• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Gym Leaders and Elite 4?

Reaction score
Would the original members stay or go?

Personally, I want them to stay with some changes to the roster.

As for the champion, STEVEN ♥

Last edited:
I think everyone is going to stay, and get really cool new clothing like everyone did in HGSS. Also, looking forward to seeing how Flannery has matured!

What if the order is redone? And if Winona's Gym is a Sky Battle?

Can't wait to face Norman and his Slakings again, and Tate & Liza (can you say NOSTALGIA?).

Also, I realllllllllllllllly hope the E4 get some character development this time around.

Last edited:
I hope everyone will stay as well. No point in creating new characters when you already have well-established ones, IMO.

Keep the same people, please. They didn't really stick out as much as the other Gym Leaders did in my opinion, but this just gives Game Freak plenty of opportunity to give them more personality. Even if they do something similar to what they did in HGSS by allowing you to call the Gym Leaders and having battles with them after you're Champion would be great. They should especially do this with the E4 trainers.

EDIT: They should somehow incorporate Juan into the story, though! Similar to what they did with Eusine in HGSS. (It'll be harder with Juan, no doubt, but they can do it.)

Don't think it's still clear if these will be remakes or a new story with Hoenn as the setting, or even another Region but with the same Legendaries. There's a lot of unknowns, but going by the most likely (Remakes), I do hope they don't change anyone. Seeing redesigns will be great! If it's a new story in Hoenn to make it contemporary with the current games, however, I can see a few changes in characters. Mainly retire the older ones and have new faces, but some stay, like in BW2.

I'm hoping they don't make the gym leaders difficulties similar to XY's gym leaders. One thing I remember about playing RSE was how difficult some of the gym leaders could be. XY's gym leaders were far too easy.

Also, please, please, replace one (preferably both) of Glacia's Sealeo with something different. Maybe a Froslass, given Snorunt will be in the dex. The repetition was bad (and one of the reasons I'm in favour of adding to the Pokedex, but that's for a different topic).

And if Winona's Gym is a Sky Battle?

That would be neat, but it would force you to either over train one Flying type, or train a bunch of Flying types.

I'm hoping they don't make the gym leaders difficulties similar to XY's gym leaders. One thing I remember about playing RSE was how difficult some of the gym leaders could be. XY's gym leaders were far too easy.

Also, please, please, replace one (or both) of Glacia's Sealeo with something different. Maybe a Froslass, given Snorunt will be in the dex. The repetition was bad (and one of the reasons I'm in favour of adding to the Pokedex, but that's for a different topic).

That would be neat, but it would force you to either over train one Flying type, or train a bunch of Flying types.

Oh yes, difficult they were (Norman, Tate & Liza, Flannery, Winona).

Hmm well maybe her first 2-3 Pokemon will be battled in a normal manner, then the battle stops and she opens the ceiling in her gym. Thus the final battle with her signature Altaria will be a Sky Battle? That would be pretty epic, especially with the animation and all (and only requires one Pokemon that can fly or levitate on your part).

Being based on two arguments:
In the trailer it said: "A new world to explore" and in XY there was a man who said: "Its not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh or even Unova, its a new region you will see in a due"
So maybe the setting of the game will not be Hoenn.

New Pokemon? New Pokedex? New Megas? I'm so excitedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd x)))))))))))))

Keep the same people, please. They didn't really stick out as much as the other Gym Leaders did in my opinion, but this just gives Game Freak plenty of opportunity to give them more personality. Even if they do something similar to what they did in HGSS by allowing you to call the Gym Leaders and having battles with them after you're Champion would be great. They should especially do this with the E4 trainers.

EDIT: They should somehow incorporate Juan into the story, though! Similar to what they did with Eusine in HGSS. (It'll be harder with Juan, no doubt, but they can do it.)

There's probably going to be contests in the game, and seeing how Juan is a contest master (or the mentor of contest master Wallace), it won't be too difficult to include Juan in the game.

Phoebe should also replace one of her Dusclops with a Dusknoir or something.

Also... it would be cool if the E4 and champion all had Mega-evos!!

Sydney: Mega-Absol
Phoebe: Mega-Banette
Glacia: Mega-Abomasnow (or something else if there is one)
Drake: Mega-Ampharos
Steven: Mega-Aggron

I don't think it would be very fair to swap out the gym leaders just yet, but I do think they're going to get some new toys to play around with because I think the Hoenn Dex will be bigger in this game. This would be especially useful for the Elite 4, almost all of which had too few families of Pokemon to make a diverse and challenging roster out of.

People found Flannery and Tate & Liza hard? They were pathetically easy, Norman and Winona on the other hand with his Slaking 670 BST and her Altaria were annoying. They should develop Gym Leaders and E4 more, i found a few of them quite boring.

People found Flannery and Tate & Liza hard? They were pathetically easy, Norman and Winona on the other hand with his Slaking 670 BST and her Altaria were annoying. They should develop Gym Leaders and E4 more, i found a few of them quite boring.

Considering Tate and Liza were the first ever gym leaders that we fight as a double battle, I can understand that people would have had trouble. Also, you meet Solrock and Lunatone the first time in the gym if you haven't met one in Meteor Falls, so the typing could had been confusing as well. Everything about Tate and Liza was new.

I agree they should develop the gym leaders and E4. They should have upgraded teams and more personal backstory. I want to know if Sydney really is part of a band or something - he carries a guitar in Adventures.

Considering Tate and Liza were the first ever gym leaders that we fight as a double battle, I can understand that people would have had trouble. Also, you meet Solrock and Lunatone the first time in the gym if you haven't met one in Meteor Falls, so the typing could had been confusing as well. Everything about Tate and Liza was new.

I agree they should develop the gym leaders and E4. They should have upgraded teams and more personal backstory. I want to know if Sydney really is part of a band or something - he carries a guitar in Adventures.
I had a Swampert and they have Rock words in their names so i just spammed Surf, that was also probably why i found Flannery easy, i guess it depends on what mons you have. And also each E4 member should defintely have a Mega Evo.

As a kid I just Surfed my way out of it LOL.

I want the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members to be the same ones, just with new designs (clothes, hair cuts, etc). Also, give them some Gen 4~6 Pokémon.

Well fortunately, Fairies are going to make Altaria a joke this time.

If any Gym leaders or Elites are going to replaced; I say if since I heavily doubt it; Wattson and Drake should be replaced as they are currently the oldest members of the generation. Other then that I'd like them to keep Norman's Dojo gym but maybe a few changes here and there like more 'physical' based given he is the man in the pursuit of power.

Well fortunately, Fairies are going to make Altaria a joke this time.
Or if you have acess to a decent Ice type mon, i don't think you had acess to a decent Ice type mon before Winona in R/S/E.

I can see them giving you a Flying-type or Levitating Pokémon around that point in the game so that you have some options, similar to what they did with Lucario and the Lucarionite in X/Y. Maybe a Lunatone or Solrock with a nice Rock-type move (lol) to make the battle easier.

Though the fact that you would be forced to use a Sky Battle-eligible Pokémon for a battle--a Gym Leader battle, no less--means I doubt Winona as a Gym Leader would do Sky Battle. Maybe outside of the Gym, sure.

I actually hope they replace Phoebe and Glacia. There aren't enough unique Ghost or Ice-types in Hoenn for them to have varied teams. I'd rather E4 members focused on Ground, Grass, Bug... something Hoenn has plenty of.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom