• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

Alterations of Wake-up slap:
Paralysis: Chiropractory
Burn: Body Chill
Poison: Inject
Confusion: Attention Shout

Wake-up Slap is itself an variation of the move SmellingSalt, the signature move of Makuhita and Hariyama that will cure paralysis and double in power when used on a paralyzed opponent.

Anyway, I feel like Run Away could be made a whole lot less useless. I mean, most of the Pokemon who can currently have it have another, better ability anyway, but being able to escape from Pokemon like Shadow Tag Chandelure and Wobbuffet, Arena Trap Dugrtrio, Magnet Pull Magnezone as well as any Pokemon that can use Mean Look, Wrap, Fire Spin, Block, etc. could be incredibly useful under the right circumstances. Also, the potential duality present in a new Pokemon with Run Away and either Filter or Solid Rock would be so cool and revealing about how their trainer chooses to fight.

Last edited:
I really think that all moves and abilities should have some use in Trainer battles. Including stuff like Teleport and Run Away.

Teleport - Altered into a Psychic-type version of U-Turn/Volt Switch.

Run Away - (Wild) Enables guaranteed fleeing and switch-outs. This Pokémon is immune to Pursuit's damage bonus.

Illuminate - Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon and enables moves to hit Ghost-type Pokémon.

Etc.

Web hammer : pokemon entagles the foe with web/vines and throws them up into the air before crashing them back into the ground. 30% flinch

damage 75
accuracy 90

Swarm : pokemon calls in reinforements to the battle to protect it.

raises defence by 2 stages.

Hover : pokemon uses wings to flot in the air for a prolonged period of time

effect lasts 4 turns.
pokemon is immune to all ground type moves while its in effect.
pokemon loses its flying type characteristic while this move is in effect(if the pokemon is not flying type all other affects apply)

claw dash : user attacks the foe in a last ditch attempt to win the battle

power 40
accuracy ----

move hits without fail. ignoring evasion modifiers
power doubles if pokemons health is in the red bar.

inner strength : pokemon summons power deep within to perform previously impossible feats.

damage 50
accuracy 100

damage is increased depending on the weight of the oppnent. max power 150
weight modifers do not apply. 50 base damage always applys.

pokemon is immune to ground type moves while this move is in effect

I had an idea of an ability called Lie In, which adds 50% on to sleep time but allows Pokémon to gain, say 10% HP per turn while asleep.

If Fennekin is indeed fire / psychic it got me thinking for a move that could be influenced by both of those. I came up with a fire type attack that was usuable by psychic pokemon. Like Will o wisp but for psychic types. It would involve manipulating fire towards the target (with psychic powers) in same fashion.

Ghost type moves.

Abomination : the user uses its power of shadow disrtortion to take on a horrible form to frigten the enemy and lower its defences

effect : lower opponents sp.defence by 2 stages.

Doomsday : user summons all of its other worldy power into its body before releasing it all at once, extreme daamage is taken by the user, only ghost types can use this move.

power 120
accuracy 100

effect : users loses 1/4 of its remaining health.evvansiss and acuracy modifers apply if this move misses the same amout of damge will be dela tto the user. if the user has below half health this move will fail.

Shadow theaf : user cunningly steals the foes shadow to copy its stat changes

effect : user copys all stat changes previously made by the foe, along with all future changes the opponent makes. If the opposing pokemon is withdrawn stat changes for the user will return to normal

dark type move

moonlight allteration : moonlight now increases the power of all dark type moves by 50% while its in effect

Sneak jab : sharp claw/sword is energised by the user to deal more damge

power 50
accuray: 100

effect: users critical hit ratio is 2 stages higher when using this move

Dark Catastrophe : the user uses it dark heart to summon clouds to block out the sun befoe attakcig the foe from all angles in a rush of anger.

power 120
accuracy 100

effect : move cancels out any existing weather alterations, this move cannot be stopped by protet or detect, user must take a recharge turn after using this move

Stealth Rock even goes against law of logic imo, seeing how it affects flying and levitating pokemon, whereas Spikes don't.

In-game description of Stealth Rock:The user lays a trap of levitating stones around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

And how can exactly rock pokemon make them levitate? They're not psychic users. Flying pokemon should still have no problem avoiding even those.

A pokémon did it!

I understand your hate for SR, I agree wholeheartedly that it was an awful idea, what the fuck was the person in charge of making new moves was thinking? BUT, if you start asking questions such as these, we'll have to discard so many nonsensical moves, it's a completely fruitless task to ask how the game physics work.

If Fennekin is indeed fire / psychic it got me thinking for a move that could be influenced by both of those. I came up with a fire type attack that was usuable by psychic pokemon. Like Will o wisp but for psychic types. It would involve manipulating fire towards the target (with psychic powers) in same fashion.

So pyrokinesis, then?

Stealth Rock even goes against law of logic imo, seeing how it affects flying and levitating pokemon, whereas Spikes don't.

In-game description of Stealth Rock:The user lays a trap of levitating stones around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

And how can exactly rock pokemon make them levitate? They're not psychic users. Flying pokemon should still have no problem avoiding even those.

A pokémon did it!

I understand your hate for SR, I agree wholeheartedly that it was an awful idea, what the fuck was the person in charge of making new moves was thinking? BUT, if you start asking questions such as these, we'll have to discard so many nonsensical moves, it's a completely fruitless task to ask how the game physics work.

Actually I think a plausible answer could be made, if we connect the move to gravity... Rocks = Earth, Earth has gravity right? So it's just a matter of harnessing that elementary fact to your liking, using the great level of earthen power the rock Pokemon has accumulated, making it able to switching the gravity around these rocks.

I'm just mad at how it can hit pokemon who are high in the skies, and that it's often hard to evade that move or evade it without paying. (it should be at least turns-dependant, or number of pokemon hit dependant. The way it is now way I can quite safely say that it's op.)

Last edited:
an over 100 dark move

pitch black, covers the screen with a black mist and is an AOE attack where a scream is made

grass equivalent to splash, fluff?

A physical fire type move base 90+ that doesn't have recoil would be sweet. Flare blitz me no likey.

I think a Psychic type move that deals additional damage if the user is behind a Reflect/Light Screen would be neat, allowing them to net some offensive power from setting up defensive barriers. I'm thinking 60 base power without a screen, 90 with one and 120 with both. Could be called "Dispersion Pulse" or something along that line.

I think a Psychic type move that deals additional damage if the user is behind a Reflect/Light Screen would be neat, allowing them to net some offensive power from setting up defensive barriers. I'm thinking 60 base power without a screen, 90 with one and 120 with both. Could be called "Dispersion Pulse" or something along that line.

The name "Dispersion Pulse" almost makes it sound like the move shoots the screens at the opponent.

Reposting from somewhere else, but I've thought of the idea of "PP-less moves" which will be passive "moves" which don't have any PP but still takes up a move slot. They don't count as moves for the purpose of Last Resort or Struggle and each Pokémon must have at least one non-PP-less move at all times.

Here are the PP-less moves I've thought of:
  • Sunrise - Category: Status; Type: Fire; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Brings in intense sunlight for 5 turns(8 with Heat Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Storm Call - Category: Status; Type: Water; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Summons rain for 5 turns(8 with Damp Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Sandcloud - Category: Status; Type: Rock; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Kicks up a sandstorm for 5 turns(8 with Smooth Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Chilly Winds - Category: Status; Type: Ice; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Makes it hail for 5 turns(8 with Icy Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Cancel Weather - Category: Status; Type: Psychic; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Removes weather when this Pokémon switches in.
  • Dirty Strike - Category: Physical; Type: Dark; Power: 20; Accuracy: 100; PP: —; Effect: Gets in an extra attack at the beginning of each turn.
  • Careful Aim - Category: Status; Type: Normal; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Pokémon always moves last in its priority bracket, but gets 10% more accuracy and a one stage higher chance of a critical hit.
  • Toxic Absorb - Category: Status; Type: Poison; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: At the end of turn, recovers 1/16th of max HP for each poisoned Pokémon on the field.
Just an idea to change things up.

Stealth Rock is only OP in 6v6 singles. The official formats of picking 3 out of 6 singles or 4 out of 6 doubles have a lot less switching.

The name "Dispersion Pulse" almost makes it sound like the move shoots the screens at the opponent.

I was thinking of the attack being a beam of light, which the screens disperse into spectra to unleash the full potential of the attack. Though the name isn't really important, I was speculating more on the functionality.

I was thinking of the attack being a beam of light, which the screens disperse into spectra to unleash the full potential of the attack. Though the name isn't really important, I was speculating more on the functionality.

Like sunlight passing through a prism?

Reposting from somewhere else, but I've thought of the idea of "PP-less moves" which will be passive "moves" which don't have any PP but still takes up a move slot. They don't count as moves for the purpose of Last Resort or Struggle and each Pokémon must have at least one non-PP-less move at all times.

Here are the PP-less moves I've thought of:
  • Sunrise - Category: Status; Type: Fire; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Brings in intense sunlight for 5 turns(8 with Heat Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Storm Call - Category: Status; Type: Water; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Summons rain for 5 turns(8 with Damp Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Sandcloud - Category: Status; Type: Rock; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Kicks up a sandstorm for 5 turns(8 with Smooth Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Chilly Winds - Category: Status; Type: Ice; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Makes it hail for 5 turns(8 with Icy Rock) at the end of the turn this Pokémon comes in.
  • Cancel Weather - Category: Status; Type: Psychic; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Removes weather when this Pokémon switches in.
  • Dirty Strike - Category: Physical; Type: Dark; Power: 20; Accuracy: 100; PP: —; Effect: Gets in an extra attack at the beginning of each turn.
  • Careful Aim - Category: Status; Type: Normal; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: Pokémon always moves last in its priority bracket, but gets 10% more accuracy and a one stage higher chance of a critical hit.
  • Toxic Absorb - Category: Status; Type: Poison; Power: —; Accuracy: —; PP: —; Effect: At the end of turn, recovers 1/16th of max HP for each poisoned Pokémon on the field.
Just an idea to change things up.

These honestly sound more like abilities than "passive moves" that should take up a slot. Why take up a valuable move slot when it can be an ability or a held item? Or, when it comes to weather, why not just manually set up with Sandstorm, Hail etc that are available to a vast amount of Pokemon already? Or better, use a Pokemon that automatically summons the preferred weather from the start.

"Sunrise", "Storm Call", "Sandcloud" and "Chilly Winds" are already taken up by the abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning. As well as being activated as soon as the Pokemon is switched in, they last for the entire battle until replaced. I know those are only available to a few Pokemon, but moves like Rain Dance and Sunny Day are available to a whole bunch of Pokemon so I think adding passive weather "moves" would be a bit redundant. Besides, if you're battling with a weather team, you'd probably use the weather summoners anyway.

Same goes for "Cancel Weather", only thing being that it works exactly like the Air Lock and Cloud Nine abilities.

The idea is that by using up move slots, you can gain additional passive effects in addition to your Pokémon's ability and item. The move slot is, of course, rather expensive, but you still have more of them than you do of ability or item slots.

Not really too sure yet what power level these moves should have. At the moment though, I wanted to have weather moves that aren't strictly better than the existing weather moves but still able to provide an alternative to the ability-based weather-starters. Moves are generally more widely available than specific abilities, so this can allow a greater variety of Pokémon to start weather in weather-based teams. That's the idea, anyways.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom