• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

Temperance - The user can use rampaging moves without locking itself in.
Altaria, Bellossom and Gallade would all get this as secondary ability, as well as new Pokemon that rely heavily on those types of moves and are characterised by tranquility/discipline. In Gallade's case, a Psychic or Dark-type version of Outrage being introduced would make the ability useful.

Cruel Thorns- Contact moves remove an additional 1/8 of the target's total health.
Secondary ability for Simisage, which Cacturne would also get. A reverse Iron Barbs, which could be useful for wearing down bulky opponents.

Ocean Spray (Refreshing Fountain) - Water type moves heal the user and adjacent Water-type Pokemon for 1/8 of their total health when used.
Secondary ability for Simipour, which Pelipper would also get. Most notably this would allow recoil free Life Orb, and synergises well with Substitute.

Heat Stress - Maximises special attack when hit by a critical hit.
Secondary ability for Simisear, which Torkoal would also get. Special version of Anger Point which might be useful in doubles, as both Pokemon resist Frost Breath.

Pressure Strike: When hit by a Super Effective move on the same turn as this move is used, this move does double the damage.

Haunting (Ability): When this Pokemon faints, the opposing Pokemon is inflicted with the [curse] status affliction

Agile (Ability): This Pokemon attacks twice when it uses weaker moves. Moves 60 base power or less go twice, so essentially doubling the power, twice the critical hit ratio and twice the likelihood of secondary affects occurring.

Battle-Worn (Ability): This Pokemon becomes stronger when it is at a lower amount of HP. A reverse Defeatist, could be interesting with Focus Sash, Sub, pinch berries, etc.

Cultivate (Ability): This Pokemon rejuvenates berries consumed, especially during rainy weather. Basically a rain equivalent to Harvest

Gamble (Ability): Every turn, this Pokemon or the opposing Pokemon is dealt damage. 6.25% damage done at turn end, 50:50 chance.

Time Out (Move): This Pokemon becomes unable to move for two turns, but in return gets +6 boost to both Defenses.

Driven (Ability): This Pokemon gains an Attack boost when it is at low health. Similar to Swarm/Blaze/Torrent/etc except gives a boost to stat rather than move type.

Impatient (Ability): This Pokemon does not need to recharge after using moves. Frenzy Plant, Hyper Beam, etc do not have a recharge turn. with this Pokemon

Downcast: Receives an Attack boost during Rainy weather, Attack drop during Sunny weather

Poker Face: This Pokemon is unaffected by priority moves.

Last Chance: This Pokemon receives an Attack and a Special Attack boost if it is the last unfainted Pokemon in your party

Mind Control (Move): 50% chance to be able to choose your opponents move (as well as your own) the next turn

Impatient (Ability): This Pokemon does not need to recharge after using moves. Frenzy Plant, Hyper Beam, etc do not have a recharge turn. with this Pokemon

I like this. But maybe there should be an additional effect where if you use either of those moves right after without a recharge period, it lowers the HP by a set amount. The idea of recharging is because these moves are so powerful that they drain all energy from the user, hence the recharge period. HP decreasing as a side-effect could be like saying the body is being strained from lack of rest.

I like this. But maybe there should be an additional effect where if you use either of those moves right after without a recharge period, it lowers the HP by a set amount. The idea of recharging is because these moves are so powerful that they drain all energy from the user, hence the recharge period. HP decreasing as a side-effect could be like saying the body is being strained from lack of rest.
Yeah, that could definitely be another side effect. I had it original in mind for something like Primeape, who would gain a boon from Giga Impact at his disposal without recoil. Logically, your suggestion makes more sense, but I'm happy with either of them.

One thing I've noticed in general with the movesets is that in terms of physical vs. special moves, a lot of types have way more of one than the other (in most cases, whichever of the two that type was before 4th gen), and the other is lacking options. This is something that I feel they need to fix in XY. They don't (and probably shouldn't) have to completely balance it out, just make sure that each type has an adequate number of moves for each so Pokemon that happen to specialize in the other don't get screwed (for instance, Flareon, who tends to not be particularly useful because it lacks a good physical Fire type move to make use of). In particular, I think we need more of the following:

physical Grass type moves
physical Fire type moves
special Rock type moves
special Flying type moves
special Fighting type moves
physical Psychic type moves
special Dark type moves

Subjugate - Damage is calculated using the user's defensive stats.
I had this in mind as a secondary ability for Vespiquen, and it also fits Serperior (though the latter is more than satisfied with Contrary). It has great synergy with Defend Order, letting you build up your defense and offense at the same time. I think such a difficult Pokemon to obtain deserves a more powerful ability than Pressure, considering its lackluster stats.

Treachery - This Pokemon deals 25% more damage to opponents which share one of its types.
I'd expect to see a lot of Dark types with this ability. From the current Pokedex, Weavile, Spiritomb and Amoongus would get it.

Last Stand - Boosts Attack and Speed if this Pokemon is the last one left (10% for each fainted ally).
Donphan, Swellow, Zangoose, Seviper and Beartic would get this as a secondary ability.

Last edited:
Agile (Ability): This Pokemon attacks twice when it uses weaker moves. Moves 60 base power or less go twice, so essentially doubling the power, twice the critical hit ratio and twice the likelihood of secondary affects occurring.
This sounds really really powerful. Kinda like a better Technician, which I think is already considered to be a powerful ability.

This sounds really really powerful. Kinda like a better Technician, which I think is already considered to be a powerful ability.
Yeah, to balance it would be better suited as moves 50 BP or less.

That'll still be something that's better than Skill Link on average. It could be pretty powerful with moves like Flame Charge, Fury Cutter, or Rollout.

What I have always wanted: A move that swaps weaknesses and resistances of the target pokémon (team? field?), for a limited number of turns, yet leaves the type unchanged.

Kind of like Trick Room. So say, your typical Dragon/Flying now has 1/4 resist to ice, yet is weak to Grass/Fire/Water. Immunities in general and abilities (Thick Fat, Dry Skin, Levitate) wouldn't be affected.

Seeing we've gotten a few interesting moves in Gen V succesors to Trick Room, I think something like this could be viable.

I'd also like to see more moves like Psyshock, Psystrike, and Secret Sword, ones that calculate different stats in damage calculation. Maybe even an ability that functions similarly, either swapping the stats, or using one or the other in all calculations.

What I have always wanted: A move that swaps weaknesses and resistances of the target pokémon (team? field?), for a limited number of turns, yet leaves the type unchanged.

Kind of like Trick Room. So say, your typical Dragon/Flying now has 1/4 resist to ice, yet is weak to Grass/Fire/Water. Immunities in general and abilities (Thick Fat, Dry Skin, Levitate) wouldn't be affected.

Seeing we've gotten a few interesting moves in Gen V succesors to Trick Room, I think something like this could be viable.

If abomasnow had this, it would be unstoppable.

That'll still be something that's better than Skill Link on average. It could be pretty powerful with moves like Flame Charge, Fury Cutter, or Rollout.
Skill Link vs. Technician is an interesting discussion. Taking something like Cinccino's Tail Slap (25 base power) Skill Link guarantees it'll hit for an effective 125BP, on the other hand Technician boots the base power of each hit (25 -> 37) so the move's total damage output varies from "Slash" to "Hyper Beam" levels, with an average of "Take Down".

And don't forget that since most sure-shot techniques have a BP60, Technician works on them too.

If abomasnow had this, it would be unstoppable.

I think you mean usable for something other than its ability.

My friend and I were discussing the idea for an anti-Stealth Rocks/Spikes ability, and we came up with:

GRAVITATE: Upon entering the battle field, Stealth Rocks / Spikes take effect on the pokemon, but subsequently get removed (in reality ABSORBED into the pokemon), increasing the defence of the pokemon by one stage for each type of Entry Hazard absorbed (so even if there are 3 layers of Spikes, only 1 increase would occur).

This won't take effect with Toxic Spikes, because there's already a way of ridding the field of them.

I'd imagine some heavy Rock or Steel type would have the ability, bolstering its already decent Defence-stat.

Also, there was talk earlier in the thread about a Water-type move that could freeze.
What about:
Jet Freeze
Type: Water
Category: Special
PP: 15 (max. 24)
Power 75
Accuracy 100%

Effect: 10% of Freezing.

Here's the twist... During a Hailstorm, the attack turns into an Ice-type move that deals physical damage (still uses Sp. Attack Stat).

Last edited:
My suggestion is that there should be a grass type version of Eruption and Water spout. We have a fire type move and a water type move like both of them, so why not a grass type move? Here is my suggestion;

Flower bloom

Power:150

The user blooms a giant flower under the foe, the lower the users HP , the less powerful it becomes.
Correct me if someone already posted this.

Also,we need a move that freezes your opponments pokemon
Here is my idea;

Freezing gale
Power:-
The user releases a freezing gale from its mouth or wings.Fails if your target is a ice type.Freezes for at least 3 turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about move similar to entry hazard, but it would be in your spot instead of foe´s and it would heal you a little (1/4 or 1/8 I can´t decide) :) Everytime you switch in, your pokémon would be healed a bit

So we know of two new moves: Parabola Charge and Parting Remark. The first one seems to be like an Electric-type Mega Drain/Giga Drain (hopefully the latter, because it's stronger). Parting Remark seems to be like U-turn/Volt Switch, but instead of dealing damage it lowers the opponent's stats then switches out... so maybe like Memento except you don't suicide yourself (probably won't lower the opponent's stats as much as Memento though).

They sound neat actually. I really like the idea of an electric healing move.

Parabolic Charge's description makes it sound like it can hit multiple Pokémon like Discharge. That would add an interesting twist to the Drain-style attacks.

I'm wondering what stat(s) Parting Remark will lower... I really like the idea of it though.

Is it Parting Remark or sharp remark? The bulbapedia news article said Sharp Remark, i thought? Either way it sounds like it would be dark type to me, not that it matters what type it is if it doesn't do damage. I like the idea of an electric drain attack as well.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom