we really started on the best note. If you're fine with that, though, I'd be--" He frantically wracked his brain for a good word. Honored sounded a bit too formal and delighted made him sound desperate. He couldn't think of anything else and he'd almost managed to sound like he had his shit together, only to fail at the last second. With a sigh, he shook his head and simply said, "If you're willing to give this a chance, so am I."

There was a beat as Aiden registered what he said and rolled his eyes, muttering, "And doesn't that sound like the beginning of a romantic relationship."

Still, he shook the Pokéball and gave Rotom a lopsided grin. "Whaddya say?"

Reaction score
myahoo:

Rotom's eyes shift repeatedly between the Cyber Ball, Cynthia, and yourself. It seems to be as unsure about this whole deal as you are, but one thing's for sure: police work is extremely uneventful, especially considering this was the first time anyone actually deployed Rotom with successful results. Going back to some dark storage room for Arceus-knows how long until it might be needed again is a mind-numbingly boing perspective. At the very least, it did have some fun working with you, so...

Rotom smiles, seemingly having mad eup its mind. Even with its obvious reservations, the ghost orbits around you like a tiny electrical moon, before letting itself inside the Cyber Ball for formality's sake. It clicks shut, and as a result...

Congratulations! You've caught a Level 22 Rotom with MT Signal Beam!

Cynthia smiles at the outcome; she too had her doubts about whether Rotom would accept this new pairing, but it seems her hunch was correct. Just then, two policemen enter the room, pistols in hand aiming at the floor to prevent misfirings. They scan the area and are visibly relieved to find the perpetrator has already been neutralized. Summarily, Cynthia explains the latest developments, and one of the officers approaches you with an outstretched hand after putting away his firearm.

"Well then, I think we owe you for the success of this operation. The Champion had been trying to get us to investigate this man for a long time, but without any formal charges our hands were tied as far as legal procedures went. If you hadn't gone undercover we might never have been able to bring this guy in."

He stops briefly, as if he's trying to figure something out, before shrugging and smiling.

"We can't exactly make it public that we put a civilian in danger like this on an unsanctioned mission to pin down a person with no charges. So as far as official ceremonies go, we might have to skip on that. Tell you what..." He removes his bulletproof 1x Assault Vest and hands it to you. It might be a tad too large for you to wear, and definitely not before it goes in the wash, but its' the... thought that counts? "Let's just call you an honorary member of New Fizz Police Department. Very well done Aiden. You too, CHampion Cynthia. You have our sincerest gratitude."

Cynthia merely nods politely, before turning to you once more.

"Well, I think it's been quite enough for one day. I'm not proud of it either, dragging you into this mess the way I did... But I hope you can forgive me. On the bright side, you made a new friend! I'm quite certain you'll enjoy the life of a Pokemon Trainer, you know?" She pulls out a small notebook and black pen from her pocket and writes something on a slip of paper, which she then signs and hands to you.

"One last gift from me, to get you and Rotom started on your journey. Take this to the New Fizz Pokemon Center and ask the clerk there to withdraw a 1x TM Thunder and 1x Heart Scale from my account's Item Box. They're yours to keep. Aiden... thank you once again, for everything."

At long last, it's all over. The underground battling facility has been deactivated, and the criminal has been apprehended, all thanks to a young man without a single Pokemon to his name! But that changed today, and who knows where the life of a Pokemon Trainer will take Aiden and Rotom now?

---------------

You have now completed your New Fizz Adventure. Sorry it took so long! Hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. If you hurry you can still claim Rotom's Birthday gifts from the Birthday Thread!! Cheers :)

Reaction score
myahoo:

Rotom's eyes shift repeatedly between the Cyber Ball, Cynthia, and yourself. It seems to be as unsure about this whole deal as you are, but one thing's for sure: police work is extremely uneventful, especially considering this was the first time anyone actually deployed Rotom with successful results. Going back to some dark storage room for Arceus-knows how long until it might be needed again is a mind-numbingly boing perspective. At the very least, it did have some fun working with you, so...

Rotom smiles, seemingly having mad eup its mind. Even with its obvious reservations, the ghost orbits around you like a tiny electrical moon, before letting itself inside the Cyber Ball for formality's sake. It clicks shut, and as a result...

Congratulations! You've caught a Level 22 Rotom with MT Signal Beam!

Cynthia smiles at the outcome; she too had her doubts about whether Rotom would accept this new pairing, but it seems her hunch was correct. Just then, two policemen enter the room, pistols in hand aiming at the floor to prevent misfirings. They scan the area and are visibly relieved to find the perpetrator has already been neutralized. Summarily, Cynthia explains the latest developments, and one of the officers approaches you with an outstretched hand after putting away his firearm.

"Well then, I think we owe you for the success of this operation. The Champion had been trying to get us to investigate this man for a long time, but without any formal charges our hands were tied as far as legal procedures went. If you hadn't gone undercover we might never have been able to bring this guy in."

He stops briefly, as if he's trying to figure something out, before shrugging and smiling.

"We can't exactly make it public that we put a civilian in danger like this on an unsanctioned mission to pin down a person with no charges. So as far as official ceremonies go, we might have to skip on that. Tell you what..." He removes his bulletproof 1x Assault Vest and hands it to you. It might be a tad too large for you to wear, and definitely not before it goes in the wash, but its' the... thought that counts? "Let's just call you an honorary member of New Fizz Police Department. Very well done Aiden. You too, CHampion Cynthia. You have our sincerest gratitude."

Cynthia merely nods politely, before turning to you once more.

"Well, I think it's been quite enough for one day. I'm not proud of it either, dragging you into this mess the way I did... But I hope you can forgive me. On the bright side, you made a new friend! I'm quite certain you'll enjoy the life of a Pokemon Trainer, you know?" She pulls out a small notebook and black pen from her pocket and writes something on a slip of paper, which she then signs and hands to you.

"One last gift from me, to get you and Rotom started on your journey. Take this to the New Fizz Pokemon Center and ask the clerk there to withdraw a 1x TM Thunder and 1x Heart Scale from my account's Item Box. They're yours to keep. Aiden... thank you once again, for everything."

At long last, it's all over. The underground battling facility has been deactivated, and the criminal has been apprehended, all thanks to a young man without a single Pokemon to his name! But that changed today, and who knows where the life of a Pokemon Trainer will take Aiden and Rotom now?

---------------

You have now completed your New Fizz Adventure. Sorry it took so long! Hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. If you hurry you can still claim Rotom's Birthday gifts from the Birthday Thread!! Cheers :)
He watched with growing anxiety as Rotom glanced indecisively between the Pokéball, Cynthia, and Aiden himself. He knew he really shouldn't expect anything from them--it wasn't like they owed him anything or anything like that--but, at the same time, he couldn't help hoping that this wouldn't be a repeat of the Aerodactyl. Though, he had to admit, somewhat bitterly, if this Rotom rejected him too, he was probably going to give up the whole Trainer thing. Two completely different Pokémon, both deciding he wasn't what they wanted? It would be miserable.

It looked like he didn't have to worry, though, because Rotom smiled and circled him once before tapping the Pokéball and vanishing inside. Aiden stared as the ball clicked shut and settled, calm as anything, in his hand. He blinked once and then again, still staring at the Pokéball in his hand, but no last-minute escape happened. Nothing changed and he...couldn't believe it.

Two sets of footsteps pulled him from his stunned thoughts as a pair of policemen entered the room, scanning the area and prepared to fire. They visibly relaxed when they spotted Asshole being restrained by Cynthia's Garchomp and Aiden tuned the conversation out as Cynthia explained the situation, gaze returning to the Pokéball in his hand. He absently rolled it around and swapped it to his left hand, tucking his hand into his pocket but not letting the ball go when the officer approached him.

"Well then. I think we owe you for the success of this operation," he said, holstering his gun and shaking Aiden's hand. "The Champion has been trying to get us to investigate this man for a long time, but without any formal charges, our hands were tied, as far as legal procedures went. If you hadn't gone undercover, we might never have been able to bring this guy in."

Aiden nodded automatically. Again, he suspected that, given the same opportunity, they would've done the exact same thing, but he couldn't stir up the cynicism from earlier. He was still a bit too stunned by Rotom's choice to really get upset about it.

The officer paused as though making a decision or trying to find some words, before he shrugged and smiled. "We can't exactly make it public that we put a civilian in danger like this on an unsanctioned mission to pin down a person with no charges, so, as far as official ceremonies go, we might have to skip on that." Aiden quirked a smile at that. No fancy ceremonies for him, thank god.

"Tell you what," the officer continued, taking off his bulletproof vest and offering it to Aiden. It was a bit...big, but...nice? He supposed? ...were officers allowed to do that? "Let's just call you an honorary member of New Fizz Police Department." As long as they didn't call him to do anything, that was fine with him. "Very well done, Aiden. You too, Champion Cynthia. You have our sincerest gratitude."

Aiden just gave them a confused smile as he bundled up the vest so it was easier to carry.

"Well, I think it's been quite enough for one day," Cynthia said, turning her attention back to him. "I'm not proud of it either, dragging you into this mess the way I did, but I hope you can forgive me."

Aiden only shrugged noncommittally, shifting so he could feel the press of the Pokéball against his thigh.

"On the bright side, you made a new friend! I'm quite certain you'll enjoy the life of a Pokémon Trainer, you know?" She pulled out a notebook and scribbled something in it before signing it and handing it to him. "One last gift from me, to get you and Rotom started on your journey. Take this to the New Fizz Pokémon Center and ask the clerk there to withdraw a TM Thunder and Heart Scale from my account's Item Box. They're yours to keep. Aiden...thank you once again, for everything."

"Sure," he said with another shrug, almost turning to leave before two thoughts struck him. "But, uh, could you help me get this off first?" He tugged sheepishly at the collar around his neck. "And I kinda need my phone back."

Fin

Collecting 1x Assault Vest, 1x TM Thunder, 1x Heart Scale, and 1x Lv. 22 Genderless Rotom with MT Signal Beam in a Yellow Cyber Ball.

Thanks for an awesome adventure, Mask! And my first non-event one too.|D But, seriously, thanks for helping me out with this whole thing. I really appreciate it.

Now, to the birthday thread!

↑ & ↓ & ↻
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

Something tells you that, if you fail this trial, your second and last opportunity at being trained by Slowking might be lost and gone forever. The target glows above his head, tauntingly, challenging you to do your best and miss...

Fennekin looks at you somewhat expectantly, as if asking you if you have any ideas. Because if you don't, she seems more than eager to take matters into her own paws, regardless of how skilled she actually is. Slowking looks at the two of you, as if waiting to see how you can coexist in this challenge, or if each of you will do things independently.

You struggle with what to do and, more importantly, how to do it. After all, you've struggled with unrestrained psychic powers of your own, and truth be told, if let loose now, your odds of success would be exceedingly low considering how unused you are to handling them and how small the target is. Torn between opening your bracelets or not, you end up unable to make any actual decisions while both Slowking and Fennekin wait to see what comes of your inner struggle.

Embers escape the golden fox's mouth; it is obvious she is about fed up with waiting for you. Slowking, meanwhile, looks as patient as always, silently staring at you. The target begins to flicker and fade, making it clear it won't stand there hovering forever. It's time to make a choice - how will you and Fennekin strike the target without harming your hopefully-future mentor?
Panic kept rising once the ring flickered. Time was running out and nothing was going anywhere! Water kept swelling in the blocked dam of Makoto’s thoughts…

…and his priorities cut out a path for it. He marched in front of Fennekin, right in the path of her charging ember’s effective range, and approached Slowking. He rolled up his sleeve and clenched his fist as he readied to go through with his choice, his potential sacrifice depending on what the ring was made of… only to realize how high up the ring actually was!

For his hasty plan B, he scrambled over to Fennekin, picking her up while fearfully pleading for her to “Please don’t fire yet please don’t fire yet please control your fire when I say go” in a voice so quick he seemed to stumble over his words. He brought her closer to the target and raised her up to the ring’s height and continued to beg. “Fire now but please be precise and gentle and don’t hurt him and…” The disgruntled fox finally let out her frustration by spitting out an ember.

Reaction score
OkikuMew:

Only one answer comes to mind. It’s astounding that you could even piece it all together, given your earlier state of confusion… but you persevered, clinging on to that remnant of reason, and are now able to provide the solution to end this madness. Thirteen.

As you utter the word, your mirror image’s smile widens, and she bows gracefully in gratitude. Then, the violet glow that fills the cave coalesces on her, enveloping her in a bright purple sphere, which proceeds to burst in a blinding flash of light. All you can see is purple for a few seconds, but when your eyes readjust, the scene before you has changed again. Only this time, it all looks – and feels – more authentic than ever before.

You are still in the same submerged cave, floating around in the saltwater. However, the cave walls now bear countless hieroglyphs, each of them radiating a faint purple glow. Except, these aren’t hieroglyphs at all; in fact, they are much more similar to… letters?

You then begin to look around, searching for your mirror image, but she is nowhere to be found. In its place, however, is something else… A small black creature, staring back at you with a single, expressionless eye. Merely gazing upon it fills you with questions, a lingering sense of disorientation. The creature’s shape, appropriately, is the embodiment of doubt: a living question mark. It’s a
!

Orbiting around it, like a star-turned-satellite, is a violet crystal brimming with power – the source of light that has flooded this cave with such an unnatural glow. Upon closer inspection, your now-clear mind easily identifies the stone: it’s a
Psychium Z!

This combination must be the source of the widespread madness you’ve encountered thus far: the irrationally violent and hungry Mareanie that live in this part of the ocean; the apathetic Toxapex all bundled together like a living dome, protecting the cave; the out-of-the-blue tsunami that rose out of nowhere, threatening to destroy the Hank Tank; your own overwhelming confusion the closer you got to the centre of the cave… All can be explained by the heightened psychic energy of this Unown, empowered by the Z-Crystal! So if you can break the cycle here, maybe…

What will you do?!
“That… that explains… a bit. Quite a bit.”

Before Mélina, a Pokémon she heard about before stood. First discovered in the Johto region then later spotted also in Sinnoh, they hid within the walls of ancient ruins - figuratively and literally - alongside hieroglyphs similar to Latin alphabet, which also happen to have plenty displayed within this cave's walls, after it transformed once again following the woman's answer to her double's question. Mystery surrounds that Symbol Pokémon, being in the center of a chicken vs. egg situation with language, to even dipping into the existence alternate dimensions.

Surely, that rare Pokémon deserved its name: Unown. And funnily and appropriately enough, this particular one shared the shape of a big ol’ question mark.

That said, there was still things known about them. A Pokédex scan quickly revealed they do not do much on their lonesome. Curiosity enough, this particular Unown seem to be channelling its power not alongside another of its species as it usually should, but instead with a purple crystal. The living hieroglyph rotated around the gem, like a weird planet orbiting a little erratically around a tiny violet sun. On closer inspection, that “sun” was in fact a precious Psychium Z.

“This is a researcher's wet dream, for sure,” Mélina commented aloud, not being able to hold down her amazement. Yet the little Dedenne wheel in her head was already running, now at full speed as the strength of the psychic haze dissipated. “B-but where's Lucette and Olivia?” she looked around, worried for not having the only Pokémon she brought with her by her side. She just hoped, hoped they were ok, somewhere, somehow. She was currently at her own devices though, and there was no point of just doing nothing when she has the source of all of today's problems right before her eyes.

The woman continued to gaze all around her, taking in this elusive sight, as she continued to ponder what exactly to do next. Would it be worth trying to read the text on the cave's walls? As much as she's as curious as a Skitty to do so, it may take too much time to decipher. While it was clear that she needed to stop the Unown using the energy of the Z Crystal, she wondered if doing so, in any way, would have dangerous consequences. Perhaps she watched too many movies of adventuring archeologists exploring temples which self-destructed when their treasures were taken, but she can never be too careful. Maybe…

Before taking any potentially rash decisions, Mélina began… taking pictures, specifically at the hieroglyphic walls and a few of the Unown and Psychium Z pair. It felt strange for her to do so, but at the same time felt like the right thing to do. If nobody will be able to come back and explore here, or see such similar event, all that precious information for both Pokemon researchers and archeologists will be completely gone. The images would be nothing compared to being physically present, but figured to be better than a tall tail from a random, unknown trainer. 'Pics or didn't happen', as they say.

After satisfying her explorator side, she clasped her hands on her hips. “Now, what should I do with you…”

Right off the bat, she knew any kind of violence was out of the question. Despite the difficulties, she more or less pulled everything off without attacking (for the exception when self-defense was needed), why would she resort to that now? Not to mention that even if she had her Pokémon with her, knowing what the Unown is capable of from a distance, she wouldn't dare want to know the hard way how a counter at close range would be. She could simply take away the Z Crystal, but that could anger the Symbol Pokémon… and then it hit her: that peaceful, smiling doppelganger earlier could very well be that Unown communicating with her earlier. Perhaps…?

“H-hey, little guy, it's me,” she awkwardly waved towards it. “Is everything ok? Are you trapped; stuck around that thing?” she pointed at the powerful gem. “I-I'll do what I can if you need help, ok? I could move the crystal away from you, or try to move you away from it… But trapped or not though…” she looked down on the cave's floor, “I'm sorry, but you have caused a lot of trouble outside the cave. Hurting a lot Pokémon and people for no good reason…” she looked at the Unown again, pensive. “Was it to protect this place from people? Or just protecting yourself? I promise, I'm not here to hurt you, nor do I want to destroy your home,” she cracked a small, warm smile. “...Well, I'll be lying though if I say I don't want to take anything, as I am interested in the crystal,” she cringed at herself, “but it's ok if you want me to leave it here. And although I have taken pictures for other people to see, I can keep this place a secret so nobody else can come here, alright? If I went too far I could even delete the pictures and keep everything a secret from everybody.” She looked at the floor again and sighed. “Look, to be fully honest, the idea of taking you with me has crossed my mind too,” she plucked out an empty Premier Ball and presented it to the Unown, “see? I thought you were pretty nice earlier. I thought you could maybe come along with me and be friends! ...But that's only if you’re ok with that. I'll do anything only if you want me to, ok? But if you want nothing of that, then... the only things I absolutely want is to free the Mareanie and Toxapex from their hypnotism so the coral reef goes back to normal, and I get to return to all my friends, ok?”

What will the Unown do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Serverus Snope:

Slowking seems to smile as you finally decide what to do. There is no way of knowing if this will work, but it's the best bet you got - you rush to grab Fennekin, much to her annoyance, and lift her close to the ring above Slowking's head. The fox struggles at first, as she's given no permission for you to touch her, but once she realize what your plan is, she seems to calm down somewhat and go along with it.

Indeed. It would have been impossible for either of you to do it alone. I am glad you understood in time.

Fennekin releases a stream of embers at almost point-blank range, flawlessly hitting the energy ring and causing it to dissipate. You feel your hands become warmer and warmer as the fox attacks, but manage to keep your grip and not let Fennekin fall. When it's all done, Slowking nods in approval, and the golden feline struggles to break free from your grasp - that was a necessity, no need to get too friendly, she seems to say.

You then start to wonder if you passed the trial, but it seems the psychic master has something else in mind for the two of you. Before you know it, you find yourself unable to move, your entire body freezing as it is grabbed by an inescapable Psychic grip, no doubt exerted (rather effortlessly, too) by Slowking. Meanwhile, Fennekin begins to act somewhat... strangely.

I have one more challenge for the two of you.

Fennekin starts to growl and grow restless for some reason. It takes you a while to understand she is staring fiercely at a small flock of three Pidgey, calmly minding their own business looking for worms a little farther down the beach. And behind them, floating just above the seawater, is another glowing ring.

Allow me to explain. I have cast Confusion on your partner's mind. She cannot see any ring, and instead of recognizing those Pidgey for what they truly are, she instead sees the same Krabby she was fighting earlier. If she attacks any of the Pidgey, you lose the challenge. You must guide her to the ring - which, I repeat, only you can see. Are you up to the task?

OkikuMew:

Unown stares at you blankly. It seems to be mostly unaware of any trouble it has caused - it's as if its mere existence, heightened by the Psychium Z, was enough to cause these major disturbances in the minds of all who draw near. And in that case, could it really be blamed for the disasters it brought forth?

... All I want is to wonder in peace. So much to wonder. So much to question. Do you want to question... together?

The voice ringing in your head is no doubt your own, but the words belong to Unown. As it speaks to you earnestly, you sense you begin to understand it somewhat. It tried to keep you, and everyone else, away. The tidal wave, created by its enhanced Psychic powers, was intentional. But the addled minds of those Mareanie and Toxapex, you are now certain it was simply a matter of their weaker minds succumbing to the Crystal's energy, scrambling their instincts. The Unown tells you none of this, but there is an undeniable link between the two of you that no science can explain.

The Premier Ball is suddenly pulled away from your hand, and it floats over to Unown, stopping inches away from its contemplating eye. The Ball spins slowly in place as the creature inspects the curious device. Then, it asks an age-old question.

How does one fit inside?

If only it knew how many humans over the years have wondered the exact same thing... Funnily enough, people stopped questioning after a while. Pokemon just go inside Pokeballs, right? But something told you Unown would never stop wondering about this...
Suddenly, the Ball snaps open under Unown's volition, and the Pokemon allows itself to be pulled inside. Without a hint of struggle, the device snaps shut and the Z-Crystal falls to the floor, losing its glow.

*Congratulations! You've caught a Level 20 Unown "?"*

Just as you do, however, you feel everything around you begin to rumble and shake, and cracks begin to form on the cave walls. Was Unown's power keeping this palce from collapsing under the intense pressure of the depths?! All you can do is quickly nab the 1x Psychium Z before water bursts through the walls violently, swiping you away...

"Hey! Hey, Mélina! You okay?!"

You slowly open your eyes, wincing from the intense sunlight. You realize you're soaked. More importantly, you realize you're not dead. You stare up into the cloudless morning sky to see a Pelipper circling overhead... and then, Hank's ugly mug comes into view.

"Oh thank Arceus. I thought you..." he chokes up a little, before helping you sit upright. You then understand you've somehow made it back to the Hank Tank, and that the large man seems to be feeling much better! "The sea got really agitated a while ago, thought the Tank was gonna flip over... but then it calmed back down, and Lucette and Olivia were carrying you together on their backs! What on earth happened down there?!"

You realize you can't quite explain yourself, but you know you owe your life to your dear partners. Logic dictates you should have drowned, surely...

Not knowing is scary, isn't it?

The voice rings in your head again. And how right it is.

You try your best to explain what happened to Hank, skipping any details you think might be too much for the simple-minded fisherman to comprehend, but in the end, he seems extremely satisfied.

"You not only saved my life but also the lives of every Corsola in the area. Broke those Mareanie free from their trance too... That took a lot of guts, miss. Not bad for a Kalosian! I... I want you to keep this. It was a memento my brother left me before he went off on his own, but... Well I think you earned it more than me."

He pulls out a small piece of rope wrapped around his neck and gives you the pendant, which you realize is a rather large 1x Heart Scale no doubt belonging to some big catch made years ago.

You can finally breathe a sight of relief... right? The psychic influence that plagued the sea and threatened the coral reef has finally put to rest. But now that Psychic entity is bound to you, and you can only wonder what kind of influence it might have over you and your team going forward...

((Congratulations! You have now finished your New Fizz City adventure. Apologies if the ending felt rushed but it's almost time for the ZOne to close and I wanted to make it in time for Unown's Birthday, even though, well... I hope you like Hidden Power :p Hope you had fun. It was really enjoyable updating you and seeing the solutions you came up with! Cheers!))

↑ & ↓ & ↻
Reaction score
One more trial. That was all that stood between Makoto and his new mentor’s wisdom. Yet his nerves felt calmer then usual. He had a good idea what kind of trial this was, and he doubted it was one that required him to risk harm to others.

Himself, on the other hand… or those pidgeys…

He positioned himself slightly in front of the “krabbies” and knelt down to the fennekin’s level. “I’m sorry about picking you up earlier without asking. …I panicked. Now we just need to find one more ring… and I know where it is. I can see it and I’ll guide you to it.” He then glanced at the foraging pidgeys behind him. “The krabbies from before are gone. It just looks like they’re still there…” He wondered how the fennekin would reply…

Reaction score
OkikuMew:

Unown stares at you blankly. It seems to be mostly unaware of any trouble it has caused - it's as if its mere existence, heightened by the Psychium Z, was enough to cause these major disturbances in the minds of all who draw near. And in that case, could it really be blamed for the disasters it brought forth?

... All I want is to wonder in peace. So much to wonder. So much to question. Do you want to question... together?

The voice ringing in your head is no doubt your own, but the words belong to Unown. As it speaks to you earnestly, you sense you begin to understand it somewhat. It tried to keep you, and everyone else, away. The tidal wave, created by its enhanced Psychic powers, was intentional. But the addled minds of those Mareanie and Toxapex, you are now certain it was simply a matter of their weaker minds succumbing to the Crystal's energy, scrambling their instincts. The Unown tells you none of this, but there is an undeniable link between the two of you that no science can explain.

The Premier Ball is suddenly pulled away from your hand, and it floats over to Unown, stopping inches away from its contemplating eye. The Ball spins slowly in place as the creature inspects the curious device. Then, it asks an age-old question.

How does one fit inside?

If only it knew how many humans over the years have wondered the exact same thing... Funnily enough, people stopped questioning after a while. Pokemon just go inside Pokeballs, right? But something told you Unown would never stop wondering about this...
Suddenly, the Ball snaps open under Unown's volition, and the Pokemon allows itself to be pulled inside. Without a hint of struggle, the device snaps shut and the Z-Crystal falls to the floor, losing its glow.

Congratulations! You've caught a Level 20 Unown "?"

Just as you do, however, you feel everything around you begin to rumble and shake, and cracks begin to form on the cave walls. Was Unown's power keeping this palce from collapsing under the intense pressure of the depths?! All you can do is quickly nab the 1x Psychium Z before water bursts through the walls violently, swiping you away...

"Hey! Hey, Mélina! You okay?!"

You slowly open your eyes, wincing from the intense sunlight. You realize you're soaked. More importantly, you realize you're not dead. You stare up into the cloudless morning sky to see a Pelipper circling overhead... and then, Hank's ugly mug comes into view.

"Oh thank Arceus. I thought you..." he chokes up a little, before helping you sit upright. You then understand you've somehow made it back to the Hank Tank, and that the large man seems to be feeling much better! "The sea got really agitated a while ago, thought the Tank was gonna flip over... but then it calmed back down, and Lucette and Olivia were carrying you together on their backs! What on earth happened down there?!"

You realize you can't quite explain yourself, but you know you owe your life to your dear partners. Logic dictates you should have drowned, surely...

Not knowing is scary, isn't it?

The voice rings in your head again. And how right it is.

You try your best to explain what happened to Hank, skipping any details you think might be too much for the simple-minded fisherman to comprehend, but in the end, he seems extremely satisfied.

"You not only saved my life but also the lives of every Corsola in the area. Broke those Mareanie free from their trance too... That took a lot of guts, miss. Not bad for a Kalosian! I... I want you to keep this. It was a memento my brother left me before he went off on his own, but... Well I think you earned it more than me."

He pulls out a small piece of rope wrapped around his neck and gives you the pendant, which you realize is a rather large 1x Heart Scale no doubt belonging to some big catch made years ago.

You can finally breathe a sight of relief... right? The psychic influence that plagued the sea and threatened the coral reef has finally put to rest. But now that Psychic entity is bound to you, and you can only wonder what kind of influence it might have over you and your team going forward...

((Congratulations! You have now finished your New Fizz City adventure. Apologies if the ending felt rushed but it's almost time for the ZOne to close and I wanted to make it in time for Unown's Birthday, even though, well... I hope you like Hidden Power :p Hope you had fun. It was really enjoyable updating you and seeing the solutions you came up with! Cheers!))
Drops of water set the rhythm of the cave, as the Unown glanced intensely at Mélina. At every new droplet, a new thought crossed the trainer’s mind, using her voice, but the words unmistakably belonging to the Pokémon.

“All I want is to wonder in peace.”

“So much to wonder.”

“So much to question.”

The silence between each sentence spoke more than the sentences themselves. It was completely oblivious at the chaos it created outside their home. Somehow, Mélina sensed that the strange waves were intended. It just wanted to be alone, after all. However, the rest was just unforeseen side effects of the heightened psychic power. The minds of the poor Mareanie and Toxapex stood no chance against it. Their brains simply sponged in all the defensive emotions and took it as their own.

Mélina also felt the psychic creature’s strong yearning for knowledge. Maybe it was the reason that pushed her of taking pictures of the walls earlier? She was unsure, but she had to admit a big part of her is her curiosity. Whenever information is historical or scientific, old or new, the Kalosian loved to learn about it. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why she quit her job to become a boutique owner and a Pokémon trainer. She yearned for change, and for discoveries to call her own, and going out and see this crazy world with her own eyes is one of the best ways to do it.

“Do you want to question… together?”

The woman flashed a sympathetic smile and nodded. The poor thing, despite yearning to stay here to be alone with its quiet research, it isn’t able to study much by doing so, despite its psychic abilities. (It’s not like it has access to Internet. The wifi or satellite connection must be horrible here.) In the best coincidence, both met here, and wish of the same thing… Without a doubt, travelling together would be the best outcome for both of them.

The Premier Ball which the trainer was presenting suddenly lifted off of her hands, as the question mark-shaped Pokémon swirled around it in fascination.

“How does one fit inside?”

“Question of the ages, buddy,” Mélina giggled. “Despite looking at many of them for so long, I never really figured it out. Kinda stopped thinking about it to be honest. All I know is whenever it touches a Pokémon, by being thrown at or simply touched on the button, it-”

Before she could complete her explanation, the Unown followed her words and pressed the Pokéball’s button. The ball swung open, swooped in the Pokémon into a swirl of red light, then snapped shut.

The Psychium Z crystal, no longer glowing, clang on the cave’s floor.

Mélina sighed. She was relieved, but also tired. She was just ready to call it a day and go home, now that the source of today’s problems has been removed.

Just as she went to pick up the Z-crystal, the whole room started to shake, almost causing her to lose her balance. The drips of water turned into small jets of streams as cracks formed into the walls, crumbling the hieroglyphs the girl took pictures of earlier.

“Of fucking course that happens.”

In a gasp, Mélina rushed to find an exit, a safe place to stay, anything that would help her survive the collapsing cavern… but it was too late. The pressure of the ocean’s depths were no match against the ancient grotto, no longer protected by its guardian. The water rushed in so quickly, the woman did not have the time to understand whenever she got hit by debris or ran out of air…

All she knew, was she blacked out.

……

…………

“Hey!”

“Hey, Mélina!” a familiar voice resonated in her ears. “You okay!?”

She suddenly started coughing out water. She groaned in pain, feeling sore and soaked all over.

But she was alive.

As her energy came back to her, she slowly opened her eyes. The blinding sun of the sea was shadowed by many figures. She first recognized those closest to her, all her Pokémon companions that helped her earlier: Catalina the Minior, Indy the Woobat, her Dratini, Soleil the Espeon, Lucette the Feebas, and Olivia the Corsola. She then noticed a Pelipper flying in circles, squawking joyfully… when suddenly the face of an ecstatic Hank’s face popped over her.

“Oh thank Arceus. I thought you...” he desperately held in tears, and in an attempt to distracting away from it, slowly helped the trainer to sit up.

Mélina shook her head, trying to wrap her head on what was going on. After returning to her senses, she realized she was back on the Hank Tank, safe and sound. On top of that, the owner of the boat seemed to be safe and sound himself, up on his feet and grinning from ear to ear.

"The sea got really agitated a while ago,” he explained, “thought the Tank was gonna flip over... but then it calmed back down, and Lucette and Olivia were carrying you together on their backs! What on earth happened down there?!"

Getting a little teary-eyed herself, the woman appreciatively looked at her Feebas and Corsola. Without them, she surely would’ve ended as part of the ocean’s floor. Thinking back of the little she remembered though, nothing explained how they were able to find her, yet alone dragged her out of there before she drowned…

“Not knowing is scary, isn’t it?” The Unown voice echoed through her mind again. It sure spoke the truth.

Shaking her head to get back to reality, she sighed in relief as she glanced to the old sailor. “Oh gosh… Where to start...”

She did her best to describe the adventure she had. Starting from when Hank was knocked unconscious, passing through the Toxapex shell, the negotiation, the awful headache-inducing mushroom samba, and finally the ancient cave, with the Unown inside that was accidentally confusing the Mareanie and Toxapex… In a bit of a proud moment, she showed off the pictures she took. “Pics or didn’t happen”, as they say. Despite being a bit unbelievable, no fisherman stories were from her today.

"You not only saved my life but also the lives of every Corsola in the area. Broke those Mareanie free from their trance too... That took a lot of guts, miss. Not bad for a Kalosian!” he roared in laughter while Mélina sheepishly grinned.

”I... I want you to keep this,” Hank’s mood changed into a solemn one, as he handed to her a necklace which bore a Heart Scale. “It was a memento my brother left me before he went off on his own, but... Well I think you earned it more than me."

“I-I… uhm...” she hesitated. “I don’t feel like I’m worthy of holding on such a precious keepsake of your brother… but... thank you,” she carefully puts the pendant around her neck, then patted it against her chest. “I’ll take good care of it, I promise.”

Taking a deep breath, Mélina finally felt she could relax. Both the Mareanie species and the Corsola were finally safe, and Hank is apparently in good shape, all thanks to her and her Pokémon’s actions. The thought of now such power in her hands honestly scared her a little, but she had a feeling that she would be able to handle it.

For now, she only cared about one thing: Return to New Fizz City, and go get some well-earned rest in a soft, warm bed.

The End

((Whew, sorry it took me so long to respond and finally finish this story! I fully understand the rush, but despite of that, I enjoyed it fully! Thank you very much for the adventure! Take care of yourself and your family now! ^^))

Claiming:
  • Lv.20 Unown ?
  • x1 Psychium Z
  • x1 Heart Scale