• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audien

Remember, all Pokémon will be drawn in the artist's style. They may not look 100% like their Sugimori art. It reminds me of when Zekrom first appeared in the Movie 14 teaser - the close up of its head.

Re: New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audien

I thought Zekrom was like the size of Dialga?

@Neku I doubt Nintendo will care at all it'll just come down to Viz who already has manga with a load of blood n violence.

Shonen Jump is meant for 13-19 year-olds. Christ Cohen we're cool n' everythin' but you cannot just wait to make pokemon look bad n talk down to it at every turn n talk bout' how you think Yu gi oh better can you? Pokemon is makin' the 10 top high rated ratings shows n japan every week when the last time Yu-gi got on the list.

But it isn't, Shonen Jump is meant for kids (older than Coro-Coro, but Coro is meant for young kids, like 6 year olds)

I would love the design of this guy if it wasn't for me seeing him in other toyetic manga.

I thought Zekrom was like the size of Dialga?

@Neku I doubt Nintendo will care at all it'll just come down to Viz who already has manga with a load of blood n violence.

The IP belongs to Nintendo, who's stated before they want Pokemon to be viewed as a kid-friendly franchise. Releasing a Pokemon series with more violence/fanservice than parents are okay with isn't going to help them with that. Even with a rating system in place, it's known parents don't pay attention to the ratings on much of ANYTHING, and the last thing NoA and TPCI want is some angry soccer mom ending up on the news because Little Bobby's Pokemon comic book had violence and boobies in it.

If we see this at all, it will probably be with heavy edits, similar to the reprint of Pokemon Adventures and the removal of some of the dodgier jokes.

But it isn't, Shonen Jump is meant for kids (older than Coro-Coro, but Coro is meant for young kids, like 6 year olds)

I would love the design of this guy if it wasn't for me seeing him in other toyetic manga.

Target audience target audience. Though a lotta older 25-35 y/old men r known for buyin' Jump on the way to work.

Why does it matter? Who's the guy?

@Neku I seriously doubt their gonna throw titties n a bunch of nose bleed fanservice n this manga Violence is normal America's gotten use to it see all the Transformer movies with violence but r meant for a 9-17y/old audience? No biggie. A lil' smokin' prob aint gonna be a prob. No one prob aint gonna give a rat's ass cause of ya know these r animal like creatures fightin' not humans.

Target audience matters, why wouldn't it?

Words can not describe the amount of win it will contain.

EDIT: More badass characters in another pic.
newmanga2.jpg

Yes, this IS pokemon.

Last edited:

I like the look of this new manga. I stopped reading Pokemon-based manga years ago, but it seems like I might be interested in this new one, depending on what it's about. I love the look of the main character the most <3

I think this will be amazing. And I really don't think that is Zekrom... it looks more like Infernape than Zekrom... not that I think it's Infernape.

newmanga2.jpg

Yes, this IS pokemon.

COOL! Those character look like somethin' outta One Piece or Bleach!

COOL! Those character look like somethin' outta One Piece or Bleach!

Or any other manga from 5 years ago.

Post count wise? No, but to prove that it is just generic characters, yes. I personally like the character on the far left, as he reminds me of Hiruma (YA-HA guy) from Eyeshield 21.

I think my favorite design is the guy to the right of the protagonist...the sleep mask on his head sells it for me. I wonder if he uses sleepers like Snorlax?

Anyway, I was thinking, which Pokemon do you think will be the protagonist's main? If they go the starter route, I'd like to see Mijumaru, since they can do some cool stuff with his sword, but I'd like for them, and I think they will, use a lesser known Pokemon instead. Maybe a dragon Pokemon, like Kibago, or perhaps a nod to Pikachu and go with Emonga. It's pretty neat.

Post count wise? No, but to prove that it is just generic characters, yes.
Perhaps, but the artist also gets to put his own spin on the Pokemon as well, which will hopefully be the main visual treat. Ono for example had a really interesting style to his Pokemon, with them look a bit more realistic, while still giving them personality when the situation called for it. I hope we get a nice mix here, and that the artist doesn't push the Pokemon completely in the background and reduce them to tools for fighting.

newmanga2.jpg

Yes, this IS pokemon.

That guy next to the hero looks like some dude from Cowboy Bebop. The guy next to the girl reminds me of Zenpachi Zaraki. I think I like the hero the best nice cool look. I can understand a lil' bit of the Hiragana n Katakana but the Kanji is hell on the eyes.

Actually, scratch that about Mijumaru, Kibago, or Emonga...I want to see this dude rock out with the 'Geki brothers.

There we go. A little something for da older fans. Lets hope for anime of dis next :D

Was that really worth it?

Was that? But cohen beat me to it. Its not that surprising that manga-style characters are similar in appearance, though I wouldn't have said this looked like One Peace since that manga actually has a more distinct style compared to the more generic art out there. There was really no point in singling out those two manga.

That guy next to the hero looks like some dude from Cowboy Bebop.
That's what I was thinking too.

I hope those eight characters on the protagonist's side aren't actually gym leaders and that the story has more or less of an ensemble cast.

I actually realized there are TEN people next to the hero...there are two short people, one on each side, that you can barely see, but they're there. There is a big nosed dwarf next to the cowboy on the left, and an old man at the far right.

I think the two right next to the hero, the girl and sleep mask, are his friends probably, but I still maintain the others are Gym Leaders. The sailor guy's probably a Water-type trainer. The other characters look a lot older, unlike the three kids in the center, so that's why I don't think they'll be on the main cast per say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom