• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Gym Leaders and Elite 4?

we won't truly know if leaf still exists until red/blue get remade again ( and you know its coming too, GF can't go to long without a kanto revisit, and lyra is kris's replacement) Jessie and james were for the yellow game it was a special one based off the anime so they don't count (if they're basing it off the anime that pikachu should have been able to kill ground types xD)

I can only hope that this battle resort is something better then the frontier, heres hoping.

Jessie and james were for the yellow game it was a special one based off the anime so they don't count (if they're basing it off the anime that pikachu should have been able to kill ground types xD)

Yellow is 100% game canon and is Gen 1's Third Version, like it or not. (It's also the game that the original GSC took as canon.)

However, I do agree that we'll probably see another Gen 1 remake, although I have a feeling that Leaf might not make the cut (Especially, if they remake Yellow or otherwise, ignore FireRed and LeafGreen). This is another discussion for another thread, however.

True, although the Battle Resort, itself, is putting seven other Emerald-exclusive characters at risk for being retconned.

(Let's be honest, why would they call it the "Battle Resort" if it was the same facility from Emerald? No, we don't know enough about it to be sure of anything, but seeing as ORAS doesn't seem to be incorporating hardly anything from Emerald, I'm not getting my hopes up.)

Juan not being in the game doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Sure, just like Jessie, James, Kris, and Leaf all still "exist," despite not making it into FireRed and LeafGreen (Jessie and James) or HeartGold and SoulSilver (Kris and Leaf). It all depends on whether or not Emerald is still canon after the remakes come out.

Well, if Wallace didn't become Champion until after the events in HgSs, then Steven's comments are no longer out of place, while the events in PWT remains intact.

That's a good explanation, but it still isn't anything but a headcanon unless we actually see it in the games. Next Gen, I wouldn't mind seeing a GSC/HGSS-style sequel to the Hoenn games that clears any of these issues up, although I have a feeling that GF doesn't care about continuity nearly enough to do it. :-/

I don't think the remakes overwrite the third versions. But then again, do the third versions overwrite the paired versions? We only have Yellow and Platinum confirmed to be canon. For this reason, we assume Crystal and Emerald to be canon, but this is never confirmed. I think everyone should just pick and choose what they want to be canon.

Juan, the Frontier Brains, Leaf, Kris and the TRio all still exist canonically in the world of the games because they were created for specific "canonical" games. They just probably won't ever show up again. Well, maybe Leaf will come back. Actually, I'm sure she'll come back. (After all, she was planned for the original Kanto games, then scrapped at the last minute...)

True, although the Battle Resort, itself, is putting seven other Emerald-exclusive characters at risk for being retconned.

(Let's be honest, why would they call it the "Battle Resort" if it was the same facility from Emerald? No, we don't know enough about it to be sure of anything, but seeing as ORAS doesn't seem to be incorporating hardly anything from Emerald, I'm not getting my hopes up.)

Sure, just like Jessie, James, Kris, and Leaf all still "exist," despite not making it into FireRed and LeafGreen (Jessie and James) or HeartGold and SoulSilver (Kris and Leaf). It all depends on whether or not Emerald is still canon after the remakes come out.

Well, if Wallace didn't become Champion until after the events in HgSs, then Steven's comments are no longer out of place, while the events in PWT remains intact.

That's a good explanation, but it still isn't anything but a headcanon unless we actually see it in the games. Next Gen, I wouldn't mind seeing a GSC/HGSS-style sequel to the Hoenn games that clears any of these issues up, although I have a feeling that GF doesn't care about continuity nearly enough to do it. :-/

I don't think the remakes overwrite the third versions. But then again, do the third versions overwrite the paired versions? We only have Yellow and Platinum confirmed to be canon. For this reason, we assume Crystal and Emerald to be canon, but this is never confirmed. I think everyone should just pick and choose what they want to be canon.

Juan, the Frontier Brains, Leaf, Kris and the TRio all still exist canonically in the world of the games because they were created for specific "canonical" games. They just probably won't ever show up again. Well, maybe Leaf will come back. Actually, I'm sure she'll come back. (After all, she was planned for the original Kanto games, then scrapped at the last minute...)

So leaf is the yamcha of pokemon then?

xD (exists but won't ever pop up again)

So leaf is the yamcha of pokemon then?

xD (exists but won't ever pop up again)

I guess lol

First, Blue was the third version, Yellow was a special edition tie-in created to be more similar to the anime and even then there were parts of Yellow that remain canon and there's nothing to suggest that JJ&M in Yellow didn't exist. It's not like we met the past GSC Executives in RBY.

Second, unlike Kris, Juan's role wasn't replaced by another character so his existing doesn't negate anything else.

Third, unlike Leaf, Juan isn't just an interchangeable character model with no distinct story of their own. Just look at Leaf and Red's design--give Leaf a hair cut and she's Red.

Fourth, unlike Leaf or Kris, Juan isn't simply tied to Emerald, but is also tied to events in games that happen after his native games.

Juan's existence in canon isn't negated simply by not being there in a game he was never featured in to begin with. He wasn't replaced by a new character, and his role wasn't simply interchangeable with another (in which a future game chose one).

Well, the Hoenn part of the PWT was clearly based on Emerald, with Juan being the 8th Gym Leader and Wallace as the Champion. As for Crystal, well, HeartGold and SoulSilver included many elements from it (with the exception of Kris).

Well, maybe Leaf will come back. Actually, I'm sure she'll come back. (After all, she was planned for the original Kanto games, then scrapped at the last minute...)

Only if Gen 1 gets remade again, and even then, that's a *huge* maybe. If they could scrap Kris for a new character, I could easily see the same happening to Leaf.

First, Blue was the third version, Yellow was a special edition tie-in created to be more similar to the anime and even then there were parts of Yellow that remain canon and there's nothing to suggest that JJ&M in Yellow didn't exist. It's not like we met the past GSC Executives in RBY.

Blue was a "Third Version" only in ONE country, and even then, it wasn't anything but a special edition (Yes, I said it) with a few new sprites and wild Pokémon changes that was released exclusively for CoroCoro subscribers. (So, it was a game that few people even played.) It didn't make any real changes to the game's plot like Yellow (and the later on, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum) would do. Just because Yellow took some inspiration from the then-popular anime doesn't make it any less legit.

As for the second part, well, that all depends on whether or not FRLG actually replace Yellow as the "canon" for Gen 1. There's been some debate over that.

Second, unlike Kris, Juan's role wasn't replaced by another character so his existing doesn't negate anything else.

Gym Leader Wallace, who's that?

Just look at Leaf and Red's design--give Leaf a hair cut and she's Red.

And, vice-versa. And, yet, somehow, Red got to return in HGSS.

Fourth, unlike Leaf or Kris, Juan isn't simply tied to Emerald, but is also tied to events in games that happen after his native games.

Juan's been in exactly TWO games after Emerald--Black 2 and White 2--and that's only because Hoenn had to have an 8th Gym Leader for the PWT, and B2W2 took Emerald as the canon story for Generation 3, so thus, Juan's the Gym Leader and Wallace is the Champion.

Juan's existence in canon isn't negated simply by not being there in a game he was never featured in to begin with.

He may have only been a part of Emerald, but ORAS are still Gen 3 remakes, and Emerald's just as much a part of Gen 3 as Ruby and Sapphire. He deserves to, at least, have a cameo.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom