• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

I wonder if Strong Jaw is going to boost any move related to the head region.

Serebii is saying Tyrantrum is advertised with Head Smash.

I was honestly expecting a Rock or Dragon Fang/Bite move.

Maybe Head Smash, Headbutt, Iron Head, and the like will get a boost?

I wonder if the additional coverage will come at the expense of another type advantage. Like say Freeze Dry hits Water types for super effective damage, but is resisted by Ground types or something. I can't see them handing out extra type advantages without some kind of drawback, especially if it's not just Ice types that have these kinds of moves.

I sort of doubt that if for no other reason than it would take a lot of text to explain that on the moves description. The drawback will probably actually be in the move's base power. For example, it'll probably only be something like 60, meaning using it as an Ice move is kind of meh and if that's what you want you're better off with ice beam, instead encouraging it's use as a Water-killer, where the boost probably means it's more like 80, which isn't too shabby. (Numbers are hypothetical, of course)

even if it is power 40.... against a water type (normally half damage) it will instead deal double damage (4x the 'expected' for ice against water) so even a measly base 40 power would be essentially 160 against a water type (before taking secondary types/stab into consideration) or something like that. pardon my 4am math. lol

even if it is power 40.... against a water type (normally half damage) it will instead deal double damage (4x the 'expected' for ice against water) so even a measly base 40 power would be essentially 160 against a water type (before taking secondary types/stab into consideration) or something like that. pardon my 4am math. lol
That's not really the case.

The main move to compare it to would be Ice Beam, which has 95 power. While it will beat Ice Beam in power against Water-types if Freeze Dry was 40 power, at Ice Beam's effective 47.5 power vs Freeze Dry's 80, Freeze Dry will only have 40 vs 95 power against neutral targets, and 80 vs 190 against those Ice is 2x against. This will make a move with more general neutral effectiveness, such as Hyper Voice, which has 80 power, more effective generally. STAB makes Freeze Dry a bit better, but not really worth using over Ice Beam and another type coverage move.

I think 80 power would likely be the best. Some power is sacrificed compared to Ice Beam in exchange for better coverage. There'll still be a reason to use either, I think.

I just love how the Frozen status looks now!

img_new_31_cap_05.jpg

I wonder if the moves I predicted in my Fixing the Grass-type blog will be realised. Basically one move will be treated as a Fire-type but it's got Grass STAB (this is something Grass Type Warrior suggested, so credit to him). Another move is basically a move that treats certain types with reversed effectiveness, but only for switch-ins because I was afraid a more permanent effect will be too good.

Thanks for reading.

Hip hip hooray for Freeze Dry! Hopefully water types (or any other types) don't get their hands on this for some inexplicable reason. I mean, they could give this move 80 power and it still wouldn't make Ice types usable (let alone too powerful) in competitive play, so why not make it a nice powerful move. Though this is likely going to be quite the boost for the few part-Ice types who are already usable if they get it.

I hope scald doesn't get SE on Ice. If that were the case, I think they would have given Ice a Water resistance, so that Scald and Freeze Dry would be mirrors of each other. A Water resistance for Ice really would have made sense (What do you do to replenish a skating rink? You put water on it!), but alas, it didn't happen.

I never understood the Water resistance to Ice. Ice freezes water, yeah? How is that a resistance?

I never understood the Water resistance to Ice. Ice freezes water, yeah? How is that a resistance?

Think of the sea. Sure Ice freezes Water, but ice is less dense, so the sea never completely freeze. In addition, ice is basically just water in solid state. That's why the move Freeze-Dry is SE on water because it's dry.

Knuckle Crack - Fighting - Raises Attack, Accuracy and critical hit chance.

I found this video on the Japanese Pokemon YouTube channel - any idea what the move Sylveon uses is? Looks like a new one to me
[video=youtube;EPJxQVgOQ98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJxQVgOQ98[/video]

I mean, it's obviously a Fairy type move, but not one that we've had revealed yet I don't think.

We talked about it like 2-3 ago. No names is given for the move yet, but judging from the SE sound, it's Fairy type. Someone noticed the similar sound effect between the move and sound made by party horns so they fannamed it party horn.

We talked about it like 2-3 ago. No names is given for the move yet, but judging from the SE sound, it's Fairy type. Someone noticed the similar sound effect between the move and sound made by party horns so they fannamed it party horn.

Man, I really need to read every single page on here but it's too much. Oops.

Sorry if someone else suggested something like this, but...

Frozen Stalagmites-The user causes frozen stalagmites to grow from underground. It damages foes upon switching in.
So basically, it is the ice-type Stealth Rock. You thought Stealth Rock was bad enough for your poor little Mulitscale Dragonite? How about 50% damage on switch in every turn, without other hazards? Yes, it factors type effectiveness. Unfortunately, if this move existed, R.I.P Dragon types, but it is a decent way to redeem Ice types.
Learners:
Dewgong
Cloyster
Lapras
Articuno
Forretress
Swinub family
Corsola
Glalie and Froslass
Regice
Abomasnow
Glaceon
Arceus
Gigalith
Vanillite family
Cubchoo family
Kyurem
Amaura family

They should probably stop with entry hazards so that simply switching in would cause a Pokemon to faint.

With three layers of Spikes (25) and a x4 weakness to either Stealth Rock or an Ice variant, and another neutral hit by the other...you have a Pokemon losing 100% of its health by simply existing.

EDIT:

So its actually 25% on Spikes, but still, you get the point, especially if we get more elemental spikes.

However, an Ice entry hazard that freezes the opponent's feet causing them to slow down might have very interesting competitive uses, especially in a metagame that values speed.

Last edited:
An idea I had for entry hazards would be one that overwrote them.

For example: a Grass type move that makes moss grow, turning all Stealth Rocks on the field into a Grass-type version, or Spikes into some kind of healing layers.

Actually, on the note of the later, a reverse entry hazard sounds interesting in itself. Maybe not as buffed as spikes, but healing 1/16->1/8->1/4 or something upon entry would be interesting.

Last edited:
The problem with entry hazards is that they are like a chain letter. A player uses them, another player would think that if he or she uses them, it would be stupid if I don't use them, it's free damage anyway. Then, it turns out everyone who plays competitively uses them.

Actually, on the note of the later, a reverse entry hazard sounds interesting in itself. Maybe not as buffed as spikes, but healing 1/16->1/8->1/4 or something upon entry would be interesting.

Fairy Ring - a ring of mushrooms pops out of the ground around the user healing it and allies whenever they switch in.

Fairy Ring - a ring of mushrooms pops out of the ground around the user healing it and allies whenever they switch in.

But is there any way to get rid of it? We have moves to remove entry hazards.

What about an icicle-based hazard (don't ask what they're hanging from, beats me), that only damages flying/levitate pokemon. There's the added factor that the flying ones would be weak to ice. Fails in Sun, can be removed by sound-based attacks, and falls causing damage when Earthquake is used. Pretty much exclusive to Ice types so as not to totally wreck the metagame, but give them an actual use.

Boosts sun a bit (as opposed to the current rain dominance). Hurts flying types a bit though, they don't need to be hurt. Actually, this could be really bad for things like Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon. But then again, with Ice types being hardly viable it could add an element to the game.

'Do I use my Dragonite and hope my opponent doesn't have a pokemon with this move? Or do I not use my Dragonite, and hope to make my opponent waste a slot with an otherwise-weak Ice type?'

Last edited:
I said on the first page that I wanted to see an Ice version of Stealth Rock.

To keep it fair for those weak to both Rock AND Ice, how about a Grass version like Thorns? Hopefully it would be obvious that it would be different than Spikes on the surface. (maybe a better name... Thicket? Briar?)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom