• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Move naming contest

BlueWaves

Join the BlueLions!
Reaction score
From Serebii: There is apparently a new Steel type move that players in Japan can sign up for to give a new move too. Here's the text:
Type: Steel
Category: Special
Power: 140

Effect:
Reduces Hit Points of the user by 50%

First time with Diamond and Pearl since we had this. Why this is in Japan only, I dunno. Since the games are getting a global release, why not everyone? Regardless, kind of weird that they did not show the animation of the move, since this contest is pretty much a guessing game unless they show it later on.

From Serebii: There is apparently a new Steel type move that players in Japan can sign up for to give a new move too. Here's the text:

Effect:

First time with Diamond and Pearl since we had this. Why this is in Japan only, I dunno. Since the games are getting a global release, why not everyone? Regardless, kind of weird that they did not show the animation of the move, since this contest is pretty much a guessing game unless they show it later on.
Didn't they do the same thing back then? The fact that they are asking for a name without giving any details makes me think that they will possibly do the animation once they settle for a name. At least, that's what I think that happened with Draco Meteor.

I mean, the contest for Draco Meteor only said it was for "the strongest Dragon-Type move" without any other info.

Didn't they do the same thing back then? The fact that they are asking for a name without giving any details makes me think that they will possibly do the animation once they settle for a name. At least, that's what I think that happened with Draco Meteor.

I mean, the contest for Draco Meteor only said it was "for the strongest Dragon-Type move" without any other info.
Really? I didn't know that. My bad.

Effect:

Looks like something similar to Mind Blown.

And even if Pokemon is popular all over the world, GameFreak is a Japanese company. I don't see problems with them limiting the event to Japan only.

Looks like something similar to Mind Blown.

And even if Pokemon is popular all over the world, GameFreak is a Japanese company. I don't see problems with them limiting the event to Japan only.
I know, but still Pokemon is a global Phenomenon. Would it really hurt to allow international participation?

I know, but still Pokemon is a global Phenomenon. Would it really hurt to allow international participation?
It might not hurt the company.

But to go through thousands of submissions sent from all over the world in all languages? All that to decide on a single name of an attacking move out of hundreds of moves that exist within a game? That's bound to take a lot of time and cost a lot of money.

There's just way too many realistic problems involved even for a successful franchise like Pokemon. This seems more or less a small event hosted just for fun.

It might not hurt the company.

But to go through thousands of submissions sent from all over the world in all languages? All that to decide on a single name of an attacking move out of hundreds of moves that exist within a game? That's bound to take a lot of time and cost a lot of money.

There's just way too many realistic problems involved even for a successful franchise like Pokemon.
The submissions can also be in English or traditional Japanese Katana. Maybe it'll a be bit more work, but not to the point that it would be significantly too much work if they allow English submissions.

Special?

Flash Meteor, Flash Comet, Flash Roar
Flash could be change into Light ,Chrome, Titanium, Gold , Silver, Mercury...
Hmm reduces

I think the name should come from metals that evaporate...

how can we name a move if we don't know what pokemon is using it?

They could atleast show what current pokemon will be able to learn it or if its for a leggendary.
If one of the Legendary wolfs then a Mercury Roar would be nice.

If for all steel types then Mercury Blast(can also be a sound and bomb move at the same time)

Interesting what will people create. If someone want's to use my idea they can. I won't participate.

These were my ideas when I saw the contest:
  1. Mercury Rain
  2. Mercury Blast
  3. Radio Wave (maybe Radio Blast?)

I chose mercury since it’s poisonous and would fit the loss of 50% HP, and Radio-related name due to radiation.

The submissions can also be in English or traditional Japanese Katana. Maybe it'll a be bit more work, but not to the point that it would be significantly too much work if they allow English submissions.
You said you wished this to be an international event.

Then why only English and Japanese? Why not other languages? What about the pokemon fans who doesn't speak either languages? Are they excluded from the "international" event?

If this is going to be an "international" event just to allow English-speaking people and still leave out people who speak other languages, then wouldn't that be even more unfair?

Just because they open up the event to allow English-submissions doesn't automatically make it "international". If it's going to be "international", it should include all languages.

You said you wished this to be an international event.

Then why only English and Japanese? Why not other languages? What about the pokemon fans who doesn't speak either languages? Are they excluded from the "international" event?

If this is going to be an "international" event just to allow English-speaking people and still leave out people who speak other languages, then wouldn't that be even more unfair?

Just because they open up the event to allow English-submissions doesn't automatically make it "international". If it's going to be "international", it should include all languages.
That wasn’t my point. My point was that if there including English I don’t have see to much of a reason to hold it back Internationally, of course I’d say they would need to include other languages if that’s the case.

That wasn’t my point. My point was that if there including English I don’t have see to much of a reason to hold it back Internationally, of course I’d say they would need to include other languages if that’s the case.
If they were going to include the fans from all over the world then they should include more than just English-speaking people otherwise it isn't "international".

That's where they'd have realistic problems. If they include all languages, it'll take a long time to get through all the translations even by using electronic translations, and electronic translations aren't 100% accurate, not to mention sorting through all kinds of errors. And the sheer amount of submissions would be difficult to read through even if they're doing everything electronically. When you think about the money and time that could be spent this way, all to allow fan participation in deciding a single move name, it isn't doable.

By limiting the event to just Japan, it's a lot more easier for them to manage the event in addition to taking care of the fans from their home country. If it is a small event that doesn't have to be international (or costs more to make it international), then I don't see a problem with them making it a small fun event for fans in Japan.

That's where they'd have realistic problems. If they include all languages, it'll take a long time to get through all the translations even by using electronic translations, and electronic translations aren't 100% accurate, not to mention sorting through all kinds of errors. And the sheer amount of submissions would be difficult to read through even if they're doing everything electronically. When you think about the money and time that could be spent this way, all to allow fan participation in deciding a single move name, it isn't doable.
Doesn't help that just like translating from English-to-Japanese, translating from other languages to Japanese is also problematic. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery and Stardew Valley are good examples of bad translations TO Japanese.

Doesn't help that just like translating from English-to-Japanese, translating from other languages to Japanese is also problematic. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery and Stardew Valley are good examples of bad translations TO Japanese.
Really? Why?

I'm more interested in which Steel-types will be able to learn this and whether this'll be an 'ultimate' tutor move like Draco Meteor and the Elemental ones.

Klinklang, Jirachi, Dialga, Aegislash, Celesteela, Magearna, Empoleon, Magnezone, Lucario, Heatran, Genesect and Solgaleo jump to mind, depending on the way the attack goes. (And these actually have decent special attack, opposed to mons like Scizor.)

Really? Why?
If you are asking why those games are considered bad translations, there's various reasons, like translating everything, people using wrong pronouns and speaking styles (Shane alternates between speaking like a man and a woman, for example), untranslated dialogue, singular/plural issues, not checking if the translation is accurate, leaving text untranslated (Shane again is a victim of this), etc.

I can see some of these problems showing up in the names they can use. Does somebody know if the blue/green problem also happens when translating to Japanese?

EDIT: And I forgot about false friends, which are words that look the same (or similar) in two languages but have different meanings. To put English and Japanese examples, there's "hip" (it's butt in Japanese) and "mansion" (an apartment building in Japan)

Last edited:
Shame only Japan can name it, but I have a few ideas that came to mind.

Ion Blast
Particle Cannon
Ion Cannon
Big Bang
Ion Fury
Panzer Blast

Admitting, these names took cues from Zoids (Particle Cannon, for example, is based off the of Charged Particle Cannon that Zoids like Geno Saurer possess, and Panzer Blast/Big Bang comes from Liger Zero Panzer). In relation to that, most of the name ideas come from attacks that have a recoil-like effect (a Charged Particle Cannon that isn't mounted on a "Death" Zoid requires to be anchored prior in order to avoid the recoil's force), plus some have an "overheated" side-effect (hence the 50% HP recoil). Just thought I'd toss out these ideas for fun.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom