• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Game +?

Reaction score
It probably won't happen, but what would you guys like to see for a NewGame+ option?

My ideas:
- Trainers would have higher levels, and Gym Leaders, E4 and Champion would have more/different Pokémon, a la Challenge mode.
- You'd keep your TMs, non-story key items, or maybe even all items that are not directly related to the story.
- You'd keep the same Pokedex entries, but not the Pokémon; you'd be able to choose 30 Pokémon (a box) to keep but you wouldn't be able to withdraw them until after beating the E4.
- There could be subtle differences in the game, such as changing the puzzles around, adding new wild Pokémon species in certain areas, having the starter or some legendaries have their hidden Ability, or battles with the rival in unexpected places.

What else would you like to see for an option like this?

So, a harder replay of the story? I don't know if that will happen, but it sounds like a cool idea to me. I am the type of person who loves to go through a game's story more than once, so this would be great for me. Plus, that fact that it would test your skills would give it some kind of fresh feel. If they ever have a replay mode of the adventure, I'm in!

Like LoZ's Master Quest? This is what I wish the challenge mode would be. I guess the challenge mode is only for training your Pokemon after you've beat the game once.

If you keep your items, does that mean you will find new, different, items in the replay? I would like a Master Quest for Pokemon, and it would be nice to play the game twice and still keep your old Pokemon, because you'd want to train new ones. It is always more fun to play through the game when training, rather than walk around randomly at some spot. I used to restart my games a lot, whenever I wanted to train some new Pokemon.

Changing puzzles and wild Pokemon remind me of Blue Version. It was a bit of a Master Quest, since it was a little harder than Red/Green I think. The only difference is that Blue is its own game, on another cartridge. Of course we would like different versions to exist in one game, so that we can replay it, but GF will continue making separate versions, and even though you buy both versions . . . I hate to trade >_<

I'm all for any sort of replay+ feature. I've talked to people who find pokémon boring because the main storyline is so easy to finish (they don't like battling with other players). This at least will add more value to the game for them, since they still like pokémon, but dislike how short it seems.

Plus, it will make things a bit more exciting when people restart just for the heck of it.

The replay option would be a great addition. I'm not a fan of how Black and White was done where you'd lose a lot of your stuff if you'd restart. Like stuff from the dreamworld that you couldn't get back because they were events.
I really don't know what New Game + is.

The replay option would be a great addition. I'm not a fan of how Black and White was done where you'd lose a lot of your stuff if you'd restart. Like stuff from the dreamworld that you couldn't get back because they were events.
I really don't know what New Game + is.

"New game +" is a method where the player can resetting the game with some of their items being carried over. After carried over, the player's names can be change once again, and starts a new game with carried-over items (in Pokémon games' case, all Pokémon are carried over, plus PokéDex data).

Personally, all I wish for is the difficulty difference to be greater than that seen in B2W2 and for Challenge Mode (and Easy Mode for the kids) to be available from the very beginning.

Nah when I finish the game I want end game content not the cheap ass new game + nonsense.

If you want to play through a 2nd time on harder difficulty. Transfer your mons and restart and do a nuzlock.

Honestly, I'd prefer to see a Challenge Mode setting from the beginning. A legitimately challenging Challenge Mode.

I just don't feel like an actual New Game+ feature would work in the context of Pokemon. How would you explain something like that story-wise?

Only if you get to fight a DNA-styled legendary (Xerneas/Yveltal or maybe Deoxys?) at different points of the New Game+ and you can get different endings when you do so.

I don't think a New Game + feature would work well with a linear game like Pokemon. In the Pokemon games, so much emphasis is placed on the journey itself, which includes leveling your Pokemon up, earning badges, completing the Pokedex, and collecting various items. To start a new game already having certain items or even fully-trained Pokemon would sort of defeat the purpose of the game. New Game + works best for games that have multiple endings and/or unlockable areas/characters. Not to mention they'd have to allow multiple save files before even thinking about implementing a New Game + feature.

As for difficulty modes, they're usually separate from the New Game + feature.

Honestly, it's beyond my comprehension why Pokemon games still don't have basic features like multiple save files and difficulty modes that don't have be unlocked via some lame gimmick.

I'm against the idea... I just don't see the point of it.

Pokemon is a unique RPG where the gameplay doesn't simply end once all the story parameters are completed, and all side quests are finished. You can carry on training your team and carry on building strategies and movesets hundreds of hours into gameplay.

I can see why you'd want a new game plus feature, as it's a cool idea that works in plenty of other RPGs, but I don't think it'd work so well here.

Nah when I finish the game I want end game content not the cheap ass new game + nonsense.

This. I'd rather see a lot more end game stories and quests after finishing the game. Keep me interesting Game Freak dammit.

Perhaps a larger game world with some repeatable events could be an alternate choice. Because I seldom find any fun place in which to train my Pokemon. It's so boring to grind. Trainer Rematches is one good point in DP and HGSS, but I would want to see something like small missions. Something you can do to collect exp at the same time. A replay would give you the story back again to train new Pokemon, then in the end combine these Pokemon with your old team. At least that is better than training a hundred monsters to lv.100 in one and the same place.

When it comes to difficulty, higher opponent levels often mean you can train much faster. A real difficulty would be if the opponent's level was in relation to your own; like for instance 50+, where it's minimum 50 or else at your own level, or your level minus 5 or something. When it comes to changes to dungeons, items, etc, that's why GF make different versions of each game.

I'm much more interested in the ability to replay the story without having to buy a new game or loose all my stuff. As such I'd prefer the game reset my old pokemon to level 5. Same moves, same stage, same EVs and IVs. The legendaries would not be able to be recaptured and you would have to start with the same starter.

It would be interesting if Hard mode turned all trainer battles into Battle facility style battles in which all Pokemon are set at level 50. Leaving wild battles the same for leveling up.

Maybe if they de-leveled your mons, but I don't actually know how it could work on a linear game such as pokémon, it would kind of go against the premise if you ask me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom