• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New free-to-play Nintendo 3DS game Pokémon Shuffle: Available February

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
New free-to-play Nintendo 3DS game Pokémon Shuffle: Available February

Pokémon Shuffle is a new Pokémon game that will be released on the Nintendo 3DS eShop this February. It will operate under the free-to-play model.

Read more on Bulbanews

So 'Pokémon Tsum Tsum' then?

Maybe this is Masuda's 'mobile- style game' he's so obsessed with... -_-

Of course they would make a F2P Pokemon game, because obviously they need to exploit the "kids don't have time for video games" mentality to squeeze every last bit of their allowance money like a schoolyard bully. This game reeks of the same money grubbing tactics that make the entire F2P model so disgusting.

Micro-transactions are literally disgusting.

Ugh... yeah... "free" game... I totally hate this whole "micro-transactions" thing. But even if we'll let this slide for now, can anyone tell me what's the point of doing it when this game seems literally identical to Pokémon Battle Trozei? aside from being "free" how exactly is Pokémon Shuffle any different? They should've at least TRIED to make it seem like more than a copy-pasted Battle Trozei...
I'd really rather pay the whole price for Battle Trozei than play the "free" Shuffle that would inevitably force us to pay more than double the price of Battle Trozei if we'd want a chance to properly play it...
I was sure they'll finally reveal more about Detective Pikachu but we got this instead... meh.

I was sure they'll finally reveal more about Detective Pikachu but we got this instead... meh.

That basically vaporware at this point :(

Let's hope this is the only Pokémon game we ever get with micro-transactions. Game-Stop events and patches are one thing, but having a game you literally you need to pay money (besides purchasing the product itself) in order to fully enjoy is a little ridiculous.

I'm reminded of that South Park episode, when the Prince of Canada explained how free-to-play games operate.

Let's hope this is the only Pokémon game we ever get with micro-transactions. Game-Stop events and patches are one thing, but having a game you literally you need to pay money (besides purchasing the product itself) in order to fully enjoy is a little ridiculous.
Technically, we've already had that: if you wanted all the dungeons in PMD: GtI, you had to purchase them. It was the first time I'd ever loaded pre-paid cards onto my 3DS so I could use eShop.

I don't know if I'll bother with this one, as this sort of thing irritates me. But knowing my luck, they'll have all Pokemon in there, including my kids, so I'll feel compelled to download it. =/

A free-to-play Pokemon game.... To quote Luke Skywalker, "I have a very bad feeling about this." Especially since F2P games tend to shove micro-transactions down the player's throat that make the game hard to enjoy for anyone. I feared that one day, the Pokemon franchise would stoop down to this level. I'd rather pay for a game once and not pay for additional material, especially every 5 seconds like many F2P games tend to do, so I'm passing this one out.

While I don't expect the next main-series game for a while since OR/AS JUST came out only two months ago, it seems like there hasn't really been a memorable spin-off game since Conquest, mostly kitschy, "kiddy" affair that few really care about.

I play a few f2p games, but never do micro transactions with them. What gets my Gogoat with this is that it's basically like a stripped-down "free" version Battle Trozei, which came out a few months ago. What ever happened to that Detective Pikachu game?

Micro-transactions would have at least made sense on a device where regular transactions were convenient. Or if it wasn't on a system that literally has Play Coins that few games use.

They should have done a dual release--one for smart phones, one for 3DS, with the 3DS one having the option for both Play Coins and micro-transactions.

FYI to people complaining: This isn't the first Pokemon game to have micro-transactions. Pokemon TCGO has it (you can spend money on gems to use in-game) but PTCGO is completely playable without spending a dime. I'll probably pick this up to try it and only play it during commutes to and from work.

I'm not saying the system is good, but I'm just thinking that everyone should calm down since it hasn't been implemented on a full retail game and I'd hardly call this a slippery slope (who's the developer anyway)

I play a few f2p games, but never do micro transactions with them. What gets my Gogoat with this is that it's basically like a stripped-down "free" version Battle Trozei, which came out a few months ago. What ever happened to that Detective Pikachu game?

Yeah, and if you do plan on using micro-transactions and love puzzle games that much, Trozei would actually be cheaper.

maybe this is their plan to get us to buy Trozei

Last edited:
Micro-transactions would have at least made sense on a device where regular transactions were convenient. Or if it wasn't on a system that literally has Play Coins that few games use.

They should have done a dual release--one for smart phones, one for 3DS, with the 3DS one having the option for both Play Coins and micro-transactions.

That would actually make way more sense than the current set up... remember the pkmn google maps thing? you'd imagine that could be a way for them to sort of gauge interest in pkmn games for smart phones, but nothing really came out of that...

FYI to people complaining: This isn't the first Pokemon game to have micro-transactions. Pokemon TCGO has it (you can spend money on gems to use in-game) but PTCGO is completely playable without spending a dime.

I hate the way TCGO works too. It's forcing us to either buy real cards or use actual money just to get more cards in-game. It's hardly much "playable" without doing it since you're so limited.
But it doesn't work for me anymore and I kind of gave up on it... I guess you don't see as many people complaining about that cause not as many are that into the TCG

I'm not saying the system is good, but I'm just thinking that everyone should calm down since it hasn't been implemented on a full retail game and I'd hardly call this a slippery slope (who's the developer anyway)

It's not the end of the world, but it's a step I can't say I'm glad to see pkmn taking. Maybe I have to accept that nowdays this sort of thing is inevitable...

Yeah, and if you do plan on using micro-transactions and love puzzle games that much, Trozei would actually be cheaper.

maybe this is their plan to get us to buy Trozei

I'm actually considering getting Trozei right now...

Pokemon TCGO has it (you can spend money on gems to use in-game) but PTCGO is completely playable without spending a dime. I'll probably pick this up to try it and only play it during commutes to and from work.

That seems like it's more or less the same thing? You can play Shuffle without spending a dime as well, you'll just need to wait between plays.

That seems like it's more or less the same thing? You can play Shuffle without spending a dime as well, you'll just need to wait between plays.

Exactly, that's what I don't get about the outrage of suddenly having this as if Pokemon wasn't doing this already and it really isn't that much of a cash grab in PTCGO. My issue is why its on the 3DS when I'd imagine it would be more lucrative on an iPhone or something (or an iPad if you need the real estate for the two screens).

I hate the way TCGO works too. It's forcing us to either buy real cards or use actual money just to get more cards in-game. It's hardly much "playable" without doing it since you're so limited.
But it doesn't work for me anymore and I kind of gave up on it... I guess you don't see as many people complaining about that cause not as many are that into the TCG

I only ever spent money on three booster packs to commemorate my trying out PTCGO and never spent another dime and did pretty well. There are users here that play TCGO that never spend money.

You aren't forced to buy cards, its rewarding people who still play with a physical deck (that's what TCGO is for--to advertise the card games and to let people play with others around the world). And not that many are into TCG? There's annual tournaments held for it along with VGC, and no matter what time of day I'm on there's always someone to fight regardless of format. In contrast, something like PBR, I fight the same two people if I ever decide to battle more than twice in a row.

I'm actually considering getting Trozei right now...

You've got to be kidding me. At least tell me you were already planning on buying Trozei. So they release a f2p app with optional micro-transactions (I hardly think I'd get so caught up in puzzle games that I'd need more than five stages at a time) that you rage at, and now will buy the full retail game in some sort of weird act of revenge? Yes, throw money at them. It honestly sounds like you're upset they didn't make a full retail game for free.

And not that many are into TCG?

just look around bulbagarden and other pkmn communities. TCG is pretty much the least talked about subject... so many people ignore the TCGO while paying way more attention to 3DS games - explaining why you didn't see as much rage over the TCGO.

You've got to be kidding me. At least tell me you were already planning on buying Trozei. So they release a f2p app with optional micro-transactions (I hardly think I'd get so caught up in puzzle games that I'd need more than five stages at a time) that you rage at, and now will buy the full retail game in some sort of weird act of revenge? Yes, throw money at them. It honestly sounds like you're upset they didn't make a full retail game for free.

not really "revenge". I did consider getting Trozei before and seeing them release pretty much the same game but for what would ultimately cost me way more just made Trozei feel a bit of a better purchase since it's basically the same thing just without being limited. I guess that's another issue I have with it in addition to the micro-transactions: they didn't make any effort to make this different from Trozei. It feels like a very awkward copy-paste of an existing game rather than a truly new game...

just look around bulbagarden and other pkmn communities. TCG is pretty much the least talked about subject... so many people ignore the TCGO while paying way more attention to 3DS games - explaining why you didn't see as much rage over the TCGO.

TCG isn't discussed much on Bulbagarden, but it has a pretty decent fanbase. That fanbase just isn't on this site.

If Game Freak are literally trying to profit by knocking off a game that the majority of people play while sat on the toilet, then I think they need to re-evaluate their business decisions.

Re: Pokémon Shuffle

SnorlaxMonster said:
TCG isn't disscussed much on Bulbagarden, but it has a pretty decent fanbase. But that fanbase just isn't on this site.
I've seen more people irl playing the TCG than the actual video games themselves. But it's probably not a very vocal fanbase or aren't on every Pokémon related website.

Treacle said:
Maybe this is Masuda's 'mobile- style game' he's so obsessed with...-_-
Yeah he's obviously doing what Pokémon fans really want, mindless fun. But someone will inevitably defend this game, no matter how bad it is. I mean seriously isn't there another Pokémon puzzle game on the 3DS?

Bolt the Cat said:
Of course they would make a F2P Pokémon game, because obviously they need to exploit the ''kids don't have time for video games'' mentality
These kids today with their smarty phones and what not. Seriously when I was a kid I wasted my free time playing video games all the time, there was never nothing much more amazing than playing a video game (to me), except there is which is playing video games with multiple people.

Piplup said:
I was sure they'll finally revealed more about Detective Pikachu but we got this instead...meh.
What ever happened to that game?
Was it cancelled?
Or was it just a a tech demo?
I actually wanted to buy that game if it was released on the 3DS.

Overall I'm not downloading this game on February. Because why would I download this...I would rather buy Pac-Man on the 3DS Virtual Console rather than downloading this free game (Pac-Man is a great game, in fact more fun than Pokémon Shuffle could ever be).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom