• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Mechanic

Reaction score
xy-jp-logo.jpg
tumblr_o35yzj2k5y1r8sc3ro1_500.jpg
logo.png

Notice a pattern? If I had to guess, that symbol foreshadows Sword/Shield forms or something along those lines. Armored Mewtwo could be the first Shield (Defense-based) representative.

I don't like the idea, so don't shoot the messenger.

Not really sure I buy the Armored "leak" to begin with; admittedly, "Sword and Shield" aren't the names anyone was guessing at the time, but I don't think they'd be that hard to come up with by chance if you were just trying to think of opposing concepts that could work as game names. And I guess the wolves in the logos could just be stylistic and unrelated to the alleged "metal snake and wooden horse" Legendaries, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

It's all arbitrary gut feeling on my part, but those stylized Poké Balls strike me as less distinct than the other mechanic emblems. Maybe it represents a new unique battle format? Or like, a new battle mechanic, maybe, but not one that relies on physical transformation. Something more to do with offensive/defensive style. One of the things that I did really like about Z-Moves was that they weren't just nukes, and that you could also apply them to status moves for a more tactical approach. I'd like it if they built on that.

I think the new mechanic will revolve mainly around soccer as the uniform worn by one of the PCs when walking towards the stadium bears the same symbol

Last edited:
I think the new mechanic will revolve mainly around soccer as the uniform worn by the female in when walking towards the stadium bears the same symbol
could be how they're doing gyms this time around. we all may have jumped to the conclusion that gyms are back, but considering that the 'gyms' are stadium-themed, perhaps we have something different (yet still gym-like). (also i still only count 5 arenas, which is interesting.)

Or we get back and new megas. Hmm venusaur sword and blastoise shield anyone? Those would deserve it. Type change this time...

could be how they're doing gyms this time around. we all may have jumped to the conclusion that gyms are back, but considering that the 'gyms' are stadium-themed, perhaps we have something different (yet still gym-like). (also i still only count 5 arenas, which is interesting.)
We didn't jump to the conclusion that gyms are back.

Pokémon.com said:
You’ll visit the various Gyms in the Galar region, aiming for the enviable and admirable title of Champion!

The thing is, if they are doing something new with them.

I suppose this would explain Melmetal's introduction, bc a few leaks were going with the idea of its metal being used to forge these theoretical armors. I just want it to be at least a semi-permanent change if so, or something that is definitively separate from Mega-evolution. I know people speculate that this may have more to do with the gym stadiums than form changes, but that is too gimmicky to me as well. It's not like the BW game's biggest legacy was triple battles, or Sky battles for X & Y.

May tie in to an industrialization theme regarding Galar, or a theme of tech advancement overall.

That symbol is definitely tied to the stadiums and it's shaped a lot more like a soccer ball than an armor, so...

Whatever battle style this is, it's more relevant than double battles because it's actually incorporated into gyms (rather than just one).

Last edited:
Idk whether it would mean anything but I feel like the names "sword and shield" might just simply allude to offense and defense in relation to sports, and that new mechanic might not be a mechanic but just the "sports" minigames or side thing or whatever. Impossible to tell at this point but just saying.

Or it will test all of them in different ways? Stronger? We know that real strenght is not only one stats, strenght is also defense nit only ofense. Speed and ability also play a role. Maybe they will explore that this gen?

Or we get back and new megas. Hmm venusaur sword and blastoise shield anyone? Those would deserve it. Type change this time...
Also, Mega Eeveelutions this time (not basic Eevee since he already got his exclusive Z-Move).

Desolate Land Mega Flareon and Slush Rush Mega Glaceon could save the Flareon and Glaceon from scrappy heap respectively.

I suppose this would explain Melmetal's introduction, bc a few leaks were going with the idea of its metal being used to forge these theoretical armors.
Now I'm pictured people capturing melmetal and dumping them into smelters to finish them off and then pour the resulting metal to make armor. ...Considering my dislike for this new pokemon line I'm kind of endeared to this mental image.

View: https://twitter.com/Pokebip/status/1101989200528924672

Feel like this is relevant. Apparently the theme of the games themselves is: "The strongest Pokemon." Perhaps that really does relate to the revamped Gyms/Stadiums, but in what way? Have EVs & IVs been totally retooled?

I'm only cool with messing with stats if it's gonna give me a way to use the pokemon I love instead of the ones that are "good". I hate the idea of making the OPs even more OP and leaving others in the dust.
----
I'm still super disappointed that these arenas are probably the gym equivalents. When I first saw them I was super excited because I thought the pokeathlon was back. -o- I just want more ways to use my pokemon beyond having them tear each other apart.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom