• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers New Move Tutors

Reaction score
Since Generation 2, there have been Move Tutors in at least the second games within the same Generation. Since then, in every new game, we are guaranteed to get Move Tutors, and I am sure Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is no exception.

The situation that happened in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is comparatively a disappointment, since in that game, the same Move Tutors as Generation 5 were used, with the addition of less significant ones used as Generation 3 TMs (Water Pulse and Shock Wave are the most significant additions). Here's hoping that we have more meaningful Move Tutors this time, including Generation 6 moves!

I feel that certain moves are due for a wider distribution, such as Parabolic Charge, Dragon Hammer and Powder. Certain signature moves could even be more widely distributed, such as Forest's Curse and Trick or Treat, to better utilise their potential (yes I can see the flaw here, which is the powerful Z version of those move). It would be interesting to see what moves get more widely distributed this time.

Thanks for reading.

It'd be surprising if they didn't have some good move tutors in Alola. I mean, the professor of that region specifically studies pokemon moves! It's be totally out of place for them to not have something like this in Alola... just hopefully not blocked behind the path to the Battle Tree of Doom.

I say this everytime and it never happens, but hopefully we'll get the return of Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch Pangoro and Krookodile have so much potential I want to see them be a thing. Also so I can finally have a Shiftry without going back to Gen IV to breed one.

I might post some more later, but Sucker Punch is a big one I want to see.

Personally, I'd like to see some former Gen I and Gen VI TMs become Move Tutor moves, especially since Dig is no longer a TM in these games for some reason. Just imagine betting Bide as a Move Tutor, or maybe Fissure?

On a different note, I would love to see Powder become a Move Tutor just to see how it would wreck the meta game!

I say this everytime and it never happens, but hopefully we'll get the return of Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch Pangoro and Krookodile have so much potential I want to see them be a thing. Also so I can finally have a Shiftry without going back to Gen IV to breed one.

I might post some more later, but Sucker Punch is a big one I want to see.
Midnight Lycanroc could use something like Sucker Punch

Midnight Lycanroc could use something like Sucker Punch

They should probably just give it Accelerock tbh.

Though the Midnight form is likely going to get access to more moves than the Midday one from move tutors, since bipeds tend to have wider choices available to them than quadrupeds. Things like Dynamic Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Knock Off maybe.

Ok. Look. Gen 5 and 6 didn’t fix this issue!
Kyurem Black lacks a good physical Ice Move!
GF, just allow Kyurem to learn Ice Punch. It can punch with those ice claws in normal and with it’s normal hands when fused!

But for a new move, I gotta say, Purify gotta be up there. I know Z-Purify is too good, but imagine the cleric roles in doubles with this move!
I also want Power Trip to be a tutor move, and for sure, no wammies, Flying Press. Imagine the mixup game here!

I'd love move tutors to come back :D Some of the egg moves should be tutored.
Agreed, but even more so on making rare moves tutor moves! Moves like Stomping Tantrum could be very useful, Stomping Tantrum in particular on a stalling set(If your opponent switches in to a Pokemon that blocks a status condition, use Stomping Tantrum for mass damage!) so I hope that they become tutor moves.

B2W2 and ORAS updated movesets outsite move tutors, too, so hopefully it's ok if I just mention some movepool additions I'd like to see. (I already mentioned Decidueye and Incineroar in that specific thread, so I won't repeat them.)

Crabominable: Mach Punch
Oricorio: Encore
Lycanroc Midday: Morning Sun
Lycanroc Midnight: Moonlight
Shiinotic: Draining Kiss
Salazzle: Glare
Bewear: Play Rough
Passimian: Baton Pass
Comfey: Rapid Spin
Palossand: Will-o-Wisp
Pyukumuku: Yawn
Komala: Fake Out
Togedemaru: Iron Head
Bruxish: U-turn

I found it rather stupid that Incineroar cannot learn Sucker Punch, of all things. Heck, Decidueye was given the move and not the heel Pokemon itself?!

Well it's called Surprise Attack in Japanese, so the name arguably fits a stealthy forest hunter like Decidueye more than a heel wrestler. But I agree that Incineroar should learn it too, so I don't suppose it matters.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a variant of the ORAS move tutors if they're coming back. I'd like to use a Beast Ball Metagross because they have similar colors (yellow X across the bluish body) but unfortunately Metagross can't learn Ice Punch in Gen 7 for some reason.

And I'd rather have them use BP than shards... shards are for bottle caps.

I would love to see both "advanced" Move Tutors and updated movepools in USUM, though the Move Tutors are probably the most likely of the two. And I pray that the Move Tutors aren't locked away as post-game content. I would love it if they were scattered about the region like Platinum and have a wide variety of moves. Especially since we've lost some powerful/useful moves in the TM department, such as Dig and Power-Up Punch (though I do understand why the latter was removed, mainly thanks to M-Kanga). And like Kyriaki said, it would be better if they cost BP over Shards, since BP can be harvested a bit more easily (thanks to having 2 facilities and Poke Bank) and Shards are now best suited for bottle cap collecting. I won't list my wishes and thoughts for Move Tutor moves, since that'll take all day, but my biggest wish is that they can be accessed anytime before post-game, otherwise it'll be a wasted property yet again.

I don't mind if we don't get move tutors. They weren't a big deal in the games.

I hope they have Seed Bomb so Bounsweet , Steenee and Tsareena could learn that.
Iron Tail for Pikachu
Heat Wave for Solgaleo and Incineroar
Zen Head for Komala,Munchlax and Snorlax
Aqua Tail for Popplio,Brionne and Primarina
Dragon Pulse
Dig for Yungoos and Gumshoos
Bounce for Igglybuff,Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff
Water Pulse
Bind
Snore
Shock Wave
Bug Bite
Dive
Signal Beam
Giga Drain
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Super Fang
Dual Chop
Endeavor
Uproar
Drill Run
Iron Head
Last Resort
Hyper Voice
Foul Play
Earth Power
Dragon Rush
Superpower
Gunk Shot
Sky Attack
Focus Punch
Block
Skill Swap
Synthesis
Role Play
Pain Split
Gastro Acid
Worry Seed
Spite
Tailwind
Helping Hand
Trick
Recycle
Mirror Coat
Magic Coat
Magnet Rise
Iron Defense
Heal Bell
Air Slash
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Stealth Rock
Gravity
Electroweb
Icy Wind
Moonblast

Last edited:
Some new Move Tutor moves I would personally like to see are:
  • Power-Up Punch (with a more limited distribution than in XY and ΩRαS)
  • Parabolic Charge (decent recovery move for quite a few Pokémon who also lack proper coverage)
  • Powder (it's wasted as the signature move of Vivillon)
  • Light of Ruin (in the same vain as Draco Meteor for future generations; is currently stuck on the AZ Floette we'll never get or battle)
  • Recycle (gives more reasons to use berries)
  • Dig (it's a shame its no longer a TM)
  • Bide (as a callback of it being a TM in Gen 1)
  • Dive (former HM that would become a Move Tutor move like Surf and Waterfall became TMs)
  • Whirlpool (same reason as with Dive)
  • Nightmare (it was a Move Tutor move in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, and it would be a nice homage to the Gen II games where it was a TM)
  • Burn Up (could help shake up the meta game a little)
  • All of the terrain moves

B2W2's move tutors were pretty great at the time, so if they use those as a basis again I'm ok with that.

That said, we're gonna need some updated move tutors.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom