• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

I don't know if Battle Cry will lower an enemy's Attack by two stages. The only pokemon we know can learn it seems to be something that will obtained relatively early in the games, and Game Freak won't allow a trainer to obtain a pokemon that can learn such a powerful stat drop move that soon.

Atomic Bomb: Fire-type move. A Pokémon launches the huge fire ball at the sky, and drops onto the land to destroy all in-battle Pokémon's HPs. Hurts all the player's Pokémon. One-hit KO move.

Sure, the Japanese will make such a move.

Pressure Strike: When hit by a Super Effective move on the same turn as this move is used, this move does double the damage.

Haunting (Ability): When this Pokemon faints, the opposing Pokemon is inflicted with the [curse] status affliction

Agile (Ability): This Pokemon attacks twice when it uses weaker moves. Moves 60 base power or less go twice, so essentially doubling the power, twice the critical hit ratio and twice the likelihood of secondary affects occurring.

Battle-Worn (Ability): This Pokemon becomes stronger when it is at a lower amount of HP. A reverse Defeatist, could be interesting with Focus Sash, Sub, pinch berries, etc.

Cultivate (Ability): This Pokemon rejuvenates berries consumed, especially during rainy weather. Basically a rain equivalent to Harvest

Gamble (Ability): Every turn, this Pokemon or the opposing Pokemon is dealt damage. 6.25% damage done at turn end, 50:50 chance.

Time Out (Move): This Pokemon becomes unable to move for two turns, but in return gets +6 boost to both Defenses.

Driven (Ability): This Pokemon gains an Attack boost when it is at low health. Similar to Swarm/Blaze/Torrent/etc except gives a boost to stat rather than move type.

Impatient (Ability): This Pokemon does not need to recharge after using moves. Frenzy Plant, Hyper Beam, etc do not have a recharge turn. with this Pokemon

Downcast: Receives an Attack boost during Rainy weather, Attack drop during Sunny weather

Poker Face: This Pokemon is unaffected by priority moves.

Last Chance: This Pokemon receives an Attack and a Special Attack boost if it is the last unfainted Pokemon in your party

Mind Control (Move): 50% chance to be able to choose your opponents move (as well as your own) the next turn

So many of these are darn overpowered.

Last edited:
Pokémon Abilities in XY

I noticed that we don't really have any information about Pokémon abilities in Pokémon XY. If we did, feel free to correct me.

I only remember two hints about abilities existing at all: First was Heioptile's description sounded like the ability Solar Power; and the second was the mention of Levitate and Haunter having it in the context of Sky Battles.

I find the lack of mention rather odd; does anybody think it might've gotten a big change, such as learning new abilities through level or some sort of ability machine like we do with moves? What do you want to happen with abilities in Pokémon XY?

Re: Pokémon Abilities in XY

I noticed that we don't really have any information about Pokémon abilities in Pokémon XY. If we did, feel free to correct me.

I only remember two hints about abilities existing at all: First was Heioptile's description sounded like the ability Solar Power; and the second was the mention of Levitate and Haunter having it in the context of Sky Battles.

I find the lack of mention rather odd; does anybody think it might've gotten a big change, such as learning new abilities through level or some sort of ability machine like we do with moves? What do you want to happen with abilities in Pokémon XY?

This thread also sorta relates to what you're talking about.

This thread also sorta relates to what you're talking about.
That's about changes to specific moves and abilities, nothing about the ability system.

...And this thread isn't about ability systems either...

I would love to see pokémon able to have multiple abilities. Some of them can feel like they aren't worth having.

I'd like to see a revamped move and ability system where you have a reserve of moves and abilities known and assign the ones you want to the available slots. It might be a good way to differentiate pokémon by varying the number of slots available to individual species. Four slots for moves makes a lot of sense for sweepers with broad move pools, but other strategies could attain better balance by having more slots for all those moves that otherwise wouldn't be worth taking up a space. Same thing with ability slots on otherwise statistically lackluster pokémon.

There should be a Dark-type move called Condemnation. It should have between 100 and 150 damage. If it's higher range, it can have an accuracy less than 100 (about 70-85).

The name is a little long. I think they've made it so things can have slightly more letters than before, but probably not by that much.

Fairy Missile: Fairy-type move. A Pokémon fires multiple magical "missiles" to attack the target. Multiple-strike move.
Freeze Kick: Ice-type move. A Pokémon kicks the target, making the target frozen. Similar to Blaze Kick, but different type.

I don't know if Battle Cry will lower an enemy's Attack by two stages. The only pokemon we know can learn it seems to be something that will obtained relatively early in the games, and Game Freak won't allow a trainer to obtain a pokemon that can learn such a powerful stat drop move that soon.

I don't know where you're coming from with this - we don't even know what level Shishiko will learn the move.

Earth Spire
Ground, Physical, no contact.
70 BP, 100% Acc.

Hits a pokémon high in the air, bypassing immunity to Ground moves (From Flying-type, Levitate, Magnet Rise, Balloon, etc). It bypasses the semi-invulnerability stage of Fly and Bounce too. Non-airbone pokémon have a 10% flinch.

The move basically is hitting a flying pokémon with a tall pointy structure from the ground. Possibly making allusions to the Tower of Babel and Space Elevators.

Sky Battles otherwise pretty much exclude an entire type (with the sole exception of Gliscor defensively), this would make an interesting surprise attack if anything. Also pierce the heavens jokes.

According to the official website, Noble Roar lowers the opponent's Physical Attack and Special Attack--presumably both by one stage.

I don't know where you're coming from with this - we don't even know what level Shishiko will learn the move.

True. I was just speculating on the move's effect.

I think Keldeo's Resolute Form should get a new ability. Simply make it so that you can't trade Resolute form between Gen V and VI so there are no connectivity issues.

Resolute
Effect: Keldeo's speed stat is doubled. Like Huge Power and Pure Power, this ability stacks on top of normal stat modifiers.

This is based off of it's BW2 entry:
When it is resolute, its body fills with power and it becomes swifter. Its jumps are then too fast to follow.

Seriously though, it's like people who write the dex entries are completely ignored by people who design the abilities/stats sometimes. I can think of a few other examples, but I'd love for Keldeo to not be useless. Maybe you can let it slide in BW2 because it was clearly a movie tie-in, but in Gen VI, it doesn't even get that.

Doubling it's speed outside of stat modifiers allows Keldeo to be naturally faster than even Deoxys-S, and to also achieve a maximum speed above any known Pokemon so it certainly would do justice to it's dex entry that it is "too fast to follow"

I think Keldeo's Resolute Form should get a new ability. Simply make it so that you can't trade Resolute form between Gen V and VI so there are no connectivity issues.

Resolute
Effect: Keldeo's speed stat is doubled. Like Huge Power and Pure Power, this ability stacks on top of normal stat modifiers.

This is based off of it's BW2 entry:
When it is resolute, its body fills with power and it becomes swifter. Its jumps are then too fast to follow.

Seriously though, it's like people who write the dex entries are completely ignored by people who design the abilities/stats sometimes. I can think of a few other examples, but I'd love for Keldeo to not be useless. Maybe you can let it slide in BW2 because it was clearly a movie tie-in, but in Gen VI, it doesn't even get that.

Doubling it's speed outside of stat modifiers allows Keldeo to be naturally faster than even Deoxys-S, and to also achieve a maximum speed above any known Pokemon so it certainly would do justice to it's dex entry that it is "too fast to follow"

Pokedex entries are nothing to go by. Pidgeot can fly with speeds matching Mach 5. Dragonite can fly around the world within 16 hours. I'm unaware of the reasons why they create crazy Pokedex entries like those, especially when their stats don't even slightly show it. Dragonite's base speed is only 80, there are tons of faster Pokemon than it.

Pokedex entries are nothing to go by. Pidgeot can fly with speeds matching Mach 5. Dragonite can fly around the world within 16 hours. I'm unaware of the reasons why they create crazy Pokedex entries like those, especially when their stats don't even slightly show it. Dragonite's base speed is only 80, there are tons of faster Pokemon than it.
I know they aren't really anything to go by, but they clearly changed the entry to reflect its new form so why not for once in their lives, go with it so that Keldeo's Resolute form doesn't become the most useless relic of Gen V.

I'm pretty sure the moves we've seen Xerneas/Yveltal using are their signature moves (not Hyper Beam as some have said, because both moves are very different). They're both some kind of 'beam' anyway, but Xerneas' looks very fairy like to me with the sparkles and everything.
Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 4.49.01 PM.png

And Yveltal's looks typically like what most Dark moves seem to look like (at somewhat of a stretch anyway)?
Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 4.49.26 PM.png

I'm pretty sure the moves we've seen Xerneas/Yveltal using are their signature moves (not Hyper Beam as some have said, because both moves are very different). They're both some kind of 'beam' anyway, but Xerneas' looks very fairy like to me with the sparkles and everything.
View attachment 88199

And Yveltal's looks typically like what most Dark moves seem to look like (at somewhat of a stretch anyway)?
View attachment 88200

Yveltal is definitely firing off a Hyper Beam.

I don't think so. Xerneas definitely isn't, and I can't see them animating one hyper beam and one not. The swirling colours before Yvletal's attack don't seem to relate to hyper beam in my opinion, but the sound definitely does.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom